I am a little bit surprised this this aircraft hasn't been brought up earlier for another STGB.

I mean the first one way back in 2015 and even then I surprised there hadn't been an STGB for it already.

She is a bit of a forgotten aircraft and is over shadowed by the Mustang & Thunderbolt, but it was a very important aircraft with over 10,000 being built. It did everything during the war with claims that 90% of all aerial film taken over Europe was from a P-38.

But it was in the Pacific that it was most successful in the hands of America's top aces, Bong, McGuire and MacDonald.

So why not build one....or 2 or 3 or be like Enzo and build a squadron! :D Plus with Tamiya's new jewel and possible/probable variants there's now no reason not to.

...and da list:

1, trickyrich  - Host

2, TEMPESTMK5

3, Corsairfoxfouruncle

4, dnl42

5, gingerbob

6, JohnT

7, GREG DESTEC

8, stevehnz

9, franky boy

10, peterairfix

11, Arniec

12, Beazer

13, rafalbert

14, jrlx

15, torbjorn

16, grufsnik

17, John Masters

18, JOCKNEY

19, diases

20, almac

21, kir

22, Dansk

23, Andwil

24, Scargsy

25, alt-92

26, Hockeyboy7627,

27, wellzy

28, Ozzy

29, Alan P

30, AdrianMF

31, Wez

• Like 2

I have the Minicraft 1/48 F-5E kit. Google doesn't think it's the easiest kit to build. I wonder what it would take to build this as de Saint-Exupery's F-5B?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dnl42 said:

I have the Minicraft 1/48 F-5E kit. Google doesn't think it's the easiest kit to build. I wonder what it would take to build this as de Saint-Exupery's F-5B?

the base aircraft is the same, it's just the camera locations and openings that are different. The B's are a bit further forward and lower, while the F's sit up and back a bit and have fairings around them.

I do have some good drawings showing the difference if you are interested.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, trickyrich said:

the base aircraft is the same, it's just the camera locations and openings that are different. The B's are a bit further forward and lower, while the F's sit up and back a bit and have fairings around them.

I do have some good drawings showing the difference if you are interested.

I would be very interested in this. 

welcome along everyone, I'll start a list shortly.

9 hours ago, dnl42 said:

I'll try and post it here a bit later.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, dnl42 said:

as promised.

P-38J-10-LO%20Recon%20(F-5B-1-LO)-XL.jpg

P-38J-15-LO%20Recon%20(F-5E-2-LO)-XL.jpg

I had to do a wee bit of re-scaling and tweaking so that each view is the exact size of the other. There is a wee bit of mod work required to make the earlier version, but at least you don't have to add fairings! I am not 1005 sure of the underside nose camera's, I suspect they may be the same on both. 

I hope this helps.

• Thanks 2

@trickyrich, thanks! :thumbsup:

It looks like the Minicraft kit is an F-5E-4, with its 4 cameras and fairings. If i read this correctly, the previous versions apparently had 3 cameras without fairings.

What is the source of these drawings?

welcome along all and I will get a list started.....

10 hours ago, dnl42 said:

@trickyrich, thanks! :thumbsup:

It looks like the Minicraft kit is an F-5E-4, with its 4 cameras and fairings. If i read this correctly, the previous versions apparently had 3 cameras without fairings.

What is the source of these drawings?

it's from the Mushroom Model Magazine Special - Yellow Series 6109, Lockheed P-38J-L. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be available anymore, I checked on the MMP Books website.

• Like 1

On 20/06/2020 at 07:50, trickyrich said:

. It did everything during the war with claims that 90% of all aerial film taken over Europe was from a P-38.

I have seen that statistic before but it does surprise me greatly. I think the source is American and perhaps should read that 90% of all US aerial film taken over Europe was from the P38??

1 hour ago, JohnT said:

I have seen that statistic before but it does surprise me greatly. I think the source is American and perhaps should read that 90% of all US aerial film taken over Europe was from the P38??

mmm same here, it seemed a bit over the top. Since then I've read a few bits here and there and it's really interesting.

One bit from a research note on the 30th PRU (they were part of the 67th Tact. Recon Gp), lists in a 5 day period over Xmas 44, 96 missions (all single aircraft missions) producing 9 miles of film, 44,000 negatives, and 154,000 prints!

On a side note with rough numbers ~750 PR Mosquitos built and ~ 1400+ PR P-38's.

I think I may have to invest some more time and money in books on this subject s it's really interesting reading.

By the way chalk me up with either a Droop snoot/radar pathfinder, Recon, or night fighting “M”. I have a good set of photo’s from the inside of both a droop snoot and pathfinder radar nosed versions. Ive been wanting to build one of them for years. 

20 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

By the way chalk me up with either a Droop snoot/radar pathfinder, Recon, or night fighting “M”. I have a good set of photo’s from the inside of both a droop snoot and pathfinder radar nosed versions. Ive been wanting to build one of them for years. 

I have plan drawings like those of the Recon birds above if that's a help, just PM me.

9 hours ago, peterairfix said:

Count me in as I have just got my paws on a nice tamiya 1/48 one 

Welcome along, I think that one will be a popular choice!

• Like 1