In-colour close up of an Fw 190F-8

Sturmovik

The film shows several (different) aircraft.  The 190F-8 has the twin underwing racks, and no guns fitted outboard.  The one with the 4 x MG151/20 wings (i.e., outboard guns) was a Fw 190A-8.

The 50 cm yellow cowl band, and yellow rudder was a marking ordered for Luftflotte 4 aircraft from 7.March 1945 on.  This marking replaced the yellow fuselage band and 25 cm 'V' marking on the port wing underside (overlappng onto the leading edge and top surface by 60 cm) which had been ordered on 22.Sept. 1944 (to be completed by 25.September).

GRM

• Like 3

The F-8 being taxied appears in Airfoil No 1 and is captioned as being at Herzogenaurach in Germany.

According to Steve Sheflin, it is Wk Nr 588453 '<Green2' - a Gruppe Adjutant's aircraft. Note the dented air intake bulge on the cowling, and the flat tyre on the tailwheel. Whether that prevented the aircraft from being flown or happened after landing we'll never know. 

Source: Sheflin S (1983) Airfoil 1 Costa Mesa, California

BTW, the 5 Airfoil magazines are well worth tracking down if you can, despite their age. They are full of rare and unusual pictures of WW2 aircraft from both participating sides. The 'Last of the Luftwaffe' features across the issues are worth the price of purchase alone in my view. 

SD

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SafetyDad said:

The F-8 being taxied appears in Airfoil No 1 and is captioned as being at Herzogenaurach in Germany.

According to Steve Sheflin, it is Wk Nr 588453 '<Green2' - a Gruppe Adjutant's aircraft. Note the dented air intake bulge on the cowling, and the flat tyre on the tailwheel. Whether that prevented the aircraft from being flown or happened after landing we'll never know. 

Source: Sheflin S (1983) Airfoil 1 Costa Mesa, California

BTW, the 5 Airfoil magazines are well worth tracking down if you can, despite their age. They are full of rare and unusual pictures of WW2 aircraft from both participating sides. The 'Last of the Luftwaffe' features across the issues are worth the price of purchase alone in my view. 

SD

Agree - I have 2, 4 and 5, 1 is on order and I would dearly love to get hold of the last one ! Any idea where to find it, other than scanning eBay and Amazon repeatedly? 

Edited by torqueofthedevil
Silly mistake!

18 minutes ago, occa said:

Very nice clip but it's not in color, it's just colorized and that in a poor way.
All the personal are mostly in grey tones.

Not sure that I agree. Steve Sheflin's articles in the Airfoil magazines I mentioned above include screen captures from this film. Sheflin is a well respected Luftwaffe researcher and writer, and I'm sure woyld have considered the possibility of colourised pictures/film. The colours have shifted considerably - that it obvious, but I believe they are original.

SD

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, torqueofthedevil said:

Agree - I have 2, 4 and 5, 1 is on order and I would dearly love to get hold of the last one ! Any idea where to find it, other than scanning eBay and Amazon repeatedly? 

:)

I had to look for a while for my set - I finally found them in a now-closed Military Book seller's shop in Heaton, Newcastle. I asked if he had any, and, because they were softcovers, I think he rather dismissed them as 'serious' publications. I got all 5 for £10!

Two available here - https://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/SearchResults?sts=t&cm_sp=SearchF-_-home-_-Results&an=&tn=Airfoil&kn=Sheflin&isbn=

Doesn't say which two issues these are.

Good luck with your search!

SD

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

What are the things on the prop blade roots, seen here at 2.30,  clip is linked to that time. Nor something I have seen on a Fw190 prop before?

I think they are counterweights to reduce vibration

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, torqueofthedevil said:

Agree - I have 2, 4 and 5 and would dearly love to get hold of the other two! Any idea where to find them, other than scanning eBay repeatedly? 

1 hour ago, SafetyDad said:

:)

I had to look for a while for my set - I finally found them in a now-closed Military Book seller's shop in Heaton, Newcastle. I asked if he had any, and, because they were softcovers, I think he rather dismissed them as 'serious' publications. I got all 5 for £10!

Two available here - https://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/SearchResults?sts=t&cm_sp=SearchF-_-home-_-Results&an=&tn=Airfoil&kn=Sheflin&isbn=

Doesn't say which two issues these are.

Good luck with your search!

SD

Many thanks! 

This info from my fellow 1/72 enthusiast Mark in Poland (who posts his superb models as "Kitir" and "hobbykiller" on other sites): The radial-engine Fw 190 actually used 5 different propellers over the course of the war.: 

VDM 9-12067A, the normal metal prop seen on earlier versions.

VDM 9-12067B, same prop, with the external counterweights. (Which were part no. VDM 9-12153.51)

VDM 9-12153B, metal prop on later variants, with slightly wider blades.

VDM 9-12153C, same prop, with the external counterweights.

VDM 9-12176A, the wide-blade wood prop. 

The latter three types were all used on machines manufactured late in the war, though the wood one is most common on the A-9 and F-9, with the up-rated BMW 801TS engine. We are likely seeing the 12153B and 12153C on the A-8 and F-8 in the video.

Edited by MDriskill
Minor O-C disorder
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2