Dragon Tiger 1 Initial Tunisia and AFV Bussing NAG 4500A

BobC

A returnee to the hobby and straight in at the deep end with a project combining a Tiger and Bussing NAG crane in an engine out scene, what could possibly go wrong 😆

I've already built the crane as far as I could go before setting it in the final scene. If I have worked out image loading a few pics should follow and I'll say a bit about each. The designer of this kit has become my arch nemesis, why mold one componoint when six will do the job just as well must have been their daily mantra.

Building up the chassis, 

p?i=abc1898ab71f026cfd31721eee913b3a

p?i=b5aacbd8eb746135c6034e44c8cdda26

Edited by BobC
  • Like 4

"The designer of this kit has become my arch nemesis, why mold one componoint when six will do the job just as well must have been their daily mantra."

Just started a kit with very similar problem. I got annoyed after the first axle so put it away "for a later date".😀

Good luck with this project. It sounds very interesting.👍

• Thanks 1

A bit of work on the can interior next. 

For the paintwork I'm using brushes throughout, don't yet have an airbrush so it's old school for me. These Lottie's were typically shipped over to N Africa painted grey and we refinished in theatre with green brown and often an olive camo. My lorry crew are a tad lazy and only painted the visible parts, hence the interior remaining grey along with the chassis underside. No camo yet, a second line vehicle and a crew that couldn't see the point of it 👌

p?i=1e498ca7c705d8bb9aaaa747f58d78a2

p?i=63dc0f1e322d5ac5a02dd983c79e5bde

Used a touch of Chrome and steel to add highlights and areas of wear.

Most of my paints are vallejo acrylics with some from Tamiya, enamels from Revel and Humbrol with a few airfix freebies that came with a kit. Nothing fancy on the brush front, a few I bought and some I found in the man drawer.

p?i=db0b9637f447816d1152202e77cfbbc1

• Like 4

A little bit more work on the chassis, adding some corrosion onto the leaf springs and chassis members.

p?i=9078b3d1a2a5d02b5afceee253ed8220

Painting up the tool box, lots of options on this, various panels can be set open or closed so lots of choice for the modeller.

p?i=5578b830335646c324f1627655043091

p?i=901867d594d38fd68a487decd354ffb3

Fillng away on the door glass allowed me to set the window partly wound down.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Tool box nearly complete. Leaving this open at the top and the left hand side.

p?i=2883a5fc8b33a89144ea591debcaa895

Crane built and decals on, lots of them. Lots of detail on the crane and had a go at weathering this, mainly used a fine brush to apply highlights and shades

p?i=5100c31b882fc9bbb0d61664b92ca3f2

p?i=714c8dd9137a4d4409dc2fbc9cca3dbc

• Like 1

Jerry cans built up, nice etched parts for these. Slung underneath and a few spares which I'll use in the diarama

p?i=9042a89ed62fa0fa905c6df36326b241

p?i=b3db24997f87193166d0115c239843ef

Lots of towing equipment fitted to the rear deck, all of which could be used for a variety of scenes

p?i=bfc1d0dda27c1c43e5d9ef15cdf76c05

• Like 5

About to start the Tiger tank. This particular Dragon Initial Tunisia is not the 131 kit they also produced. There are some glaring errors between my kit and the more accurate 131 kit. I'll point these out as I proceed, I wont be correcting them, but I also wont be modelling 131, I'll be modelling 122, although some of the errors remain at least I wont get the Bovington crew on my case :)

I have ordered up the Engine bay kit from the USA and will also buy in some maintenance crew and a field workshop.

I also fancy trying some Friul metal tracks. I notice they provide two sets for the initial tiger. One described as a mirror set consisting of 2 sets of 110 links and the other set described as 220 links (early). Does anyone know if there is a difference between these sets?

If your doing a 501 Tiger you got your work cut out for you ...im doing 142 at the moment, big project so it's being done in spurts whilst i do other things...i'm assuming your going for something like this......

spacer.png

spacer.png

On the tracks if your doing an african Tiger you need the initial fruil tracks as they dont have the chevrons on the links..... set ATL116 .

Edited by M3talpig
  • Thanks 1

On 10/07/2020 at 11:14, M3talpig said:

If your doing a 501 Tiger you got your work cut out for you ...im doing 142 at the moment, big project so it's being done in spurts whilst i do other things...i'm assuming your going for something like this......

spacer.png

spacer.png

On the tracks if your doing an african Tiger you need the initial fruil tracks as they dont have the chevrons on the links..... set ATL116 .

Thanks for the info regarding the tracks. Made a start on the Tiger, my kit has errors on the paint codes, you could end up painting all the wheels the wrong colour along with the hull, then having to disassemble it all and repaint. That  would be a beginner's error, wouldn't catch me doing that, no siree.

It's Ral 8000, not Ral7028, a couple of reviews pointed this out, should have read them first!

• Like 1

On with the Tiger tank, initial production, Tunisia. This shot shows a measure of the technical achievement of the design and it’s strategic weakness. It was so complex, sucked up industrial capacity and capability along with scarce resource. Can you imagine if they had designed a simple tank with sloped armour and had five thousand available by 1940. Luckily for us they wasted inordinate effort on complex tanks, tactically good, but always defeatable.

The interleaved road wheels allowed for larger wheels and the number, over forty, have an unbeatable track pressure. Steel wheels, initially Clad in rubber, hybrid electric drive.

Found that this kit does actually contain some of the correct parts for 131 should you wish to model it, such as the latter hinged rear mudguards.

p?i=6e1510c9703c01abd342c08c35231290

p?i=aedba99972d2bd2c890ac737255de905

p?i=12a7027592ce0dd5f02dbc998c3521ea

p?i=58fe17999ad5a8047413f71be23aa588

• Like 2

Progress is good bud ...what kit is the Tiger..i mean manufacturer of it? And i think it was only the Ferdinand Porsche design chassis that had the hybrid drive ...and substandard engineering just isn't in a German engineers vocabulary:D

Edited by M3talpig

It's the Dragon early Tunisia kit. Not the specific 131 kit, but it does include a lot of sprues from that kit and you could build most of 131 if you wanted. Lots of spares for the future that's for sure. A lot of updates to post on the build, I'll sort that out over the weekend.

• Like 1