Alpha Jet!

57 minutes ago, JayBee said:

Sorry, I hope it works now. :)

Nope - have you got permissions set for public?  I get the on google photos if I don’t make the folder public

Feels a lot more solid now.  Wing & tail fit is tight & the body is feeling more robust. Going to need some nose weight - haven’t got the exhausts fitted

zKQ8NyP.jpg

There would be gaps either side of the cockpit where the intakes are.  So added covering plates either side of the rear seat.  And started adding some cockpit detail.  Really need the seats now to see how much space these is to play with.  Going to build a central instrument block behind the front seat, but again need seats to fit it

9xiZIcY.jpg

Glued the wing halves together so when that is dry I can build up the sawtooth

Edited by bar side
  • Like 2

The back is glued together now & working forward.  The lower central panel is also in.  Fit is fair to poor, as expected!  Test fitting the exhausts now

EtaBoCG.jpg

jrSPrST.jpg

They are not as bad as it looks.  The blutac is pushing them forward.  Want to get them on & start building up the fit with some liquid green.  Well it was liquid, now more of a slightly spreadable green clay.

Cockpit got a quick coat to even it up.  The resin seats have dispatched, so hopefully get them soon.

QRkGsf1.jpg

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Repeat after me, 'Old kits can be fun, I enjoy a challenge'. Well, if it fell together you'd be bored by now.

If it fell together it’s probably out of my price range!

• Haha 3

I do worry that sometimes an old kit, replacement decals, lots of resin options, perhaps these newer kits aren’t that much more expensive.  That why I prefer scratch building modifications rather than buying them.  Got a nice Valom kit with etch parts already in it.  Looking forward to that one

• Like 2

Just wondering if the angle on the exhausts is right.  They seem to be pointing outwards & downwards.  Ends have been thinned down from the standard kit parts.

3TcO64G.jpg

So compared to the real thing - walk through area on here

027.jpg&key=f82de2ce909ef16b622dd67fd235

Seems they are about right!

• Like 4

Now the tail.  Must be a E tail.  A bit curvy on top & not as straight an pointy as it should be.  So a bit of sanding to shape.  And the upper ‘winglets’ for want of the correct term - not seen on a Germany model.  And where is the bullet above the rudder?

jTRonaB.jpg

20943668316_f9a4269d27_b.jpg

Also, shouldn’t there be a left hand size bulge ahead of the rudder, looking like it houses the operating gear?

41857.jpg

time to get out the filler & dremel I think

For the Prototype 40+01 the antennas on the tail are correct, but later removed on serial Alpha Jet. Plz note the landing lights in the wings ( early Prototypes didnt have any lights on the landing gear) These  lights in the wings where also removed on serial AJ.

21 minutes ago, JayBee said:

For the Prototype 40+01 the antennas on the tail are correct, but later removed on serial Alpha Jet. Plz note the landing lights in the wings ( early Prototypes didnt have any lights on the landing gear) These  lights in the wings where also removed on serial AJ.

Thanks for that JayBee.  I have been struggling to search up specific airframe reference photos.  I would prefer a serial Alpha Jet - would it be too simple to switch around the decals to 40+10?  Then no antennas & wing lights?

• Like 1

You´re welcome! Yes 40+10 would be possible and have no antennas and wing lights. Some of the stencils on serial AJ looks different compared to the 40+01 Prototype. But if you can live with that difference, go ahead and use the kit decals. :)

I remember the kit and the horrible fit very well, I built this kit as a young teenager and even back in the days and for my young age I was very dissapointed about the quality of the kit. 😀  In my opinion the Esci Fiat G 91 was much more better in quality and released and built by me at the same timeframe.

Good to see both kits here again on the bench! :)

Kind regards,

Jürgen

• Like 1

Decals have de-yellowed a bit with some time on the windowsill and some sunshine

4tR8oxu.jpg

going to try to use as many as possible, with the code being edited to 40 + 10 rather than the prototype 40 + 01 with its non production features.

Wing sawtooth extension stared with a new frame in plasticard, then in filling with car body filler.

r3kDcYu.jpg

Control columns in, some paint on the seats, decal side panels on

YUwJGJ4.jpg

And with that I put the body together.  Instrument panels drop in from above later and the seats won’t be fixed in until the canopy goes on

Nice work on the sawtooth extensions. Cockpit looks also good. I am sure you have already noticed it, but all the trailing edges will benefit of some sharpening, including the jet pipes and their cowlings. You are going to be busy with this old lady, but the result will be rewarding. I also like a lot these old jets from '60s to '80s and the Alpha Jet is still flying. As you saw, I am working (slow) on the ESCI-Italeri G 91, and also with that probably there will not be a single piece not requiring a modification. But this is part of the fun, isn't it?

Good modelling,

Daniele

Cheers Daniele.  I was watching your G 91 build when choosing between the Gina and the Alpha Jet.  Nice work on your build.  The jet pipes have been sharpened up.  The cowling was already pretty good, currently blending it in to the body as fit isn’t great.  I would love to pose the canopy open but I just don’t think it’s worth the risk cutting it so it will have to stay closed.  You learn far more from having to fix up an old kit than from just following the instructions of a new one.  It’s funny how so many old kits were rushed out and based on the prototype and don’t represent the production aircraft.

• Like 1

Quick sand down after yesterday’s car filler in the tail end and the saw tooth.  Not done yet - at least one more coat of filler & sand back plus touch up the scribed lines.  Seats are painted but just dropped in.  No panels yet & large lump of blu tac for a nose weight

qwKecDa.jpg

Nose is blu taced in place but starting to look like an Alpha Jet

7wn1Cqd.jpg

• Like 4

3 hours ago, bar side said:

qwKecDa.jpg

The air intakes area just doesn't seem to be quite right, does it? Could this be one of the details from the actual aircraft that ESCI didn't manage to depict adequately?

Not sure on the intakes.  Better angle here

mqpPJn7.jpg

Dornier_Alpha_Jet,_Germany_-_Air_Force_J

Don’t forget the canopy will have some paint, there is no wing shadow on the model and the nose is on with blutac and she has no wheels yet

• Like 1