F-4C Phantom 1/72 USAF

Now that is one smart looking Phantom.  You have done a superb job on the painting - which paints did you use?

You now have a huge choice of SEA aircraft to dive into and if this is anything to go by then you and us lot are in for a right treat!!!

Well done buddy.

Phil

Hi Phil, I used Gunze Sangyo paints, acrylics. Thank you for the comments, making a F-105G in SEA camo at the moment.

Kind regards 

Justin 

Justin M,

You've done a fantastic job on the old Italeri kit. Most everybody know the lacking of detail throughout the kit. I have done a couple in the very early release of this series. Mostly the E and the RF-4C. Still have a number in both 1/72nd and 1/48th scale.

The aircraft you modeled is the ride of the wing commander Col. Robin Olds. You have done him proud. This aircraft now sits at the USAF museum Dayton Ohio USA.

IMG_3241

This jet past through many hands and upgrades before it went to the museum. You've got the pattern and decals spot on. My question is the AIM-9J missiles. The missile were being used in country because the loadcrew I was assigned to at Udorn RTAFB loaded many a missile on the F-4D. We also loaded the AIM-9E along with the AIM-7E. The guidance assembly or seeker head was white. Missile seeker heads didn't change color until 1977 when the AIM-9L/M made it debut. Just my thought from an old aircraft armament systems technician (bomb loader).

Here are a few more images from way back when of said subject and its pilot.

1069874_10200957986844276_1864427130_n olds Col_Robin_Olds_checks_jet IMG_3242

The latter is Col. Olds flight suit, g-suit, survival knife and helmet. I believe the only thing missing is the .45 cal pistol. That if he carried one or not. I do know our aircrews at Udorn had both the knife and pistol.

Use these images to paint aircrew member for USAF aircrew that is.

Again you did a fantastic job of the F-4C Phantom. Looking forward to your next project.

All The Best.

Ron VanDerwarker

Msgt. USAF Ret.

F-4D/E B-52D F-111D,E,F aircraft

• Like 2

Hi Ron, thank you for your interesting and informative response. I have read a bit about Col Olds and his famous TFW and Op Bolo. I started reading books on the Vietnam air-war a couple of years ago and now seem to be interested in nothing else. I have a F-105G underway and then on to a USAF A-7 after that. Thanks for the comments on the AIM-9s. I'm not too hot on the types of AIM-7s. 

Kind regards 

Justin 

Justin M,

A distance shot after an August rain. Same airbase Udorn RTAFB August 1972

F-105G-561stUdornFoxArea

It's from Korat RTAFB with I believe 388th TFW 561st TFS. It's carrying 2 AGM-45 Shrike outboard pylons and a silver(dirty) centerline fuel tank. Cheap camera and album got wet. Also to wet your whistle an A-7 from the same unit. These jet were there on a temporary basis or TDY as we called it.

A-7D_70-0982_3TFS_388TFW A7-cap

I have loads of information collected over the past 30 or more years. So give me a shout if you come across something in question. I was stationed at RAF Lakenheath from 1977 to 1980 for the arrival of the F-111F. BTW when we left Udorn in late November 1972 RAF Lakenheaths folks began to show up to replace us.

All The Best

Ron VanDerwarker

• Like 1