Looking for a new Air brush

Corsairfoxfouruncle

Hey everyone I have two Iwata Airbrushes. The  main one is an HP-BCS the alternative is an Neo. The BCS has a 2oz paint jar and .50 needle/nozzle. The Neo has a .35 set-up with a gravity fed cup. The Neo has been rebuilt three times and I'm tired of fixing it as its too fragile. For one you aren't supposed to remove the nozzle ever according to the owners manual. Except how are you supposed to keep them clean without removing the nozzle. Thats where the whole fragile issue comes in, when I go to re-insert the needle it can catch on the internals and the tip gets bent. I bent my last nozzle while cleaning the air brush, I dropped it and it landed right on the nozzle giving it a nice bent tip. Ive gone through two needles and one nozzle since Christmas. Cant really complain though sonce Ive had the Neo ive done close to 50 models for $49.00 + parts so definitely got my $£€ worth out of it ? 

Im looking for answers does Iwata make a paint cup for the BCS ? If so I can be a happy camper until I can replace the Neo. Just by doing that. Are cups and jar connections universal sized ? If so I can get a badger or a Paasche siphon feed cup. Second question is does the Iwata and Badger series use the same size hose connections ? In other words are they a universal size or no ? Id consider going back to a Badger to replace the Neo. Last question is does anyone have a recommendation as to an Airbrush with .3 or .35 needle that is relative lower cost like a Neo but not so fragile. I can get another Neo for $49.00 locally so I'm looking to keep it under $70.00 overall. Thank you in advance for any suggestions or tips ? 

Dennis

4 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Second question is does the Iwata and Badger series use the same size hose connections

No. Badger uses a smaller diameter connection, but an adapter should be easily available to rectify this. Or get a quick disconnect with the appropriate male connectors for the brushes, how I use my Badger and Paasche brushes on the same hose without futzing with connectors the whole time. Granted though I do have a Badger -> Iwata connector on my Badger to fit the quick disconnect from way back, and the Iwata male part fits the Paasche female section perfectly, so that at least looks universal in my limited experience. Best do some research to get a work around. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Dennis, you should be able to switch out your HP-BCS needle/nozzle with a 0.35mm one for less than $50 if you want to go that route. I have the gravity fed version of your HP-BCS (Eclipse HP-CS) with a 0.35mm needle and use it to shoot my heaviest paints/primers (Stynyrez) no problem.

Or, you could use the 40% coupon at Hobby Lobby to go get another Eclipse with a 0.35 mm needle for $90. Then you'd have a 0.35 and 0.5 and two very robust nice spraying airbrushes for different tasks (although, again I've found the 0.35 Eclipse nozzle to work great with heavy stuff, so maybe the 0.5 would be redundant).

As far as hose connections, Badger is the outlier with its own size - everybody else I've used (Iwata, H&S, Creos, Olympos, Paasche) have compatible connections. It's pretty cheap to get quick connects for both sizes though, making them compatible and convenient.

Anyway, feel free to PM me if I haven't bored you to death. I love talking about this stuff.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/19/2020 at 1:59 AM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Last question is does anyone have a recommendation as to an Airbrush with .3 or .35 needle that is relative lower cost like a Neo but not so fragile. I can get another Neo for $49.00 locally so I'm looking to keep it under $70.00 overall.

Have you considered the humble Badger 200 single action airbrush. I have been using my Badger 200Il with a medium needle for nearly 40 years now and it’s fantastic airbrush (I have several versions) but I seem to use my oldest one for 99% of my airbrush work and I airbrush about 99% of my model I seldom use a brush other than for last bits of detail painting. I detail paint with the airbrush

I sent my Badger 200IL back to Badger factory in the USA about five years ago and they did a complete refurbish. Badger replaced the internal bush, new nozzle and needle and posted it back to me in the UK all completely FREE - I was “blown away” by Badger’s incredible service

i can take the Badger apart if I need to (it’s really easy) it’s a very simple robust design. So about once every six months I take my airbrush apart and give it a good clean. I have yet to replace a needle or a nozzle (Badger factory did this for me five years ago) and I seldom have trouble with it.

I have several other airbrush brands as well. 

I have an Iwata Neo with two needles - used it once only, did not really like it so it’s in the cupboard unused these past eight years

I also have a Holbein double action airbrush that I bought about 35 years ago and it’s great . I only use the Holbein for spraying AlClad paint as it (for some reason) produces a Fantastic finish with chrome paint 

I also have a Badger Renegade double action airbrush that I bought about 8 years ago - but still haven’t used it yet. I honestly haven’t needed the double action as I find I can spray very fine lines with the Badger single action airbrush so I haven’t bothered to set it up

the Badger 200IL costs around $50 and a couple years back they were as cheap as $36.00 and I bough a few for spares but I don’t need them really the old one is so reliable 

• Thanks 1

Don’t think Iwata do paint cups for the BCS.  However, both Paasche and Badger make paint cups for their suction airbrushes - I suspect the diameter of the tube is the same so will probably work in the BCS.

I’m a Brit but I took advantage of the 40% Hobby Lobby coupon to buy an Eclipse CS on one of my many business trips to the US.  That made the Eclipse CS around $90 which is a steal - and that included an Iwata pistol grip moisture trap too.

Used many 40% coupons on my trips - especially handy when you realise they don’t keep any sort of record of use so you can use as often as you want.

Cheers,

Nigel

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Microbike said:

Have you considered the humble Badger 200 single action airbrush. I have been using my Badger 200Il with a medium needle for nearly 40 years now and it’s fantastic airbrush (I have several versions) but I seem to use my oldest one for 99% of my airbrush work and I airbrush about 99% of my model I seldom use a brush other than for last bits of detail painting. I detail paint with the airbrush

I sent my Badger 200IL back to Badger factory in the USA about five years ago and they did a complete refurbish. Badger replaced the internal bush, new nozzle and needle and posted it back to me in the UK all completely FREE - I was “blown away” by Badger’s incredible service

i can take the Badger apart if I need to (it’s really easy) it’s a very simple robust design. So about once every six months I take my airbrush apart and give it a good clean. I have yet to replace a needle or a nozzle (Badger factory did this for me five years ago) and I seldom have trouble with it.

I have several other airbrush brands as well. 

I have an Iwata Neo with two needles - used it once only, did not really like it so it’s in the cupboard unused these past eight years

I also have a Holbein double action airbrush that I bought about 35 years ago and it’s great . I only use the Holbein for spraying AlClad paint as it (for some reason) produces a Fantastic finish with chrome paint 

I also have a Badger Renegade double action airbrush that I bought about 8 years ago - but still haven’t used it yet. I honestly haven’t needed the double action as I find I can spray very fine lines with the Badger single action airbrush so I haven’t bothered to set it up

the Badger 200IL costs around $50 and a couple years back they were as cheap as $36.00 and I bough a few for spares but I don’t need them really the old one is so reliable 

Actually it is on the list I used a Badger for many years and still love them. 

3 hours ago, nheather said:

Don’t think Iwata do paint cups for the BCS.  However, both Paasche and Badger make paint cups for their suction airbrushes - I suspect the diameter of the tube is the same so will probably work in the BCS.

I’m a Brit but I took advantage of the 40% Hobby Lobby coupon to buy an Eclipse CS on one of my many business trips to the US.  That made the Eclipse CS around $90 which is a steal - and that included an Iwata pistol grip moisture trap too.

Used many 40% coupons on my trips - especially handy when you realise they don’t keep any sort of record of use so you can use as often as you want.

Cheers,

Nigel

Yes I didn't get the chance to post it last night but Badgers 50-483 cup fits perfect. I saw one yesterday for $7.50 and thought Id give it a punt for that. Used it last night and happy that i can use my BCS without having to waste so much paint. 

9 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:
5 hours ago, Microbike said:

Actually it is on the list I used a Badger for many years and still love them. 

I really enjoy the Badger. This is the one I bought back around 1981 (box is from a more recent purchase - see below)spacer.png

and below in the next photo are the other versions of the Badger 200 (I use the one with the tiny cup on top for small detail work - Top Right airbrush)

i haven’t use the Badger with the largest cup yet (lower right airbrush)

Top left is another siphon Badger 200IL but I haven’t used it either since the Badger factory refurbished the old Badger 200 (center with the bottle attached) I have use the older Badger so much that the colour of the rear tube is faded quite a bit over the years) 

spacer.png

I use the Tamiya Mini bottles to mix all my paints see right this bottle has TS13 Clear Gloss and I just screw it straight onto the Badger - works a treat (I cut the siphon tube to suit the shorter Tamiya bottle)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve just destroyed my Neo, whilst reattaching the nozzle - the threaded section separated from the tip when I tightened it up... It’s not very robust, so I’m in the market for a replacement too - I don’t think I’d get another Neo after the issues I’ve had.

Will do some research on the other brands mentioned above.👍

• Sad 1

Just ordered another Neo... I’ll be more careful this time! I can also use the old one for spares possibly, should I ever need any...

If I can remove the sheared off nozzle from the old and get a replacement, I’ll have a spare airbrush too.👍

It was a good airbrush, just fragile!

• Like 1