Help identify a model please

Deckie

I remember being given an aircraft kit for my birthday when I was a kid and being so excited about it. Unfortunately, the build turned out to be a bit too advanced for me at the time (I was used to making small Airfix kits) and I made a bit of a pig’s ear of it. I’ve searched extensively online but I doubt any will still be available now. It would be great if I could find one, relive those moments and build it properly this time. Or at least find some old pictures of it.

My memory of it is a bit sketchy, I don’t remember the name of the aircraft or the kit manufacturer (though I’m sure it wasn’t Airfix) but it was in a really big box so would have been quite a large scale, maybe 1/32 or 1/24. The kit would have been made in the late 60s or more likely in the early 70s. It was a WW2 plane and it had hinged wings that folded up and undercarriage that retracted. It could have been a Corsair F4U or something similar but I’m not entirely sure. There was a lot of detail on the radial engine, it was made up of lots of parts and you could open various hatches to see it. The instruction book was extensive and called for lubrication of the moving parts ("lube" with an arrow) and at least one point, the application of a heated screwdriver (which I wasn’t able to do at the time).

Does that ring any bells with anyone? I don’t know if that’s enough detail but any thoughts or pointers would be appreciated.

Did a bit of quick research and the only kit that comes close to fitting your description is the old Monogram (now Revell) 1/48 scale F4U-4 Corsair. It had folding wings and retractable landing gear. 1/48 scale probably doesn't sound large but if, at the time, you were building 1/72 scale Airfix kits, the box for a 1/48 scale might have seemed large indeed, to a kid. I can't think of a 1/32 scale model from that time frame (I'm nearly 70 years old and have been building models, off and on, for years) that matches your description though there are enough veteran model builders at this site who can provide a world of help if what I mentioned doesn't match your need.

4 minutes ago, Dunny said:

1:32 Monogram/Revell F4U-1?? It would be the right vintage...

Right vintage and right scale but that kit doesn't have folding wings or retractable landing gear. I thought the same as you did and checked the internet. As best I could tell, the model didn't have retractable landing gear or folding wings. The only kits I can recall from that period that had operating features (folding wings, retractable landing gear, bombs that dropped, turrets that swiveled, etc,) were the Monogram 1/48 scale kits. F6F Hellcat (wings folded back and gear retracted) and TBF Avenger come to mind (same as Hellcat). And of course the F4U Corsair.

Monogram originally released a Helldiver (SB2C) in the early 60s according to Scalemates. It was typical Monogram from back then, the wings folded, landing gear retracted, bomb bay opened and canopy could be slid open or closed. I vaguely remember building one (not all that well I suspect) while I was still in high school, (I  graduated in ‘63)

Sounds to me like Revell's 1/40 Skyraider, originally released in 1959 but subsequently re-released several times over the years:

192451-12192-13-pristine.jpg

http://cs.finescale.com/fsm/m/online/1579432.aspx

See here for complete history:

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/revell-h269-198-douglas-ad-6-skyraider--192451

• Thanks 1

Many thanks everyone for all the suggestions.

I thought it may be the 1/48 Monogram Corsair SAT69 but when I found an old listing on eBay, the parts look far more sparse in the box than I remember...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-48-Revell-Monogram-F4U-4-Corsair-Gullwing-WW2-Plastic-Scale-Model-Kit-6833-/193418192768?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l10137.c10&nordt=true&rt=nc&orig_cvip=true

Yes it probably looked bigger to me then, I was probably about 12 at the time. However, compared to the Airfix kits I was used to, the box was enormous and the depth of the box made it very appealing.

I looked at a few pics of the Lindberg 1/48 kits John but didn’t see anything very familiar.

It could have been the Monogram Helldiver Chuck but I don’t remember that long canopy.

As far as I can see, the Skyraider looks very familiar Space Ranger. Although the box looks a lot earlier, if it was updated and re-released in the early 70s and still had the detail, folding wings, etc. it could well be the one 😁. I’ll have to dig down into the various websites and see if I can find more evidence! I might put an alert on eBay just in case.

Edited by Deckie

There happened to be one on eBay with the same box as in JagRigger’s link showing the same instructions as above so I snapped it up! Shame to make it up as it’s survived in kit form since 1966 but I figure that’s what it was made for and I haven’t bought it as an investment. I feel guilty now, is that bad? If it turns out ok maybe I’ll post pictures in the Ready for Inspection section.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Deckie said:

Many thanks Space Ranger, these are the instructions for the Skyraider I was talking about which confirms it...

https://www.scalemates.com/products/img/1/5/0/168150-80-instructions.pdf

You're most welcome. I was thirteen when that kit was released and badly wanted one, but couldn't afford it on my meager allowance. Revell released one other kit in that odd 1/40 scale: Bell's X-5. It had as many moving parts as the Skyraider! I was given that one as a gift and successfully managed to assemble it, and everything worked!

I’m familiar with the feeling, I was the same when I saw the kit in a shop in about 1972 and when I said it was what I wanted one day an auntie we were with went went and bought it for my birthday there and then 😊.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Space Ranger said:

Sounds to me like Revell's 1/40 Skyraider, originally released in 1959

That's what I was thinking, too! About the only USN large scale single-engine kit that had all the features he described. I knew it was an odd scale, but couldn't recall what it was. I remember I built one as well as their F-102A that had all the operating features and ground support equipment, if memory serves.

Mike

3 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

That's what I was thinking, too! About the only USN large scale single-engine kit that had all the features he described. I knew it was an odd scale, but couldn't recall what it was. I remember I built one as well as their F-102A that had all the operating features and ground support equipment, if memory serves.

Mike

I have a complete F-102 kit as you describe. No, you can't have it!

30 minutes ago, Space Ranger said:

I have a complete F-102 kit as you describe. No, you can't have it!

Low-down, cattle-rustling sidewinder! 😥 I would be willing to trade a couple of Mach 2 kits for it...ha! :giggle:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, andyf117 said:

The 1/32 Revell F4F Wildcat sounds like it would fit the bill - folding wings, openable engine panels:

https://indy-amps.weebly.com/revell-132nd-scale-us-grumman-f4f-4-wildcat.html

Thanks Andy but having seen the Skyraider I’m as sure as I can be that it’s the one I had as a kid. Specially now I found one the same on eBay, brand new in box and parts still sealed in the placky bag!

• Like 1