Martian And The Canberras From Mars

Hmm I feel as if my bench times are stolen moments as apparently there is a plethora of gardening, diy and domestic stuff that needs to be done and is way more important :) ever so occasionally I get sent there to destress, but it’s a rare occurrence, ho hum.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 2

I once ate a complete stopwatch. Which meant there were no seconds. Ahem. 

Timeless, Pete, did you suffer from any unusual movements or motion? 

Mrs Martian tried that once with me and was delighted with the fact that I set to with gusto; right up to the point that she realised that I had painted the ball room Extra Dark Sea Grey and Sky! I never got asked again, can't think why? I also got asked to helped with the garden until I came in one day, very pleased with myself and said I had got rid of a load of weeds in the flower beds. Mrs Martian was pleased as well until she realised that I had hoed her recently planted stocks out of existence. You get the idea Melchie?

I do, I do, I won't be asking you to paint the guest suite or tend the Victory Garden during your stay, mind you, you seem to have got this one down-pat, old fruit, must give the wheeze a try out, it'll sound altogether more convincing if you're there to act as my wingman (tin hat and single malt supplied).

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, Martian said:

Thanks for looking and should anyone come across a somewhat dishevelled Terry, please return him to @Mike, c/o Britmodeller Headquarters.

Phew! That was scary. BTW Martian, there are all sorts of things up there in your loft you know...........

Gingerly gets coat and tip toes away from the debris.

Terry

• Haha 7

3 hours ago, Martian said:

she realised that I had painted the ball room Extra Dark Sea Grey and Sky!

Too true! The War Department wasn't at all pleased that I wanted to paint the walls of the hobby room 74/75/76 with 02 mottling- that and the local home improvement stores couldn't match the paint chips I showed them with latex semi-gloss! Philistines! :giggle:

Mike

Just to keep Julien off of my 'six- those seats are awesome, Martian! 👍

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, 72modeler said:

Too true! The War Department wasn't at all pleased that I wanted to paint the walls of the hobby room 74/75/76 with 02 mottling- that and the local home improvement stores couldn't match the paint chips I showed them with latex semi-gloss! Philistines! :giggle:

Mike

56 minutes ago, Marklo said:

I painted my room a nice battleship grey. Sort of rlm 76,  no tell a lie RFC battleship grey it is; very calming.

Well, I just let it here...:whistle::whistle:

TT SIG 1

Don't say no more... I know...

Back to the naughty corner,:rofl2:

CC

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

7 hours ago, Marklo said:

Hmm I feel as if my bench times are stolen moments as apparently there is a plethora of gardening, diy and domestic stuff that needs to be done and is way more important :) ever so occasionally I get sent there to destress, but it’s a rare occurrence, ho hum.

I think you need to appear distressed to Mrs Marklo more often.

7 hours ago, general melchett said:

Timeless, Pete, did you suffer from any unusual movements or motion? 

I do, I do, I won't be asking you to paint the guest suite or tend the Victory Garden during your stay, mind you, you seem to have got this one down-pat, old fruit, must give the wheeze a try out, it'll sound altogether more convincing if you're there to act as my wingman (tin hat and single malt supplied).

Don't be disgusting Darling!

The technique is called Applied Incompetence, IMHO a very necessary tool in any chaps armoury. 

7 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Phew! That was scary. BTW Martian, there are all sorts of things up there in your loft you know...........

Terry

Mostly what remains of my stash!

6 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Mike

Thanks Mike. That's also the first time I have heard of a Memsahib referred to as the War Department. I must remember that one. Why is Mrs Martian looking at me in a very hostile way?

5 hours ago, Marklo said:

I painted my room a nice battleship grey. Sort of rlm 76,  no tell a lie RFC battleship grey it is; very calming.

I have an even more cunning plan to get out of decorating. I just cover the walls with kits, paintings and books until they can no longer be seen. What's the point in painting something that nobody can see? Problem solved methinks.

4 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Well, I just let it here...:whistle::whistle:

TT SIG 1

Don't say no more... I know...

Back to the naughty corner,:rofl2:

CC

CC knows his place!

Martian 👽

• Haha 5

8 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

I once listened in a contest a wife complaining and saying...

Should he take care of me as he's taking care of his plastic bits...

Oo Matron!

Martian 👽

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, general melchett said:

What's all this nonsense about the weather, just grin and bear it man/martian, nothing like the murderous heat of the tropics...try taking yer table, swivel chair, optivisor, compressor and Humbrol enamels out to the jungles of Borneo (or the Lincolnshire Wolds, both as bad) mid-August to see what true modelling is all about.

Well, I am closer to Borneo than the Lincolnshire Wolds and I can say that modelling in the tropics has its challenges. Unless you turn on the aircon.

Martian, sir, your bang seats are a pleasure to observe as are your cockpit internals. Don't get me started on your bomb bays.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Martian said:

I think you need to appear distressed to Mrs Marklo more often.

No tried that, I get accused of whining. In my defence my mother was Jewish and I have many medical conditions that I can talk about.

• Haha 4

9 hours ago, DonH said:

Well, I am closer to Borneo than the Lincolnshire Wolds and I can say that modelling in the tropics has its challenges. Unless you turn on the aircon.

Martian, sir, your bang seats are a pleasure to observe as are your cockpit internals. Don't get me started on your bomb bays.

Thanks Don. However a Martian's bomb bays are his own private kingdom and I shall defend mine with CC's life.

4 hours ago, Marklo said:

No tried that, I get accused of whining. In my defence my mother was Jewish and I have many medical conditions that I can talk about.

Then I can only suggest the Applied Incompetence method as described to the member for the Imperial General Staff. You may be in the rattle for a bit but eventually Mrs Marklo will give up in exasperation and be only too pleased to get you out from under her feet. Don't let her see this post though or we will both be for it.

Martian 👽

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

17 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Terry

Be very wary of any Martian-looking bits still attached to the beams.....

Ian

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

16 minutes ago, Brandy said:

Be very wary of any Martian-looking bits still attached to the beams.....

Ian

Fortunately, all my bits were recovered during the resuce following my falling through the bedroom cieling.

Martian 👽

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Martian said:

You may be in the rattle for a bit but eventually Mrs Marklo will give up in exasperation and be only too pleased to get you out from under her feet.

Yes, but she’d probably employ more drastic measures than banishing me to the modelling room.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Martian said:

Don't let her see this post though or we will both be for it.

It will be our secret, only you, I and the entire English speaking world will know if it. ( been waiting years to use that one )

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, Marklo said:

Yes, but she’d probably employ more drastic measures than banishing me to the modelling room.

Sounds potentially painful! :yikes:

3 hours ago, Marklo said:

It will be our secret, only you, I and the entire English speaking world will know if it. ( been waiting years to use that one )

I'm hoping here that Mrs Marklo only speaks Gaelic? Otherwise. it might be a good idea to lock your computer away from her.

Martian 👽

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Martian said:

I'm hoping here that Mrs Marklo only speaks Gaelic? Otherwise. it might be a good idea to lock your computer away from her.

Martian 👽

Nope I’m afraid when the Normans took over they did far too good a job of rooting out the Irish language ( btw only foreigners call it Gaelic) and our attempts to revive the language are frankly pants. I spent 12 years in school being taught Irish and probably couldn’t string a coherent sentence together nowadays ( although there are those who would argue that my English isn’t much better) I speak better French than Irish and I only studied that for five years ( although I did have two French, french teachers)

I mean there are only a few thousand native Irish speakers left but there are three distinct dialects, I ask you.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Marklo said:

Nope I’m afraid when the Normans took over they did far too good a job of rooting out the Irish language ( btw only foreigners call it Gaelic) and our attempts to revive the language are frankly pants. I spent 12 years in school being taught Irish and probably couldn’t string a coherent sentence together nowadays ( although there are those who would argue that my English isn’t much better) I speak better French than Irish and I only studied that for five years ( although I did have two French, french teachers)

I mean there are only a few thousand native Irish speakers left but there are three distinct dialects, I ask you.

Amazing ! My Irish friends were talking Irish !!

Especialy when she did'nt wanted to be understood by their respectives husbands... :whistle:

Then, In the region of Galway, there was a lot of Irish speaking peoples....

If my memory did'nt fail too much...

CC

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

, In the region of Galway, there was a lot of Irish speaking peoples....

There are three Gaeltachts, regions where Irish is the first language; in counties Donegal, Galway and Kerry. School kids are punished by being sent there and are expelled if they speak any English at all ( although in fairness I did go to the one in Kerry as a teenager with my school and had great fun, although a lot of it involved drinking and getting harassed by weird locals at ceilies, think Father Ted) the Gaeltachts are also state and EU funded to promote the language.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Very belated birthday wishes to Mrs M. Where on Mars has the time gone? The office is just amazing and the seats are other worldly. Feeling like I need to have one in the stash. Muuuussstttt rrreeesssiiissttt. Simply excellent work Dear alien.

🤩

Johnny

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Dear Martian, nice work on your bang seats sir. I'm cheating on my T.4 build by using several of the Aeroclub seats with modifications for the front pair. Besides, their extra weight means less Liquid Gravity to insert into the front section!

With all that work, I would highly recommend (unless you already have one) the Hypersonic resin canopy. Received a pair from Japan yesterday and they are bloody gorgeous..now joining all the collection of correction parts in my two B(I) 8/12 kits, including the Phase Hangar tailplanes, Alley Cat engine nacelles and Reskit wheel sets..all these have cost more than the original kits (both purchased at discount prices) but going by the several build threads here on Britmodeller, well worth it.

Cheers,

Pete M. (who's ancestry includes Cornish on my mother's side, but no one ever spoke it here in New Zealand amongst the family to my knowledge. I took French for 4 years at high school and found out 30 years later during a trip to France that I can just carry out a conversation..I bet they had a gallic chuckle at my accent though)!

• Like 6

5 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Very belated birthday wishes to Mrs M. Where on Mars has the time gone? The office is just amazing and the seats are other worldly. Feeling like I need to have one in the stash. Muuuussstttt rrreeesssiiissttt. Simply excellent work Dear alien.

🤩

Johnny

Thanks Johnny, from both Mrs Martian and myself. The seats are of course other wordly on the grounds that they were made by an alien. You would make a fine job of a Canberra and for that reason alone you need one in your stash.

4 hours ago, Pete M. said:

Dear Martian, nice work on your bang seats sir. I'm cheating on my T.4 build by using several of the Aeroclub seats with modifications for the front pair. Besides, their extra weight means less Liquid Gravity to insert into the front section!

With all that work, I would highly recommend (unless you already have one) the Hypersonic resin canopy. Received a pair from Japan yesterday and they are bloody gorgeous..now joining all the collection of correction parts in my two B(I) 8/12 kits, including the Phase Hangar tailplanes, Alley Cat engine nacelles and Reskit wheel sets..all these have cost more than the original kits (both purchased at discount prices) but going by the several build threads here on Britmodeller, well worth it.

Cheers,

Pete M. (who's ancestry includes Cornish on my mother's side, but no one ever spoke it here in New Zealand amongst the family to my knowledge. I took French for 4 years at high school and found out 30 years later during a trip to France that I can just carry out a conversation..I bet they had a gallic chuckle at my accent though)!

Thanks Pete, I did toy with the idea of some drop in replacement seats but then resoned that why would I pay for something I am capable of doing myself, especially as I like building ejector seats.

I think I am going to stick with the kit canopy for this build as it is crystal clear and is good enough  for my purposes and I don't want this build to get too involved, I have to keep in mind that I am building these two kits for a bit of light relief. I may well try one of these canopies on the TT18 build as I wiil be trowing everything bar the kitchen sink at it. Like you, the assorted accessories I have already bought for this project, which will also form part of a long planned display of RAE Llanbedr aircraft, have long since exceeded the cost of the kit. Twas ever thus! Off to check those Hypersonic canopies.

Martian 👽

• Like 3