Martian And The Canberras From Mars

Right today I can bring you the pictures I wanted to bring you the other day. My goal this week has been to get both models to the same stage in their builds. I have never built two such very similar kits side by side before and I suspect that if I let one get too far ahead of the other, I run the risk of loosing interest in the other. Having got clear of getting the general arrangement of the cockpit and cabin on the B(I) 8/12, I have begun to enjoy the kit a lot more.

Last night and this morning, I had a big push, not the sort our beloved @general melchett is so fond of, I hasten to add, to get the cockpit and cabin structure finished. I accidenally ended up adding more structure than will be visible and I think it was at this stage that I took the decision to go down the digital photo frame route that I took with my Sikorsky Sh-34 so tat the detail that will be hidden then the models are complete can be visible when they are on display.

I have known for some days now that the cable/wiring guides in the bomb bay were lurking in the background, all fifty two parts of them and decided I could ignore them no longer. Out came the Albion Alloys Cutter and some slide fit tubing, on went the CD player in the Martian cave and a couple of hours later they were done. The cables/wiring isn't as straight as that on the T4 and I apologise for that. If it is cables we are looking at, it matters, if it is wiring less so. much of this will be hidden by the bombs and racks so it is not as critical on this model. Next up for the bomb bays is some punch and dye action to create the numerous inspection panels that are a feature of the bomb bay roof on the Canberra. I shall also have to start thinking as to how much of the plumbing and pumps for the fuel system I want to put into the builds.

I shall also start thinking about ejector seats. The T4 still presnts a bit of a conundrum in that different seats are specified in the AP for the instructor and pupil's seats but there seems to be any number of exceptions to the rule. I have seen pictures of all three ejection seats being the same, the seat layout as specified in the AP, mixed seatd for the instructor and pupil and one picture where poor old pupil does not have an ejector seat at all, whereas the instructor and navigator do! My thinking at the moment that I shal have a trwal through every T4 cockpit picture I can find and go with the layout that seems the most common as reality seems to be at odds with officialdom here (no change there I hear you cry!).

Anyhow, you probably think I have waffled on enough (quiet @Fishbed) and without further ado, lets move onto the pictures.

Thanks for looking.

Martian 👽

072.jpg

074.jpg

075.jpg

076.jpg

077.jpg

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Permission to not keep quiet Mr Mainwaring your Alienship?

Delightful cockpit and bomb bay pictures. I shall sleep soundly knowing that you're happy with your wiring.

I can see that the seat mixtures can cause confusion, and I wish you luck on solving the problem.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Permission to not keep quiet Mr Mainwaring your Alienship?

Delightful cockpit and bomb bay pictures. I shall sleep soundly knowing that you're happy with your wiring.

I can see that the seat mixtures can cause confusion, and I wish you luck on solving the problem.

Thanks Pete, since when did my permission have any effect on my threads whatsoever?

The doubts in my head about the ejector seats are frustrating as I really like detailing/scratch building them but I always like to have a clear idea of where I am going whith my builds. Once I have made a decision, I can model happily away at them until my potty needs changing. Still, there is plenty of other stuff I can be getting on with.

Harbour patrol tomorrow so I doubt if much modelling will get done.

Martian 👽

• Like 3

I think Offshore social distancing is possibly taking it a bit far.

NOT around here it's NOT!

Cockpit and bomb bays looking outstanding as we knew they would with your attention to detail Martian

Roger

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, Martian said:

Thanks Pete, since when did my permission have any effect on my threads whatsoever?

The doubts in my head about the ejector seats are frustrating as I really like detailing/scratch building them but I always like to have a clear idea of where I am going whith my builds. Once I have made a decision, I can model happily away at them until my potty needs changing. Still, there is plenty of other stuff I can be getting on with.

Harbour patrol tomorrow so I doubt if much modelling will get done.

Martian 👽

What era T.4 are you looking building? let me know and I'll sort out drawings and photos.

John

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, canberra kid said:

What era T.4 are you looking building? let me know and I'll sort out drawings and photos.

John

I'm not sure John but its the one in the limited edition boxing. Given the Light Aircraft Grey and Dayglo scheme, Iwould guess 1970/1980s? I added up the differnt seat layouts and ended up with athree way tie. Bugger!

24 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

Those cockpits and bomb bays look nice and busy👍🏻

Trevor

Cheers Trevor.

Martian 👽

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

I'm sure those left ashore don't think so!

Still, nice detailing on the Mumbais. (I do like to keep up with political correctedness, don't want to offend anyone!)

Ian

• Haha 4

12 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Evil child! Its been the day from hell on the water, which unfortunately for you, means that I am in an Evil mood. That sample dray had better arrive pronto! :chair:

11 hours ago, Hamden said:

NOT around here it's NOT!

Cockpit and bomb bays looking outstanding as we knew they would with your attention to detail Martian

Roger

Thanks Roger. Don't worry about @Pete in Lincs, I'm already on the case and being so flat, Lincolnshire is not the best of places to be hiding!

1 hour ago, Brandy said:

I'm sure those left ashore don't think so!

Still, nice detailing on the Mumbais. (I do like to keep up with political correctedness, don't want to offend anyone!)

Ian

You are more than welcome to come out on my vessel with Captain Keel Haul Them von Martian at any time.

As to political "correctness" , I am very sensitive to this as you might expect. As a result, I do try very hard to be offensive to everyone in equal measure so that nobody can claim they are being left out or disicriminated against.

Martian Harsh but Fair 👽

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

21 minutes ago, Martian said:

That sample dray had better arrive pronto!

On a Sunday? How gauche. 

22 minutes ago, Martian said:

being so flat, Lincolnshire is not the best of places to be hiding

Erm, I live just up the road from a Limestone cliff. As does the Cathedral. The flat bit is just propaganda to draw in the tourists.

Harsh but fair? Hmmmmm Well, good job we just restocked the first aid kit!

• Haha 5

1 minute ago, Pete in Lincs said:

On a Sunday? How gauche. 

Erm, I live just up the road from a Limestone cliff. As does the Cathedral. The flat bit is just propaganda to draw in the tourists.

Harsh but fair? Hmmmmm Well, good job we just restocked the first aid kit!

So we just look for you in the bit that isn't flat, own goal there methinks.

Martian 👽

• Haha 4

Here you go, 

FFtnMY.jpg

FFti5p.jpg

FFtUZ6.jpg

FFtCAb.jpg

And for the Navigator, the good old 2cs 

FFt6oX.jpg

FFtQzf.jpg

Both seat types have undergone mod's over time, but for the purposes of modeling it's not something worth considering.  The T.13 had a very shish version with armrests like the Mk.3's in the PR.9 early T.4's had no MB option thor the driver and his mate, just the Mk.2 for the Nav, I think this was a unique set up and something the V-Force Nav's must have looked upon with envy! The GAF Mk.21 was the same as the RAF's early T.4's. I hope this helps?  if you need any more info for your fabulous build just shout, I'm busy with some very time consuming non model related Canberra stuff, but I'm still around lurking in the shadows.

John

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

Is there any reference material that @canberra kid does not have in his library?

Cheers,

Bill

I believe that the short answer is no, don't be silly.

Martian 👽

• Haha 6

18 minutes ago, canberra kid said:

Here you go, 

FFtnMY.jpg

FFti5p.jpg

FFtUZ6.jpg

FFtCAb.jpg

And for the Navigator, the good old 2cs 

FFt6oX.jpg

FFtQzf.jpg

Both seat types have undergone mod's over time, but for the purposes of modeling it's not something worth considering.  The T.13 had a very shish version with armrests like the Mk.3's in the PR.9 early T.4's had no MB option thor the driver and his mate, just the Mk.2 for the Nav, I think this was a unique set up and something the V-Force Nav's must have looked upon with envy! The GAF Mk.21 was the same as the RAF's early T.4's. I hope this helps?  if you need any more info for your fabulous build just shout, I'm busy with some very time consuming non model related Canberra stuff, but I'm still around lurking in the shadows.

John

Thanks John, I shall be on the  case as soon as I have got over today's shenanigans on the water. 😫

Exhausted of Mars 👽

• Sad 1

20 minutes ago, canberra kid said:

FFtCAb.jpg

Is it me, or does he look slightly depressed - hands on knees, slightly hunched shoulders and head tilting slightly forward 

Trevor

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

9 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

Is it me, or does he look slightly depressed - hands on knees, slightly hunched shoulders and head tilting slightly forward 

Trevor

Trevor, he's probably had the trip from hell with the Sqn boss, squash up in the nose of the T.4 on a 4 hour flight doing tuch and goes in the dark.

John

• Haha 8

Or he's seen his bar bill from the mess. I delivered to Waddington Officers mess on Friday. 

Or he could have been on @general melchett's Purple Shredded Sporran again? Indeed, under that helmet and mask, it could be the General himself, mistaking the seat for his potty. :toilet:

Martian 👽

• Haha 5

41 minutes ago, woody37 said:

Loving the attention these Canberra are getting, so much better for the extra detail :)

Cheers Woody.

Martian 👽

it could be the General himself, mistaking the seat for his potty. 

I'm straining to see the comparison old fruit...he's probably thinking, where did it all go wrong? 'see the world, travel to exotic places, meet new, interesting people and bomb them'...no mention of being holed up, bent double in an over-heated coal bunker, flying long hours at night in marginal weather, sweating horribly and unable to get at that itch that's been driving you crazy ever since you took off...it's a great life, they said.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 6