Martian And The Canberras From Mars

Good news old fruit, good to catch up with you the other day. Sorry to hear about the Jerry tub receiving a sound thrashing from those Parcel Farce jonnies. If they were daft enough to write 'Fragile' or 'Handle with care' on the thing then you can bet it was used to explain Phil Bennett's conversion taking prowess in the 1974 Lions 'Battle of Boet Erasmus' test-match/bloodbath. Frightful stuff, but we know you will prevail.

Remote course, good grief, I have this vision of plonking yourself in front of your desktop for a wallet emptying chat with Gag Halfront....and ending up counselling him...

Stand by your phone a bit later in the week...you have been warned.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

Happy New Year Martian (and, of course, Mrs Martian!)

Looking forward to seeing the mojo and full throttle nonsense restored soon.

Best of luck!

Ian

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Martian said:

my real space models

Real Space.  What could be more appropriate for a Martian.

A better new year for you Sir.

Dennis

• Like 2

I Got the rudder pedal assemblies cut from the sprues of the two kits, I shall use the Airfix parts on the T4 and scratch a new one for the B(I) 8/12 as I need the T4 items to be identical. The bad news is that the Airfix parts are on the crude side and need some work to build them up to the standard of the rest of the T4 build. I was going to do some work on the cabin door but then found that I haven't got any details of the same. Clearly some further sleuthing is needed here.

I have however got a couple of pictures of the corrected fin though. Depending on how much tomorrow's course goes. I may allow myself a short session on those pedals tomorrow.

In other news, I have started a thread on my real space builds over on the space/sci-fi part of the forum, Here:

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235086212-one-giant-leap-for-mankind-just-a-pootle-round-the-garden-for-a-martian/

Martian 👽

135.jpg

136.jpg

• Like 12

• 2 weeks later...

I had the second session of therapy this week which has given me some ideas as to how I might help myself, so it will be interesting to see how that pans out. I still have good and bad days but am struggling by, thanks in no small part to @general melchett and @Terry1954 who have been giving me a lot of support.

On the modelling front, there has been a small but significant development. On removing the rudder pedals from their sprues, it transpired that the parts only vaguely resembled real life. No surprise there but this week I found myself actually wanting to do something about it and rolled up my sleeves and got stuck in. I had to scratch build a new escape tower for my Mercury Atlas last week but I did that because I had to rather than wanting to, the carpet monster's henchman, the gap in the floor boards beast, ate some critical parts. I still have a few bits to add and will get some pictures up soon as I have got them sorted. 

• Like 18

Just been catching up with this Martian and glad to see you back and managing to get some hobby time in. The tail mods are definitely worth the effort though and look so much better. It’s one of the few easy wins on this kit.

Fingers crossed that the therapy sessions give you some health gains too and life gets easier soon.

Pete

Edited by Peter W
  • Thanks 1

@Martian

So glad to hear from you! I would write a congratulatory note, but they don't let Naughty Corner residents have any sharp writing instruments! You will get through this! :giggle:

@corsaircorp

CC- Was there an airplane in the background of your posted photo? My retinas were scorched from looking at the birds cavorting in the foreground. :giggle:

Edited by 72modeler
added text
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Sellotape.

The gaps round the floor in my modelling space have been sellotaped over to give pause to carpets guy's big ally.

Might be worth a go.

Good to see you are on the way even if not yet fully mended.

Small acorns come from little steps...

Or summat like it.

Keep going mate.

• Like 2

Good to hear you’re making progress.

Hmm the carpet monster, yes, I’ve taken my first foray into my teeny tiny jets and I’m building an F117 ( and probably some others) for my the gulf war GB. This is the first ejector seat I made for the build which I dropped as soon as it was finished which amazingly resurfaced three days later; I suppose one less to make for the next few builds :)

64a8267c-3c73-43ed-bc99-04d24d732230.jpe

10 cent coin btw, not sure what the nearest GB coin is in size but it’s about 20mm in diameter.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 3

I recently discovered a very tiny piece of etched brass (a three rung section of 1/700 ladder) inside the open cockpit of my 1/72 Sedbergh which sits on the top shelf of the display shelves in my hobby room. I had lost it early last year when working on a small 1/700 ship.

My Carpet Monster is clearly very devious!

Terry

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Dave Swindell said:

Just generally lost it, the Sedburgh, or the ladder? :fool:

I'm not entirely sure that @Terry1954 ever had it to lose! As for the Sedburgh, I think even the greediest carpet monster would find it hard swallow one of them whole.

Pictures imminent. 

Martian 👽

• Haha 6

Of course the idea of a real carpet monster is totally silly.

My personal theory of a tiny dimensional singularity that favours small model parts, ballpoint pens and individual socks makes much more sense. ( can you tell I’m reading Stephen Hawking and Peter Hamilton at the moment, but not at the same time)

Edited by Marklo
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Marklo said:

Of course the idea of a real carpet monster is totally silly.

My personal theory of a tiny dimensional singularity that favours small model parts, ballpoint pens and individual socks makes much more sense. ( can you tell I’m reading Stephen Hawking and Peter Hamilton at the moment, but not at the same time)

I think here that Occam's Razor comes into play and that the simplest explanation of all these missing parts is that they have been eaten by a carpet monster. Anyway as I explained on my space programme thread, I caught the Gap in the Floorboards Beast in the act the other day. David Attenborough will probably hate me for this but these two are two species that really do need removing from the face of the universe (yes we get them on Mars as well)!

Off to upload and edit those pictures I promised.

Martian 👽 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Haven't you lot heard of Schrodingers Etch?

It's a bit like the cat but in reverse - reality ends when the etch is cut from the fret, from then on the part can exist in any state and any location, with the chances of it existing where it's supposed to be being inversely proportional to where you're looking for it, and increasingly less likely to be there the longer you look for it.

• Haha 9

Funny sort of synchronicity. The Peter F Hamilton book I’m reading is great north road (which I’m only half way through so no spoilers if anyone else has read it) in which the (so far) unconnected plot threads are linked by a series of bizarre murders which may ( or may not) have been perpetrated by an (as yet) unknown alien, hmm. 

• Haha 2

Right, those pictures. The rudder pedal assemblies are just tacked in place with a dab of Krystal Klear at the moment so they look a bit wonky. These were pigs to make as the entire assembly is about half the size of my little finger nail. I also added some cable guides to the starboard side of the rear cabin bulkhead. On the real aircraft the cables are held together with ties and seem to hold in place by their own weight. I got round this problem by carving an undercut into each guide, so they should look like ties when the model is completed.

Before I got sick, I had a detailed plan worked out in my head as to what needed to be constructed and fitted to the interior before painting and what needed to be built and set aside for afterwards. This plan has completely gone from my mind and I now have to sit down and figure it all out again. Perhaps I will write it down this time.

Before I close, thanks are due to Mrs Martian whose photography skills are way better than mine and were called upon when I made a complete hash (twice).

Thanks for looking

Martian 👽

137.jpg

138.jpg

139.jpg

140.jpg

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Marklo said:

Funny sort of synchronicity. The Peter F Hamilton book I’m reading is great north road (which I’m only half way through so no spoilers if anyone else has read it) in which the (so far) unconnected plot threads are linked by a series of bizarre murders which may ( or may not) have been perpetrated by an (as yet) unknown alien, hmm. 

I didn't do it, I wasn't there! I get blamed for every strange occurrence around here.

Repressed of Mars 👽

• Haha 2