Martian And The Canberras From Mars

On 7/10/2020 at 4:50 AM, Brandy said:

I would NEVER share a ballgown with the General...I've seen his battlepants!

Oh great- there's another image I won't be able to unsee now! 😳

Mike

• Haha 4

@Martian

Re the cockpit and the bomb bay....Dayam! That's some SERIOUS modeling! :giggle: If  only I  had your tentacles, I think I could do it! (Massive quantities of deicing fluid would perforce need be consumed first!)

Mike

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

Oh great- there's another image I won't be able to unsee now! 😳

Mike

All part of being a member of BM I fear.

14 minutes ago, perdu said:

I too have seen those nether garments, feel my pain.

:(

I don't need to feel your pain as well Bill. I was there; remember?

13 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

@Martian

Re the cockpit and the bomb bay....Dayam! That's some SERIOUS modeling! :giggle: If  only I  had your tentacles, I think I could do it! (Massive quantities of deicing fluid would perforce need be consumed first!)

Mike

Thanks Mike, the bomb bay was surprisingly easy. I will show some more as to how to do it as I progress with the second bay that I need.

5 minutes ago, Tornado 01 said:

You must have the patience of a Saint up there Martian...

The internal construction work looks excellent.

T1

Thanks Tornado and it is a very long time since the words Martian and saint appeared in the same sentence; if ever! Quiet in the cheap seats! 

Misunderstood of Mars👽 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

7 minutes ago, Martian said:

I don't need to feel your pain as well Bill. I was there; remember?

An unforgettable moment in the sad benighted memory of my dear planet Martian old friend, my message was of course intended for 'Lucky Mike' who was absent.

:)

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, perdu said:

An unforgettable moment in the sad benighted memory of my dear planet Martian old friend, my message was of course intended for 'Lucky Mike' who was absent.

:)

He will never know how lucky he was!

Martian 👽

• Haha 2

As promised, here is the first part of how I made the bomb bay without driving myself stark staring bonkers.

The first picture is of the jig I made to ensure that the frames of the bay all came out the same size and the same angle. When each frame has been cut to size, it is marked down the centre line and the frame replaced in the jig. The jig has been marked where I want the lightening holes to go on the frames. These marks are transferred to the frame and the frame drilled ot, first of all with a pilot hole and then with a drill of a wider diameter.

045.jpg

The roof of the bomb bay has had all the Airfix detail eased and is marked out where the frames need to fit. In this case, the frames are 1/2 inch apart. The frames can then be glued into place and the bay is ready for the next stage.

046.jpg

047.jpg

I shall post the next stage over the next day or two.

Thanks for looking.

Martian 👽

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

A very interesting & informative thread (in parts ;)  :P ) this has been for anyone with an interest in British Canberras & T.4s in particular. Seeing as New Zealand operated some of these, they're something I'm keen to do someday. Its no wonder the Martian Martin B-57s went to their tandem seating arrangement after the early ones.

Steve.

• Like 2

Welcome back Martian after your enenforced absence. While following your build (and Jamie's), I've revisited my stalled T.4 build and have figured a way to overcome my 'blockage' ..involves taking a cunning mould from my Aeroclub B(I)6 kit's upper nose sections and making a resin casting which I can then use to re-instate on the Classic Airframe kit's upper nose previously cut (and of course discarded!!!) to take the Alley Cat resin goldfish bowl. Using the resin cockpit top had made it impossible to mount the T.4's unique front seat mounting assembly as there was no coaming to mount the cross member to without much cursing, swearing and gnashing of teeth! :banghead:

This has also been prompted by receiving a couple of sets of the Phase Hanger tailfeather correction sets in the post today! Just over 1 week from the USA to NZ, pretty good in this current state of things or a very strong tailwind across the Pacific. :thumbsup:

I have also posted several photos taken of the tailfeathers and rudder assembly of the Canberra in the Canberra resource files (Page 3) that show some further fettling is still required to get this area to match the real thing. These were taken at the Midlands Air Musuem collection during my UK trip last year.

Cheers,

Pete M.

Edited by Pete M.
Spelling...
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, CJP said:

You & Massimo have a similar approach to modelling Martian - very nice detailing

CJP

Cheers CJ.

3 hours ago, stevehnz said:

A very interesting & informative thread (in parts ;)  :P ) this has been for anyone with an interest in British Canberras & T.4s in particular. Seeing as New Zealand operated some of these, they're something I'm keen to do someday. Its no wonder the Martian Martin B-57s went to their tandem seating arrangement after the early ones.

Steve.

Thanks Steve, I am glad we are informing you and hopefully entertaining as well. We certainly need as many laughs as we can get in these strange times. Who can fail to laugh when the Usual Suspects are around?

54 minutes ago, Pete M. said:

Welcome back Martian after your enenforced absence. While following your build (and Jamie's), I've revisited my stalled T.4 build and have figured a way to overcome my 'blockage' ..involves taking a cunning mould from my Aeroclub B(I)6 kit's upper nose sections and making a resin casting which I can then use to re-instate on the Classic Airframe kit's upper nose previously cut (and of course discarded!!!) to take the Alley Cat resin goldfish bowl. Using the resin cockpit top had made it impossible to mount the T.4's unique front seat mounting assembly as there was no coaming to mount the cross member to without much cursing, swearing and gnashing of teeth! :banghead:

This has also been prompted by receiving a couple of sets of the Phase Hanger tailfeather correction sets in the post today! Just over 1 week from the USA to NZ, pretty good in this current state of things or a very strong tailwind across the Pacific. :thumbsup:

I have also posted several photos taken of the tailfeathers and rudder assembly of the Canberra in the Canberra resource files (Page 3) that show some further fettling is still required to get this area to match the real thing. These were taken at the Midlands Air Musuem collection during my UK trip last year.

Cheers,

Pete M.

Thanks Pete, I am glad you have been inspired to re-start your project. It always nice to help you Earthlings. I shall be perusing your pictures to see what mods I want to make to my build.

Martian 👽

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Regarding the tailplane, there really is only one way to get it just like the original, and that is to make it like English Electric made it, it looks fiddly but actually didn't take that long (a day's work tops for an imbecile like me) and is quite rewarding at the end of it.

It replicates the Canberra tailplane being a single piece item which slots into an opening in the rear tail cone, and is poseable, along with the small section of tail cone that sits above it, the whole assembly was hinged for trim.

I've done a thorough guide here if it is of interest,

I really wish that someone could produce it in resin, it would makes things so much easier.

Excellent work on your Canberras Martian, the detail you're putting in is amazingly exquisite, and so precise.

Inspiring me to get on with my Aeroclub one, and I have a Classic Airframes TT.18 in the stash, these are the only 48th Canberra kits that I would consider building in all honesty and I admire any being that can knock the Airfix one into shape!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, 71chally said:

Regarding the tailplane, there really is only one way to get it just like the original, and that is to make it like English Electric made it, it looks fiddly but actually didn't take that long (a day's work tops for an imbecile like me) and is quite rewarding at the end of it.

It replicates the Canberra tailplane being a single piece item which slots into an opening in the rear tail cone, and is poseable, along with the small section of tail cone that sits above it, the whole assembly was hinged for trim.

I really wish that someone could produce it in resin, it would makes things so much easier.

Excellent work on your Canberras Martian, the detail you're putting in is amazingly exquisite, and so precise.

Inspiring me to get on with my Aeroclub one, and I have a Classic Airframes TT.18 in the stash, these are the only 48th Canberra kits that I would consider building in all honesty and I admire any being that can knock the Airfix one into shape!

Sooo, there's a TT18 produced at 48 scale...

Sound good, No more modifications for me ??? 

Knowing CA as I know it, I'm a bit sarcastic...

Did you start your James ?

Really great job Dear Alien..

So, I prefer the closed bomb bay, the shape of the bomber is more evident when bomb bay door are closed...:whistle:

:crap:

CC

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

I do think of you as a framer of aircraft par excellence Martian. Superb methodology on that bay.

At least, we both know "Who framed Roger Rabbit" now...:bye:

Okay, No need to say it... Easy...

I go back to the nasty corner....

Hey Mike @72modeler, C'mon have a blue Chimay...

CC

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, corsaircorp said:

I've not started the TT.18 yet, I have built a CA kit in the past and they really are the best Canberra kit in injected plastic, I have heard that they may have based it on Aeroclubs' kit so it will be pretty accurate, surface detail is nice and subtle, and the whole thing certainly looks right.  It is harder work to build though.  I wish Hannants would issue this kit in the same way they did with Gannet.

I will probably build a couple of TT.18 as they are very close to my heart, growing up with 7 sqn Canberras.

Won't be to Martians' standard though!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 71chally said:

Found your notes and had saved them during my original researching 71 Chally. I do agree regarding making that complete assembly in one piece, would save a lot of time!

Cheers,

Pete M.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, 71chally said:

I've not started the TT.18 yet, I have built a CA kit in the past and they really are the best Canberra kit in injected plastic, I have heard that they may have based it on Aeroclubs' kit so it will be pretty accurate, surface detail is nice and subtle, and the whole thing certainly looks right.  It is harder work to build though.  I wish Hannants would issue this kit in the same way they did with Gannet.

I will probably build a couple of TT.18 as they are very close to my heart, growing up with 7 sqn Canberras.

The CA kits do match very closely with the Aeroclub ones. Still have a couple of problems here and there (dive brakes on the wings that look like bricks!!!) and still not quite correct around the tailfeathers. They even got the fin and fillet correct, and the rudder does look like the real thing bar some rivet lines missing.

Cheers,

Pete M.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/14/2020 at 3:39 AM, corsaircorp said:

C'mon have a blue Chimay...

CC,

After freely admitting my ignorance as to your beverage of choice for the naughty corner and doing a little research, I believe the 300cl bottle might be the preferred loadout! You do have good taste, I'll give you that! See the linked photo to the preferred  deicing fluid of all of us native Texans...being true to our philosophy of 'everything's bigger in Texas,' it also comes in the handy 1 litre travel size in addition to the traditional longneck bottle! Yeehaw!

Mike

ls_wallpaper3_10241-1.jpg

Edited by 72modeler
corrected spelling
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

12 hours ago, 71chally said:

Thanks Chally, if this thread gets other people building models then so much the better. I'm not going mad on exterior changes as these are being built for a bit of light relief. The rudders are getting replaced and I will probably take that kink out of the tail plane leading edge (I like carving laminated plastic) and add a few extra panel lines. I just want a few models that look like Canberras. The reason I have done a lot on the interiors is that I like building airframe structures and in the case of the T4, it was Hobson's choice!

12 hours ago, TheBaron said:

I do think of you as a framer of aircraft par excellence Martian. Superb methodology on that bay.

Thanks your Baronesship,I just love doing airframe structures.

11 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Really great job Dear Alien..

So, I prefer the closed bomb bay, the shape of the bomber is more evident when bomb bay door are closed...:whistle:

:crap:

CC

There will be a TT18 get built here at some point as I have all the necessary bits on order and another Airfix Canberra landed at Martian Towers yesterday morning. Strangely, I like the "goldfish bowl" variants best. They also show one's efforts on the interior better.

10 hours ago, 71chally said:

I'm sure they will, especially as I am not going mad on shape corrections.

2 hours ago, 72modeler said:

CC,

After freely admitting my ignorance as to your beverage of choice for the naughty corner and doing a little research, I believe the 300cl bottle might be the preferred loadout! You do have good taste, I'll give you that! See the linked photo to the preferred he deicing fluid of all of us native Texans...being true to our philosophy of 'everything's bigger in Texas,' it also comes in the handy 1 liter travel size in addition to the traditional longneck bottle! Yeehaw!

Mike

ls_wallpaper3_10241-1.jpg

One litre size? That's just a taster where I come from!

Martian 👽

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

Today I bridged the gaps between the main frames with some more .30 x .80 'thou card and when this was thoroughly set, I capped off the tops of the frames with some .10 x .80 'thou plastic strip to give a T section to the frames. I used the Albion Alloys "Cutter" for this as, once set to the correct measurements, one does not have to worry about having to measure each individual part.

Next up I shall be adding the stringers and the "Cutter" will definitely be getting used for them. Do I want to measure and cut 110 individual parts; no way. I shall put the CD player on and lose myself in a relaxing couple of hours popping them into place.

So you can see that there is no fancy work involved, just breaking things down into simple steps, which is how I approach most of my modelling as I am probably the laziest ET on Britmodeller!

Thanks for looking.

Martian 👽

048.jpg

049.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Oh my Dear tentacled one !!

You really did a great job on the bomb bay...

I will close mine...

Since, I'll surely lack the patience !!

Hey Mike !!

One liter ? Blue Chimay exist in Magnum... No !! Not the .44 or .357 but see...

IMG_20200110_160901

Now the 500 has been fermented 3 times... Mmmmmh Tasty !!

Just tell me the Voltage of the "lone star" please...

When I came in UK for SMW, there is nothing under 8,5 volts...

Our Martian and the usual suspects can testify...

Great taste !! High Voltage !! 

It's a bit like the Marines motto... Mess with the best....

The one who keep the bottle is a colleague... And he also got a 500 Magnum...

It was a great evening !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 9

19 hours ago, Martian said:

One litre size? That's just a taster where I come from!

Understood- if it were brewed in Australia, it would most likely come in the easy-opening 55-gallon recyclable drum! (As Paul Hogan would have said, "Naow, that's not a  bee-ah, mate, this is a bee-ah!"

Mike

• Haha 5