Martian And The Canberras From Mars

Here we go then, my second attempt at the cabin layout, incorporating the information so kindly re-posted by @Pete M.. I have narrowed the pupil's side consul and added the raised floor for the navigator. I have also been wielding the grinder today and have thinned down the cabin walls. This will make building the airframe structure both easier and more realistic. The thickness of the kit plastic, if scaled up to full size would put many a battleship to shame. On Pete's model the raised floor is curved at it's rear end. This is a cover that protects the bar that the control columns operate. This is missing in my pictures as I intend to fabricate a separate part and incorporate it into the whole control column assembly.

Next I will be spending some time sanding the interior smooth. I then have to decide where exactly where to fit the beam that holds the ejection seats so that I can drill the necessary holes in the fuselage halves for it. I shall be making the beam from Albion Alloys slide fit aluminum tubing. This, although stronger than the kit plastic, is about the same hardness which makes sanding and blending it into the fuselage exterior a simple task. The cunning plan being that I can cut sections of the tubing and slide them over the bean before closing up the fuselage. They can then be adjusted to mate up with the ejector seat rails.

Thanks for looking.

Martian 👽

020.jpg

021.jpg

022.jpg

• Like 11

Not quite @corsaircorp but you’re getting there. If indeed you were running for the crown of CraZyNess you would have to have at least six Cranberries on the bench. 🤣🤪🥳

lovely internal scratchings my dear Alien. Why do we do it to ourselves eh. 😇🤣 I’ll just nip to the bar. Pint? 

Johnny.

• Haha 5

41 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

Not quite @corsaircorp but you’re getting there. If indeed you were running for the crown of CraZyNess you would have to have at least six Cranberries on the bench. 🤣🤪🥳

lovely internal scratchings my dear Alien. Why do we do it to ourselves eh. 😇🤣 I’ll just nip to the bar. Pint? 

Johnny.

At least !!

I can't believe my eyes when I see the words Martian and Innocence in the same sentence:rofl2:

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, The Spadgent said:

Johnny.

Thanks Johnny. An Alien's internal scratchings are his own private kingdom and I shall defend mine with @corsaircorp's life. Pint? Yes please, some of @general melchett's Old Shredded Jockstrap please.

23 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

At least !!

I can't believe my eyes when I see the words Martian and Innocence in the same sentence:rofl2:

Best get yourself to Specsavers then CC. 👓

Martian 👽

Edit: I just remembered i had a serious question to ask. The Instructor and Navigator on the T4 had the same ejector seats but the type of seat for the pupil seems to vary. Is this just the mod state of the individual aircraft or have I just got my tentacles round my neck again? I does occasionally happen.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

It has been far too hot here at Martian Towers to have a full on bench session today. Its hard to concentrate when you have sweat pouring down your face and although I'm not going overboard on these builds, I do want to make a decent job pf them. However, before the heat stopped play, I sanded down the cabin sides and scratched  a new instrument panel based on drawings from the AP on the aircraft and pictures I had found on the net.

I think I need to assemble at least the basics of the kit ejector seats next as I can then determine where they should go and to be able to calculate where to fit the beam that supports the rails for the seats. I have noticed that there is a small structural piece near the nose that has got glued in askew and this will be getting sorted PDQ. I know its there, so do you now come to think of it, as it will bug me and ruin my enjoyment of the kit until I do do something about it.

Thanks for looking.

Martian 👽

023.jpg

024.jpg

025.jpg

• Like 16

11 minutes ago, CJP said:

Nice scratch building in the cockpit Martian

CJP

Thanks CJ.

Martian 👽

Given that @canberra kid routinely sacrifices parts of his house to build Canberras out of, can we assume that Martian Mansions is in similar peril?

As to turning into @corsaircorp well, CC being short for 'carbon copy' is all we need to know!

Loving your work as always Daddy M. :clap2:

• Haha 4

12 hours ago, Martian said:

Edit: I just remembered i had a serious question to ask. The Instructor and Navigator on the T4 had the same ejector seats but the type of seat for the pupil seems to vary. Is this just the mod state of the individual aircraft or have I just got my tentacles round my neck again? I does occasionally happen.

Martian..according to the AP, the pupil's and instructor's seats were the same, MB Mk.3CT types. The navigators seat is listed as a Mk.2 CA2. Over the years, these probably changed somewhat, but I'd use a MB Mk.2 in the back and a pair of Mk.3's in the front. The minor differences in fittings would be negligible in 1:48 scale! I have a full set of Aeroclub white metal seats for my somewhat delayed build! They also help get some weight into the nose area.....😀

Cheers,

Pete M.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Pete M. said:

Martian..according to the AP, the pupil's and instructor's seats were the same, MB Mk.3CT types. The navigators seat is listed as a Mk.2 CA2. Over the years, these probably changed somewhat, but I'd use a MB Mk.2 in the back and a pair of Mk.3's in the front. The minor differences in fittings would be negligible in 1:48 scale! I have a full set of Aeroclub white metal seats for my somewhat delayed build! They also help get some weight into the nose area.....😀

Cheers,

Pete M.

Thanks Pete, Mk3 seats it shall be. Luckily, I quite enjoy scratch building ejector seats, although it might be possible to convert the kit seats. I shall have a look at my Martin Baker reference file.

Martian 👽

• Like 2

6 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Given that @canberra kid routinely sacrifices parts of his house to build Canberras out of, can we assume that Martian Mansions is in similar peril?

As to turning into @corsaircorp well, CC being short for 'carbon copy' is all we need to know!

Thanks Tony. No, there are a limited numbers of Canberras I want to build and a stack of other interesting projects to tackle as well.

If I do turn into a carbon copy of CC, I shall be blaming you lot for not having called the vet in ages before. The Naughty Corner isn't big enough for the both of us, and to misquote Sparks, "and it ain't CC who's going to leave".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ztSKDbDRXc

Martian 👽

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Late to the party, T.4 front seats Mk.3 CT, rear seat Mk.2 CA.  Yes the T.4 nose can swing for quick access or be totally removed on a special trolley..

As to Canberra's tail sitting, yes they will, if you defuel the front tanks first. I recall walking past A.S.F at Coningsby early one misty morning circa 1961 and seeing a B.6 sat on it's ....

John

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

On 6/25/2020 at 6:32 AM, Martian said:

Thanks Tony. No, there are a limited numbers of Canberras I want to build and a stack of other interesting projects to tackle as well.

If I do turn into a carbon copy of CC, I shall be blaming you lot for not having called the vet in ages before. The Naughty Corner isn't big enough for the both of us, and to misquote Sparks, "and it ain't CC who's going to leave".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ztSKDbDRXc

Martian 👽

Spot on Dear Alien !!

I really love this song... Just tell me that you did'nt ever tried to repeat that phrase as fast and sharp than this singer ....:rofl2::rofl2:

I still try each time I listen to it !!!

@TheBaron one point !!

CC

On 6/24/2020 at 11:44 PM, TheBaron said:

Carbon copy ?? I think that I still have a complete pack in the attic !!

But our Dear Alien have a far more modern Morphing Machine...

I have one too, named Chimakarmelitwestmaaletremens....

Another tongue twister for you !! :poke:

Huh !! When will you start this one ??

72048648_2700546653289912_4626618485844213760_n

sincerely...

Duplicated CC

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Public announcement....

Latest on Martian contact..

Martian contacted me across the sub ether today to announce that, for a wee while anyway, he won't be able to update his build threads due to a complete and gratuitous total existence failure of his one and only Dell PC. Apparently they have to order the parts from somewhere here on planet Wibble and transport them to Mars, along with a goodly supply of toilet rolls, Snickers bars and a copy or two of King & Country (as backup). Elon Musk has offered the use of his shiny flying grain silo, better known as 'Starship', so everything should be back up and running in an Earth week or two. He apologises for any inconvenience caused at this time, any complaints should to be forwarded to your local Martian Postal Service offices where they will be promptly vaporised...

End of transmission... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Sad 4

1 hour ago, general melchett said:

he won't be able to update his build threads due to a complete and gratuitous total existence failure of his one and only Dell PC.

One shudders to think what he was doing to it.

• Haha 6

Anyone remember the long, eerie waiting while the Lunar Orbiter transited behind the Moon?! Total coms blackout until they re-emerged from the other side. 😳

It's a bit like that right now........ 🌌👀

• Haha 5
  • Sad 2

On 6/25/2020 at 11:17 AM, John Aero said:

Late to the party, T.4 front seats Mk.3 CT, rear seat Mk.2 CA.  Yes the T.4 nose can swing for quick access or be totally removed on a special trolley..

As to Canberra's tail sitting, yes they will, if you defuel the front tanks first. I recall walking past A.S.F at Coningsby early one misty morning circa 1961 and seeing a B.6 sat on it's ....

John

A bit like the 747 in a photo which appeared on Flight International's Straight & Level page, with a caption inviting the reader to understand that the captain had left his wallet in the aft toilet.  My wallet wouldn't have that effect, no matter what the moment arm.

Edited by JosephLalor
  • Haha 5

31 minutes ago, rob Lyttle said:

Anyone remember the long, eerie waiting while the Lunar Orbiter transited behind the Moon?! Total coms blackout until they re-emerged from the other side. 😳

It's a bit like that right now........ 🌌👀

I really did worry in case they didn't make the journey home but felt there wouldn't be a worry getting all the way round old luna.

• Like 5

Oh my God...

Allo Operator...

Play it as a background music while our favourite alien is fixing his CC.. Oooops his PC...

Patiently we'll wait...

Is that fixed now ??

Patient CC:dog:

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

4 hours ago, general melchett said:

Public announcement....

Latest on Martian contact..

Martian contacted me across the sub ether today to announce that, for a wee while anyway, he won't be able to update his build threads due to a complete and gratuitous total existence failure of his one and only Dell PC. Apparently they have to order the parts from somewhere here on planet Wibble and transport them to Mars, along with a goodly supply of toilet rolls, Snickers bars and a copy or two of King & Country (as backup). Elon Musk has offered the use of his shiny flying grain silo, better known as 'Starship', so everything should be back up and running in an Earth week or two. He apologises for any inconvenience caused at this time, any complaints should to be forwarded to your local Martian Postal Service offices where they will be promptly vaporised...

End of transmission... 

Thanks Dear General !!

You're a good friend !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Thanks 1

You're a good friend !!

Thanks CC, Martian's a good egg, we often chat about all manner of things, Life, the Universe and Everything, (Everything being mostly unrepeatable, of course).... Actually, we recently discussed him coming up here to stay over at Melchett Towers (House of Healing or Lamentation, take your pick) when things have calmed down a bit, for a spot of R&R and some much needed insanity. Of course, it goes without saying that we'll take Sarah Jane out for a damn good thrashing, around the leafy lanes of Lincs and Notts (the counties, not adult role-play items).........she'll thoroughly enjoy herself :wicked:

One shudders to think what he was doing to it.

We won't go into that here, suffice to say that Martian law is very different from our own and considerably more 'accommodating,' if you get my drift.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3