Martian And The Canberras From Mars

1 hour ago, Martian said:

Confused, I'm an ageing Punk Rocker.

I’m with you on both counts. I ascribe more to the Bauhaus cover than the Bowie original.

Nice to see @Martian is worsting plastic already. 

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Martian said:

If my replies seen increasingly disjointed today, I plead the effects of an increasingly liquid lunch.

As an alien life form you should of course be aware of Douglas Adams who sagely opined “Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so”.

Have another Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster for me 👍🏻

Trevor of Earth

• Haha 6

4 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

As an alien life form you should of course be aware of Douglas Adams who sagely opined “Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so”.

Have another Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster for me 👍🏻

Trevor of Earth

Sorry, all out of Pan Galactic Gargleblasters and all other booze come to think of it. A ten hour lunch break, is that some sort of record? :drunk:

Squiffy of Mars 👽

• Haha 5

Goooooaaaaal

I get to one of my fav LHS and a fishbowl Canberra is waiting for me...

If the Major Tom is a junkie, I'm a styrene junkie !

Meanwhile I bring back my 6th Hurricane, Safely smuggled home Pfiuuu !!

Now, a Third Canberra and the alley cat conversion and on I'm...

Expecting that you started your best pathfinder job....

Nice rhinoplasty indeed...

I think that the FAA scheme is a Hum Hum TT sig one....

Hoooops did I say it again ??

Well done Dear ETI, I'm more pleased to follow you on Cranberries adventure than on the Triebflugel...

I really did'nt have any soft point for Luftwaffle '46.... So sorry...:P

What is worrying me is that I cannot show the sticker I receive years ago from a Canberra crew....:evil_laugh:

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 3

10 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Goooooaaaaal

I get to one of my fav LHS and a fishbowl Canberra is waiting for me...

If the Major Tom is a junkie, I'm a styrene junkie !

Meanwhile I bring back my 6th Hurricane, Safely smuggled home Pfiuuu !!

Now, a Third Canberra and the alley cat conversion and on I'm...

Expecting that you started your best pathfinder job....

Nice rhinoplasty indeed...

I think that the FAA scheme is a Hum Hum TT sig one....

Hoooops did I say it again ??

Well done Dear ETI, I'm more pleased to follow you on Cranberries adventure than on the Triebflugel...

I really did'nt have any soft point for Luftwaffle '46.... So sorry...:P

What is worrying me is that I cannot show the sticker I receive years ago from a Canberra crew....:evil_laugh:

Sincerely.

CC

Nice try CC, I was almost suckered into the Target Towing SIG thing last night, right up to the point that I realised that it was the booze talking. Back to the Naughty Corner for you!

The Triebflugel is still on, some figures for the diorama arrived yesterday and I am just waiting on some instructions for a fuel cart I bought for it to arrive, they were missing from the kit and I can start working out where everything needs to go on the diorama.

Watch out for some more news on the rhinoplasty later today.

Martian the surprisingly not hungover 👽

• Like 3

Right, that nose job. Over the course of yesterday, I became increasingly unhappy about the shape of the nose cone, especially when the nose was closed up. I struggled to put my tentacle on exactly was wrong until I removed the nose cone and looked at it's cross section at it's aft end. It didn't match the kit fuselage where the cut had been made. No wonder I was struggling to get things to line up properly!

Pondering on what to do about it, it struck me that maybe the best thing to do would to be to use the parts from the kit that I had removed from the fuselage halves and to cut off the nose of the part that @canberra kid sent me and to graft this onto the kit parts. I cut the nose of the B57 part allowing plenty of leeway and, using the vacform board, very carefully sanded it back until it was an exact match for the kit nose section. Not only am I much happier with the shape of the nose now and it will of course, make things a lot easier when it comes to lining up decals that cross over the nose to fuselage divide.

I have also marked out where the escape hatch is but will refrain from cutting this until I have checked the fit and position of the cabin rear bulkhead and made sur that it matches the position of the panel line marking the same on the exterior of the fuselage,

Thanks for looking.

Martian 👽

010.jpg

011.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

• Like 12

That first nose job, looked very nice but it was niggling me that it didn't actually look like a Canberra.

Now what did the Beatles (an old time pop group from the time the music came alive) say?

ah yes

I've got to admit it's getting better, it's getting better all the time

(further input from the counter lyrics are involuntary for older people like me so...)

It couldn't get much worse... 

The newer version has the look.

I will pop back to the bar, I have a trying day ahead it being the first Father's Day since 2003 that I have not spent in a noisy camp site along a all day long race in France.

Alain get the beers in mate!

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

A precision nose job on the nose job? Crikey!

While not a rivet counter, it was bugging me and if something is bugging you, do something about it.

1 hour ago, perdu said:

That first nose job, looked very nice but it was niggling me that it didn't actually look like a Canberra.

Now what did the Beatles (an old time pop group from the time the music came alive) say?

ah yes

I've got to admit it's getting better, it's getting better all the time

(further input from the counter lyrics are involuntary for older people like me so...)

It couldn't get much worse... 

The newer version has the look.

I will pop back to the bar, I have a trying day ahead it being the first Father's Day since 2003 that I have not spent in a noisy camp site along a all day long race in France.

Alain get the beers in mate!

Thanks Bill. I decided that if I wasn't happy about the shape, I would never be content with the finished model and It could eventually kill my motivation to complete the build. Now I'm happy and looking forward to the next session. I do have to prepare another installment for the vacform tutorial first though.

35 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Nice start Martian and nose jobs.   If you're turning into CC, you will have to reside in or send yourself to another corner.

Keep up the good work

All the best

Chris

Cheers Chris. You have to be naughty to get sent to the naughty corner and as we all know, I' am probably the most innocent and saintly BM member you could hope to have. 😇  I was of course referring to becoming a serial thread starter, which it looks like I could be in danger of.

Saint Martian of Mars 👽

• Haha 4

55 minutes ago, Martian said:

While not a rivet counter, it was bugging me and if something is bugging you, do something about it.

Thanks Bill. I decided that if I wasn't happy about the shape, I would never be content with the finished model and It could eventually kill my motivation to complete the build. Now I'm happy and looking forward to the next session. I do have to prepare another installment for the vacform tutorial first though.

Cheers Chris. You have to be naughty to get sent to the naughty corner and as we all know, I' am probably the most innocent and saintly BM member you could hope to have. 😇  I was of course referring to becoming a serial thread starter, which it looks like I could be in danger of.

Saint Martian of Mars 👽

Morning Martian,      You’ll have to choose your words carefully when it comes to rivet counting, I made the simplest of mistakes by asking for a set of Canberra drawings with rivet lines on. Just look at Peter W’s thread on his B(1)8 and you’ll soon see........LOL.

• Like 1

I don't know if it's the picture but that last Canberra T.4 nose just looks odd to me, is that the one supplied in the kit?  The one you originally used (from John?) looks better curves wise, though I get the struggle with the size.

If you look at a decent nose profile photo of the real thing you can see how it gently follows the shape of the forward fuselage curves.  The kit one doesn't seem to have the captured the upper curve which comes down more to meet the subtle underside upward curve.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/michaelhibbins/42234229464/in/photolist-27m6t15-inMkYb-axBesC-whg53J-vBZS1t-2i41DGN-axrJ2P-fR1XqW-axBfsb-2bzPeeJ-2b7YRkS-LPMSZU-2dgcJ7C-M4t7xR-gFXLiD-2hY3hdf-2dgcHLs-2ehF3QQ-68Zmti-UsQHX5-bJQ7Tk-pSHmZe-RFRjAk-2gpiGir-6YD8Vo-qXGuFS-gFXKHF-ytY9cL-QuNRxC-ikLYMU-6YDFed-6YCQko-24v6ckr-kLMAwU-Y6Uns9-kLMAvm-6YCXry-gRm1Jq-XspW7v-21CtnAX-gRkMLx-gUjnkx-6YDDd5-gRmgo6-6YDtBE-6YDG89-MeuoEE-fDPUaG-6YDEb1-6YzjSr

It is hard work getting anything right with the Airfx Canberras, the curves of the real thing in particular can be very hard to capture, even the Alleycat T.4 nose cone doesn't look just so to my eyes.

Also, did you say you are folding the nose cone open?  The T.4 nose doesn't hinge/fold open, it is removable by a series of quick release fasteners around the circumference of the nose, you can make them out in the above picture.

Nice to see all this hard work going into beating another Airfix aberration into shape, can't beat a good Canberra!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, 71chally said:

I don't know if it's the picture but that last Canberra T.4 nose just looks odd to me, is that the one supplied in the kit?  The one you originally used (from John?) looks better curves wise, though I get the struggle with the size.

If you look at a decent nose profile photo of the real thing you can see how it gently follows the shape of the forward fuselage curves.  The kit one doesn't seem to have the captured the upper curve which comes down more to meet the subtle underside upward curve.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/michaelhibbins/42234229464/in/photolist-27m6t15-inMkYb-axBesC-whg53J-vBZS1t-2i41DGN-axrJ2P-fR1XqW-axBfsb-2bzPeeJ-2b7YRkS-LPMSZU-2dgcJ7C-M4t7xR-gFXLiD-2hY3hdf-2dgcHLs-2ehF3QQ-68Zmti-UsQHX5-bJQ7Tk-pSHmZe-RFRjAk-2gpiGir-6YD8Vo-qXGuFS-gFXKHF-ytY9cL-QuNRxC-ikLYMU-6YDFed-6YCQko-24v6ckr-kLMAwU-Y6Uns9-kLMAvm-6YCXry-gRm1Jq-XspW7v-21CtnAX-gRkMLx-gUjnkx-6YDDd5-gRmgo6-6YDtBE-6YDG89-MeuoEE-fDPUaG-6YDEb1-6YzjSr

It is hard work getting anything right with the Airfx Canberras, the curves of the real thing in particular can be very hard to capture, even the Alleycat T.4 nose cone doesn't look just so to my eyes.

Also, did you say you are folding the nose cone open?  The T.4 nose doesn't hinge/fold open, it is removable by a series of quick release fasteners around the circumference of the nose, you can make them out in the above picture.

Nice to see all this hard work going into beating another Airfix aberration into shape, can't beat a good Canberra!

It does look a bit odd from some angles but I have determined that it is the masking tape necessary to hold the thing together for the pictures. It looks better when held together but then I wouldn't be able to take the pictures.

As to the nose opening, I am confused:

4ac9ebce226540f9c3f5e5fa0ff0b443.jpg

image4604.jpg

The drawing clearly shows a couple of stays for holding the nose open? and it seems to be attached in the picture and this is the effect I am trying to create.

Muddled of Mars 👽

Edit: To answer your question, I finally went with the cut away part of the kit nose with about the first 1cm of the B57 nose cone that @canberra kid gave me. The rear of the B57 nose cone was simply the wrong shape in cross section to match the kit without lashings of filler which would make things difficult from the point of view of having the nose opened up. The reason I want to do this is to be able to see right down as far as the cabin rear bulkhead. This coupled with the escape hatch removed, should allow all of the detail that will be going into this part of the aircraft to be seen. As to the shape of the model. I can live with most of the inaccuracies of the kits as I am building this purely as a bit of fun and they look like Canberras to me.

• Like 5

Ooops my gaff, I worked on a T.4 project a few years back and it didn't feature that hingery, must have been removed, apologies and please disregard my pointless twaddle.  The old adage, preserved aircraft, and all that stuff!

I did wonder if it was the tape, but some of the lines just looked off, is that the kit nose with a new tip?  I know how you Martians are for accuracy!  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, 71chally said:

Ooops my gaff, I worked on a T.4 project a few years back and it didn't feature that hingery, must have been removed, apologies and please disregard my pointless twaddle.  The old adage, preserved aircraft, and all that stuff!

I did wonder if it was the tape, but some of the lines just looked off, is that the kit nose with a new tip?  I know how you Martians are for accuracy!  

That's OK Chally, although I will admit I did have a slight buttock clenching moment as I reached for my Canberra file.

Yes it's the kit nose with the tip of the B57 nose cone grafted on where the kit nose transparency would have fitted.

Relieved of Mars 👽

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Martian said:

That's OK Chally, although I will admit I did have a slight buttock clenching moment...

Relieved of Mars 👽

Apologies, hopefully all eight of them are functioning correctly again!

Must be having a bad day here on Earth, even the basic info I have say state that the nose is hinged!

Edited by 71chally
  • Haha 5

I bet that sub-title made @Navy Bird's lug holes stick up! Today I cut the main cabin parts from their sprues, only to find that Airfix have made a complete banjax of the levels of the cabin floor levels. After much cogitating and scratching of the Martian head to see how I might the correct the kit parts, it became clear that the path of least resistance was to get the plastic sheet out and start again from scratch. The fact that the rear bulkhead is moulded as part of the cabin floor which is too high in the navigator's position, means that a new rear bulkhead is needed. This at least allows me to sort out where the escape hatch ends and this session at the bench on this model has involved constructing and fitting the new bulkhead and opening up where the escape hatch is fitted. The rough looking bits you can see is where Mr Dissolved Gloop has been applied to fill ejector pin marks and places where the model got the odd ding when the Dremel was being wielded. These will get sanded smooth at the start of the next session. Once I have got the main floor fitted, things should speed up on the cabin. At this point, I left off with this build to prepare the next installment of the vacform tutorial.

Thanks for looking.

Martian 👽

002.jpg

012.jpg

013.jpg

• Like 9

Hello Martian, I always found, that  this a very strange and odd looking plane since my youth in the Airfix and Matchbox catalogues of the 70'/80'. Neither a kit that interested me, nor that I recognised it on the old Revell box scale items in my old catalogues as a Canberra (B-57) then. Anyway, I want to see, how that old Airfix one looks in the end in the "true scale".  And for that maybe a little push up:

019aff471880dbac90c217343ff6b1de.jpg

Cheers

• Like 5

6 hours ago, bbudde said:

Hello Martian, I always found, that  this a very strange and odd looking plane since my youth in the Airfix and Matchbox catalogues of the 70'/80'. Neither a kit that interested me, nor that I recognised it on the old Revell box scale items in my old catalogues as a Canberra (B-57) then. Anyway, I want to see, how that old Airfix one looks in the end in the "true scale".  And for that maybe a little push up:

019aff471880dbac90c217343ff6b1de.jpg

Cheers

I have two of these in the stash and also have an Aeroclub correction set so one may well get built. It rather depends on how fed up I am with Canberras after sorting out these two..

Martian 👽

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I have been a busy alien over the last day. I began by using the B(I) 8 cabin floor to make a replacement for the T4 kit, which set me thinking about how I did not like the way Airfix have approached the way the B(I) 8 interior is put together. That's for another post however when I am clear in my head as to how I am going to do the job.

014.jpg

019.jpg

I then began marking out the pilot's floor and built it up with plastic strip of a suitable size. The floor itself was cut to an approximate size and shape and the trimmed to fit when it had been glued in place.

016.jpg

017.jpg

018.jpg

Thanks for looking

Martian 👽

• Like 8

Hi Martian. I've been following this thread as I started a T.4 conversion many moons ago (oh dear..2011) using the Classic airframes 1:48 B.2/B.20 kit with the Alley Cat conversion..a fatal 'flaw' as I got most of the internals built then realised there is no way to build the T.4 seat frame assembly correctly using the Alley Cat resin cockpit canopy assembly!

Unfortunately you have built the floor wrong. It is flat across from the entry door to the starboard side, with a raised section at the front where the control columns fit. The nav's section is raised!

Below are a couple of my early construction photos showing how I did the floor..firstly, the real thing (via John Adams):

nDqkq88.jpg

And my efforts:

eIlBL7z.jpg

iUEpAn8.jpg

AsAjMCs.jpg

As for references, I presume you have the T.4 AP's? I had posted a selection of photos of the Doncaster T.4 cockpit nose in the reference section here, but looking at it now, Photofk*it has 'eaten most of them. I'll make a new post there this evening that should help with your build.

Cheers,

Pete M.

Edited by Pete M.
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Pete M. said:

I've re-loaded all my T.4 cockpit photos into the Resources 'Canberra' folder (page 3) and added a few more. Hope they help and don't hinder????

Cheers,

Pete M. :drink:

Thanks Pete, I have spent most of this afternoon gutting the cabin and starting again. Some of the pictures I had not seen before and are very helpful. I think I have the basic layout now. I am not sure of the length of the Navigator's floor. It may be a bit long but I can work round that. I don't want to do it again, that's for sure! The picture of the support beam for the ejector seats is really helpful. I am using the kit glazing which will allow me to model this feature. I think the kit side consul is a bit wide so I think I will take it out and scratch a new one. Hope fully we should have some pictures later this evening. Now I need a drink as well :drink:

Martian 👽

• Like 5

Martian. I had the same problem regarding the nav's floor length..at least if it's slightly too long then it is hidden under the trainee's seat assembly!

I modified the CA kit's console as it was also too wide.

After having a fresh look at my build, I've decided to go back to the beginning with the upper section of the fuselage and use an Aeroclub 'goldfish bowl'. Of course all the original decking I cut off was consigned to the bin at the time, but I am going to use a casting taken from the Aeroclub front fuselage section. I can then rebuild that 'swing seat' section, finish all the internals there then 'plonk' the canopy on last. Well, that's my cunning plan....🙃

Cheers,

Pete M.

• Like 3