Martian And The Canberras From Mars

OK, we have the Martian starting another thread and you may well be forgiven for thinking that I am slowly turning into @corsaircorp but there is a kind of logic to all this. I blame it all on the lockdown and the weird times we are all going through. I shall explain:

During the current lockdown I have trying use my time creatively by catching up with researching some of the kits that I have in the stash but not done much research into. Already having a couple of Airfix 1/48 Canberras in stock, (a B2 and PR9) I began by mugging up on the Canberra. This rapidly led to me having an urge to build a B(I) 8/12. Naturally, I didn't have one of those in stock so one had to be sourced. It was while researching the B(I) 8/12, it came under our Galactic notice that Airfix did a limited edition version of their B(I) 6 kit with decals for a T4, resplendent in dayglo markings. I was totally suckered in by this and an example of this kit somehow found it's way into my ready use stash. I also seem to have picked up a 1/72 Airfix B6 kit and an Aeroclub nose correction set and a FROG PR7. I may or may not build the Airfix !/72 kit as part of this thread. It will most likely depend on how the two 1/48 kits go. The PR7, I will most likely keep her in my antiques collection of now but who knows in the future?

I will be doing the B(I) 8/12 kit as a South African Air Force machine in either overall PRU Blue, I have seen a great looking build on a South African Modelling site with an overall blue machine with SAAF markings in all six traditional positions, or a sliver and blue cab. To this end, I have secured some Model Alliance decals, an etched set and a replacement for that awful Airfix offering.

003.jpg

The T4 will either be in the scheme offered in the Airfix kit or in Royal Navy colours. The decals for this kit look a million dollars but feel on the thick side so as a precaution, I have purchased some Model Alliance dayglo stripes in case the kit decals do not want to snuggle down properly. I could not get any Canberra seat belts at a sensible price, so I got some Hunter belts that I can adapt for the build. Once again, that awful Airfix rudder will be heading for the spares box.

I might as well get the rant over and done with now. :rant: Airfix give the modeller the decals for a T4 but utterly fail to address the differences between this mark and other variants of the type. No dual controls, no way of mounting the instructors bang seat, no extended pilot's floor and no new nose cone, instead merely telling the modeller to paint the clear part of the bomber version light grey. I am experienced enough to be able to fix these things but there will be plenty of modellers out there who either are not or just don't want to go to the trouble. Poor show Airfix!

The T4 will be getting built with it's nose cone folded back so that we will be able to see the scratch building that will be going into sorting out the interior. I thought about how I was going to show the extra work in the navigator's position and hit on the idea that the escape hatch on the real aircraft must be removeable to allow the ejector seat to be removed/replaced. So that will be getting opened up. I am going to have a bash at doing a better bomb bay on this kit and if this is successful, I will do the same to the B(I) 8/12 model. I will know quite quickly whether this is a goer or not and if my cunning plan works, have worked out a way of making a jig so that I can turn out the multiple frames of the structure that will be required with minimal hassle.

005.jpg

006.jpg

Anyhoo, before we begin, I must pay special tribute to all the Britmodellers who helped with my request for information on the two kits and with what must have seemed interminable and pretty simple questions from me. A special thank you to @canberra kid who sent me a spare nose cone for the T4. Having said all this; if it does turn out that I am really morphing into CC, please feel free to call the nearest space vet. That rather cute Venus from Fireball XL5 would do nicely.

This project will probably wander on for some time as it will have to fit around a lot of other commitments, both modelling and family. I am not sure how much in the way of corrections to the kits I will do as I just want to have a bit of fun with these and try out a few ideas. Who knows, they may turn out well or, more likely, trip over one or more of my tentacles and fall flat on my face. What's the betting that @Mike is working on and emoticon of a betentacled alien crashing and burning as we speak?

Thanks for looking.

Martian 👽

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Well, best wishes with these boxes of delight, Martian 👍

Should keep you busy for a while. 

Those rudders are really something aren't they?! But they do sand down to something like it..... eventually. 

You'll be aware of the tail-sitting tendencies, and it's worse than you're thinking. 

No B57 then? 

But Day-Glo stripes...... Woohoo 😎‼️

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, rob Lyttle said:

Well, best wishes with these boxes of delight, Martian 👍

Should keep you busy for a while. 

Those rudders are really something aren't they?! But they do sand down to something like it..... eventually. 

You'll be aware of the tail-sitting tendencies, and it's worse than you're thinking. 

No B57 then? 

But Day-Glo stripes...... Woohoo 😎‼️

Thanks Rob. I am quite resigned to the fact that a tail prop may be needed but then again, its not uncommon to see a real Canberra with one. I am not going to trust to the rather flimsy looking kit item, brass rod will becoming into play here. With the T4 and it's open nose cone, I may not even try with nose weight, it may be futile.  No, no B57, for some reason, I'm not sure why,  they leave me completely cold. Anyway, if I factor in the other two 1/48 kits I have of the type, there is enough work there to keep me occupied for a very long time indeed, plus I will need a couple more B2 kits down the line as I want a B2 bomber, a Llanbedr target tug and a U19 or D14 target drone.

Martian 👽

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Martian said:

I have seen a great looking build on a South African Modelling site with an overall blue machine with SAAF markings in all six traditional positions,

Um, excuse me matron, but can you explain the traditional positions to which you allude?

Confused of Earth 🤔

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Looking forward to the dayglo build. I'm all for throwing round lots of colour, but I have a question, with a couple of these in the stash I'd like to know how bad is the kit's rudder. Does replacing it make that much of a difference?

• Like 1

Looking forward to seeing these develop Martian. Obviously the kits are well documented as having shortcomings but I'm really enjoying my build. They are after all Airfix and good old fashioned modelling skills are a pre-requisite.

Pete 

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, mackem01 said:

Looking forward to the dayglo build. I'm all for throwing round lots of colour, but I have a question, with a couple of these in the stash I'd like to know how bad is the kit's rudder. Does replacing it make that much of a difference?

The shape is fine, it's just the detailing, they went a wee bit mad with the trenching machine! Just slap some filler on it and you'll be grand.

John

John

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Martian said:

This project will probably wander on for some time

That’s what I’m expecting of the thread.

I do have some tins of dayglo enamel ( compucolour I think) that may still be liquid and which if I’m honest I will never use. If you’re interested pm me and I can post them over ( you are based on Terra?)

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, perdu said:

I will be quiet

I will be quiet

Looks like all work and no play is making Bill ....  Watch out for the patterns on the carpet!

Looking forward to a bit of Canberra madness! I have the 1/72 B(i)6 in the stash because I like the dome cockpit - I am aware that Airfix Canberras all have "issues" to varying degrees...

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Oh Dear tentacled one !!

I will obviously stay here, at the bar, looking over your shoulder....

I'm in and morphing into a CC is something pretty funny, believe me !!

I must resist the envy of starting a Canberra thread !!

Thanks to @rob Lyttle I have a B-57 and a Royal Navy Cranberry look like something irresistible...

Sitting at the bar, surely not completely quiet but I'll try to behave :evil_laugh:

Sincerely.

CC

• Haha 5

14 hours ago, Martian said:

What's the betting that @Mike is working on and emoticon of a betentacled alien crashing and burning as we speak?

Not a very safe bet, sadly :fraidnot: Begone with ya! :tease:

• Haha 5

7 hours ago, mackem01 said:

It looks a lot of work to correct it so I'm dropping in Master Casters replacements.

7 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

May I suggest you build these in earth orbit?

In space no one can hear you Canberras' don't tail sit

Helpful as always Pete!.

7 hours ago, Peter W said:

Looking forward to seeing these develop Martian. Obviously the kits are well documented as having shortcomings but I'm really enjoying my build. They are after all Airfix and good old fashioned modelling skills are a pre-requisite.

Pete 

There will be plenty of the old fashioned in this thread, In fact I'm so old fashioned that some people describe me as prehistoric!

6 hours ago, Hamden said:

Another Martian epic may I take a seat and look and learn from the Master

Stay safe           Roger

You can try and learn from me Roger but the Master is banned.

6 hours ago, Marklo said:

That’s what I’m expecting of the thread.

I do have some tins of dayglo enamel ( compucolour I think) that may still be liquid and which if I’m honest I will never use. If you’re interested pm me and I can post them over ( you are based on Terra?)

Thanks Mark I do have a second home on Earth and I will bear your king offer in mind should I run into problems.

5 hours ago, perdu said:

I will be quiet

I will be quiet

I will be quiet

I will be quiet

I think we are wandering into the realms of fantasy here Jones!

3 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Sitting at the bar, surely not completely quiet but I'll try to behave :evil_laugh:

Hope springs eternal!

9 hours ago, DonH said:

Um, excuse me matron, but can you explain the traditional positions to which you allude?

Confused of Earth 🤔

So we got to post four before the mayhem started!

Martian 👽

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, perdu said:

I will be quiet

I will be quiet

I will be quiet

I will be quiet

I will be here

Having first gone with the Ziggy Stardust allusion, I’m now humming the chorus to ‘up on the catwalk’ with these words. I 

Somewhat similar to the when I used to work as a product engineer and somebody worked out that changing the lyrics of the Devo song ‘whip it’ to ‘ship it’ totally worked :) 

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

13 hours ago, Martian said:

No, no B57, for some reason, I'm not sure why,  they leave me completely cold.

Maybe it is the lack of "goldfish-bowl" space-helmet canopy?  Or that they were built by Martian... I mean Martin.  Inter-tribal jealousies and all that. 

My only complaint (aka back-handed compliment) is that you're likely to make me go look at that Classic Airframes one that is already on the "hmm, let's have another look at this kit" not-hidden-away pile.  Luckily there's a cat on my lap, but considering the amount of coffee I've had this morning, he may not be able to stay there long enough for me to recover from the above-mentioned urge before I become mobile.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

OK, away from the mayhem for a second, a start has been made. I decided to begin with the model that is going toned the most work, the T4. I  began by cutting the kit nose at the panel line in front of the cockpit so that we can either have the nose folded or should thing go pear shaped, we may need that emoticon @Mike, we can glue it onto the kit fuselage.

The B57 nose cone does not quite match up to the kit fuselage, so I added laminations of plastic card to both the nose part and the kit fuselage until they were a close match. They are close enough now for an open nose cone scenario but just to be sure, I will tack the nose cone to the fuselage and sand and fill to a perfect match. Next up I need to figure out the dimensions of the navigator's escape hatch so I can open that up.

Martian 👽

001.jpg

007.jpg

004.jpg

• Like 13

1 hour ago, gingerbob said:

Maybe it is the lack of "goldfish-bowl" space-helmet canopy?  Or that they were built by Martian... I mean Martin.  Inter-tribal jealousies and all that. 

My only complaint (aka back-handed compliment) is that you're likely to make me go look at that Classic Airframes one that is already on the "hmm, let's have another look at this kit" not-hidden-away pile.  Luckily there's a cat on my lap, but considering the amount of coffee I've had this morning, he may not be able to stay there long enough for me to recover from the above-mentioned urge before I become mobile.

Were it Classic Airframes Canberras we were talking about, we would be in the same place I suspect. Go on get the kit out and do some plastic worrying.

1 hour ago, gingerbob said:

Me too, but Ziggy was jiving them that they were Voodoos, not Canberras.

:coat:

Confused, I'm an ageing Punk Rocker.

44 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Straight in with the Rhinoplasty, Crikey! 🦏

Get the ugly stuff over while the motivation is there says I.

Martian 👽

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, SAT69 said:

It's so much fun watching Britmodelers play and build models at the same time!

And that dear heart is the whole point of Britmodeller and we look out for each other as well. 

Martian 👽

Edit: If my replies seen increasingly disjointed today, I plead the effects of an increasingly liquid lunch.

• Like 6