Vallejo Liquid Mask

Dunderklumpen

Hello, fellow modellers!

When using VLM, I “pour” it on the edge of, say, a rim for a roadwheel. When trying to dispense it around the wheel with a brush, the brush clogs almost instantly. It’s also really hard to clean the brush with water.

What should I be using instead of water for cleaning? And how do I prevent the brush from clogging up?

TIA

Henrik

IIRC ammonia should work well for both diluting and cleaning the brushes.

There's a problem however: ammonia can also attack acrylic paints, so if you're using the masking fluid over such paints you have a problem

Personally I've given up on Vallejo's masking fluid, it gave me more trouble than else. Actually I've given up on all masking fluids of any brand ! I never managed to use more than half a bottle before the content solidified, I rarely managed to get good edges and they were more often than not a pain to remove. I'd rather cut my own tape masks with something than goung through the hassle of masking fluids....

• Like 1

Thank you for your reply, Giorgio. Ammonia won’t work then since I’m using acrylic paints. Shame...

I thought liquid mask was such a great idea, but if  I have to use a “new” brush every time it’s gonna become annoying after a while. I tried a toothpick, but that didn’t work either. I’m gonna give it a few more tries, then I think I’ll resort to cutting masks from Tamiya tape or similar myself.

I use micro applicators for these kinds of jobs- use and toss in the bin.  If you're not familiar with them, think of a miniature cotton bud that has hundreds of uses for modellers.  I like the original Microbrush® brand and my LHS has them in small packets and sometimes in 100 packs.  You can also buy them on Amazon or e-bay, but there are also knock-off brands that are almost as good for much less; Search under under beauty and make-up supplies.  I buy them in bulk, usually under $10.00 USD for 500 in assorted tip sizes from 1.5 to 2.5 mm. 

Lou in California  

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Stef N. said:

Use cheap ole toothpicks. You can be reasonably precise with them and peel off any old gunk as you go.

I tried toothpicks, but I found them to "drag" the liquid mask along in spiderweb-like strings. Didn't work at all for me.

What I eventually tried - and found working ok - was old spruegates. A rod of plastic seemed to work ok. But I will definitely try the tip from @louiex2 regarding micro applicators.

• Like 2

@Back in the Saddle  @Henrik Esping

(Here's a long answer to your short question...)

I use all the sizes so I would suggest getting an assortment pack to start and see which ones you like or use the most.  The two sizes I use most frequently are 1 mm  and  2.5 mm and I buy those in single size bulk when I start running low.  For fine detail work the 1.5 mm is great but it doesn't hold a lot of paint or liquid which in most cases is a good thing.   The 2.5 is my workhorse and for applying the liquid mask, I would recommend that size.   All the sizes very good for quick touch up painting, applying glue, and wicking up excess CA.  They were originally developed for dental use and there are other styles available.  One nice thing is you can bend the handle neck just below the brush to reach into hard to get places. 

At less than 2¢ a piece, you can either bin them or cut off the head and use them as paint stir sticks.  The four modelling tools I use the most are: micro applicators, tweezers, sanding and scalpels.  (Thank you to all the BM folks who put me on to Swann-Morton scalpels- I still occasionally use my X-Acto knife, but the SM scalpels are now my go-to cutting tool.)  Also, Microbrush® makes an Ultrabrush® which is just a miniature paint brush- they are very nice but a bit pricey (± 25¢ each) and I've never found a generic version.   I usually find them in my LHS in a pack of 25 but I don't know if they are available in the UK- I don't seen them listed at Hannants or Wonderland.  

Lou in California

Edited by louiex2
Correct grammar
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

20 hours ago, Back in the Saddle said:

Thanks @louiex2, very comprehensive answer!

Indeed! Thank you, @louiex2! Off to Amazon 🙂

I masked the tires for the Kubelwagen the other day with VML, and it actually worked rather well. The product itself is great, it's just the application that's tricky. I applied it straight from the bottle, and then I "whirled" it around the rim with a short piece of sprue. With microapplicator this should probably be even easier. I am however pleased with the result.

VLM applied after painting the rim in body color

spacer.png

Peeled of nicely!

spacer.png

• Like 3

@Henrik Esping  Very nice work.  The micro applicator will make it even easier. 

Your post reminded me of another use for the spent applicators.  I clip off the used tip then cut a chisel or pencil point with a scalpel in that end.  You can it to scrape off paint from narrow areas like panel lines or tyre rims.  It is soft enough to not damage the plastic but gets the job done.

Lou in California

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

As a product its not a game changer, It has its uses however. I originally bought it for canopys but its not as advertised on the can for that purpose. I have found other uses for it like chipping or paint weathering the base coat, on wheel rims, hmmm come to think of it that's it. Its just another tool in your cabinet. LIke many tools purchased or even made from scratch invention is what makes a tool truly useful. For me the best aplicator for liquid mask is something with a pointy end so toothpics or spues melted and streched to create a pointy end work really well. Then comes the application that's another learning execise to use the combination of capillary action with surface tension to cover only that part you want to mask. That's my 2 cent worth.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I had the same problem when first using liquid mask.. I bought some silicone brushes the type I believe they use in nail art.. a pack of 5 different sizes for a couple of £.. They work great and once the mask is dry it just peels of the brush..... 

Edited by Foxy1972
  • Like 1