BAe Hawk 1 TWU & 2 TWU stores

iainpeden

Having found a part used Xtradecal 48047 sheet at the bottom of the spares box I managed to "win" a couple of 1/48 Airfix Hawks (Reds boxing) on THAT site.

One will be done as a 1 TWU a/c in overall grey, the other  2 TWU in grey/green. (final units to be decided)

Both will be fitted with the gun pod. The 1 TWU a/c with Sidewinders on the inner pylons and no outer pylons fitted; the 2 TWU with tanks on the inner pylon and outer pylons fitted.

Does that sound about right?

Yes, only one set of pylons on the RAF Hawk T.1s and no tanks.

For a grey/green aircraft IMHO the best looking realistic load would be an asymmetric with a Matra rocket pod on the starboard pylon and a CBLS on the port one. Rocket pods were however witdrawn from use at some point in the mid-late '80s. Problem is that the CBLS must be sourced somewhere (I'm sure there's resin aftermarket for this but not sure who make them in 1/48 scale).

Thanks for the replies. But ......

In Paul Jackson's "Britain's Armed Forces Today:1. RAF STRIKE COMMAND"  (Ian Allan 1984) there is a picture of a Hawk T.1(a?) in overall grey/green  with tanks on the inner pylons and 'winders on the  white (or light grey) outer pylons. The photo is credited to BAe; the a/c has, in white, the code 120 on the fin and what looks to be a squadron crest just below the port side windscreen.

Could be a publicity photo.

9 minutes ago, iainpeden said:

It was. Just like the pictures of four bombs on four pylons on ZA101 / G-HAWK.

Cheers,

Andre

Edited by Hook

17 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

For a grey/green aircraft IMHO the best looking realistic load would be an asymmetric with a Matra rocket pod on the starboard pylon and a CBLS on the port one. Rocket pods were however witdrawn from use at some point in the mid-late '80s. Problem is that the CBLS must be sourced somewhere (I'm sure there's resin aftermarket for this but not sure who make them in 1/48 scale).

David J Parkins' Flightpath range is probably a good starting point for the CBLS 100 and Matra Rocket Pod.

You may also find that the Hawks often flew with acquisition rounds rather than Sidewinder missiles.

4 hours ago, iainpeden said:

Certainly is. Hawk XX205 was used by BAe for a short period and the aircraft appeared at the 1978 Farnborough Airshow with tanks and sidewinders.

Air-Britain image of XX205 1978.

Although not representative of an in-service airframe, you could still build it as it did sport that stores load out no matter how briefly. The Squadron badge under the cockpit is the TWU badge.

Mark.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Harry Lime said:

Certainly is. Hawk XX205 was used by BAe for a short period and the aircraft appeared at the 1978 Farnborough Airshow with tanks and sidewinders.

Air-Britain image of XX205 1978.

Although not representative of an in-service airframe, you could still build it as it did sport that stores load out no matter how briefly. The Squadron badge under the cockpit is the TWU badge.

Mark.

And the TWU badge is on the decal sheet - sorted !

• Like 1

3 hours ago, XV107 said:

Is the CBLS-200 in the Hasegawa Japanese weapons set a possibility? My knowledge of the CBLS series isn't as good as it might be, so I don't know if the JASDF CBLS is a possible substitute or wildly inappropriate.

https://www.super-hobby.com/products/J.A.S.D.F.-Weapons-Set-A.html

CBLS 200 was for the Tornado only in the RAF. Everything else used the CBLS 100.

On 6/18/2020 at 10:11 PM, Giorgio N said:

The asymmetric load was dropped when it was found the rocket pod caused wing fatigue cracking. The small T-shape bare area you see on the top side of Hawk wings above the pylon was to check for cracks on this area of wing around the pylon mount.

A pair of CBLS 100 became the common fit. 

If your stuck for CBLS pods drop me a PM, I may be able help..

Acquisition rounds are easy, just chop the fins of a sidewinder.