Entex 16th Rolls Royce Phantom: Goldfinger conversion???

lowelker

Hello one and all.

I have an Entex 1/16 Rolls Royce Phantom model kit. As far as I can detect, the kit has only the hard top. I would like to convert the kit to Goldfinger's sedan.

Has anyone done this conversion? Are there any after market parts available?

Looking at the sealed box, there is no indication that the kit has any altering parts.

Thanks ahead for any help and any WIP pics posted.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, lowelker said:

Hello one and all.

I have an Entex 1/16 Rolls Royce Phantom model kit. As far as I can detect, the kit has only the hard top. I would like to convert the kit to Goldfinger's sedan.

Has anyone done this conversion? Are there any after market parts available?

I do not know of any. But would make an interesting scratch building project to convert into the Barker-bodied sedanca. There is much visual reference on the web about the movie car.

The kit was a touch pricey and more importantly to me, still sealed. I don't want to break the seal and realise for some unknown reason the parts can't be altered with my novice modeling skills. I would imagine it is just a cut and putty fill and sand some detail areas. At this point I'm assuming the only difference is the missing top over Oddjob as chauffeur. I'm scared to make assumptions without seeing the kit parts and comparing with screen shots.

Please please anyone out there that have tried this share your work.

I really want to make this kit. Only Bond fans would understand if they saw the finished kit on my shelf.

• Like 1

I love all the James Bond films (and novels), especially the 1960s ones and Goldfinger most of all.  I can't help with the kit-bash, unfortunately, but I'd love to see it done.

Have you got a photo of the kit?  Even the box art would help determine what might be necessary.

About five years ago I saw the real car (I assume it was) at the Bond in Motion exhibition in Covent Garden.  It was hard to get a decent photo because while, "She's a beauty..." she's a big lady and there wasn't room to get back far enough to get her all in the frame.  I don't remember the film car having whitewalls (and I don't think they suit the colour scheme) but I would hope the tyres had been changed a few times  since 1964.

y4mFcARZjJFqt1-GkdqDWZ_IEH6GSeeHBQJ65Uvq

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/06/2020 at 19:17, johnlambert said:

at the Bond in Motion exhibition in Covent Garden

That was a great exhibition, is it still there? I’d just bought my BMW Z8 kit & it was the only time I’ve ever the real car. It does make me wonder if there’s a Aston V8 kit at all. 

The Rolls looks like the roof has been cut off before the drivers area, if you have a PE saw & cut it cleanly, you could always glue the roof back on, if it doesn’t work

59 minutes ago, Mr Mansfield said:

The Rolls looks like the roof has been cut off before the drivers area, if you have a PE saw & cut it cleanly, you could always glue the roof back on, if it doesn’t work

Yes as a Sedanca there isn't a roof above the chauffeur so poor old Oddjob got wet whenever it rained (not that it ever did in the film).

Looking at pictures of the kit compared with the Goldfinger Phantom, it looks like most of the bodywork aft of the front doors will need remodelling as the sedanca has rear-hinged rear doors and the passenger compartment extends further back over the rear wheels with a sort of "duck tail" upsweep at the back.  It also looks like the sedanca has a higher roof line and taller windscreen.  The chrome strip on the front wings of the kit car will need removing too.

So it's a fair bit of work but it would look spectacular when it's completed.

• Like 1