Tertius primus erit

As I finish off the Meteor I'm going to be researching ready for the next kit, this lovely Revell Canberra in 1/72, before I do another Meteor. The big 3 sqn tail markings look great. 

Has anyone built this kit, any issues I need to consider?

spacer.png

• Like 3

Nice external shape, no internal detail (not that you could see a lot) ,  I couldn't get the undercarriage to sit upright and you'll certainly want to replace the method of keeping the wheels on!    Good for its time if too bit basic even then.  No doubt Canberrakid will be along with more details and ideas for improvement.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Shalako said:

Old Frog or, old Matchbox???

Matchbox did the PR.9.

From memory (and assuming the shape is ok) the following would need attention (I built this on first release so memory may be fallible):

* wheels and wheelbay need attention. The wheels are a bit crude and the wheel wells are yawning gaps 

* no cockpit detail at all

* thick transparencies 

* engine intake is rather crude and is basically an intake blank with a bullet fairing

* IIRC blunt wing leading and trailing  edges

* faint raised panel lines

* NOVO releases had water allergic transfers!

Trevor

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Sounds like what I thought would be a straightforward build between administering filler on Meteors is going to be a bit more involved than I expected! 

I shall carry on regardless and see how it shapes up. Another opportunity to practice scratch building. Not sure what I can do about the blunt wings though, sounds like a lot of filing needed. 

The decals actually look nice, hopefully they take ok.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Lord Riot said:

The decals actually look nice, hopefully they take ok.

They’re not bad, but IIRC Revell didn’t include 3Squadron’s yellow and green fin band which is a bit of a bind.

I’d strongly recommend that, if you can, you get hold of a set of the Aviation News drawings which are probably the best available.  I seem to recall that the fuselage length is a bit off and that some of the detail is a bit soft but it can be made to look very much like a Canberra. 

1 hour ago, Max Headroom said:

* NOVO releases had water allergic transfers!

I built several NOVO Canberras back in 1990s when I was a kid... The decals were bad.

Also, the canopy offset from the centreline was something unusual for me at that time! 🙃 It’s a very nostalgic kit.