At last a hill climber!

As a long-term speed hill climb fan, you might imagine that I might have a few kits in my stash, but try to think of anyone who makes a pure hill climb car in kit form? (cue tumbleweed). In fact the only way I could think of doing one was to step down from thoughts of dedicated hill climb cars and look for a more 'mainstream' car that also hill climbed. And here it is: SMTS 1/43 ERA Voiturette, converted to represent ERA B-Type 'R4B' as it appeared at a number of Shelsley Walsh events in 1935, driven by Raymond Mays. I did some minor bits of conversion (changing the steering box to the LH side, twin wheels at the back) and also opened out the carb intake to take some mesh, replaced the kit decal bonnet straps with tape and PE, chopped off the mirror fairing and hollowed it to take a mirror, and added steering arms and a tube exhaust. But the SMTS kit is a real gem and can be thoroughly recommended. an ERA has long been on my Top 10 list of cars I'd love to own, so ticks a number of boxes. It did carry race numbers of course, but since they were mounted on card and attached by string, I left them off for aesthetic reasons.

My kit was actually the version to make Prince Bira's Romulus or Remus, but since it came with six wheels, it made my version a lot easier to do. I assume that SMTS did issue a hill climb version of the kit.

R4B was later converted to C-Type (as 'R4C') with the fitting of independent front suspension and ultimately it became the sole D-Type and has a continuous race/hill climb history (bar world wars and global pandemics) so that it is nowadays probably the most raced car in the world.

Anyway here it is:

001 (1)

The kit:

y (4)

And the model:

001 (2)

001 (3)

001 (4)

001 (5)

001 (6)

001 (7)

001 (8)

001 (9)

001 (10)

So the next hill climber will be (don't hold your breath for an RFI) a Gould GR.37, 51 or 55! Any ideas where to start with that?

Edited by Sabrejet
  • Like 26

Very nice indeed, really like the paintjob, shine looks just right, and I love that colour! (can I ask what paint it is?)

I've got a few hillclimb cars 'in progress', but from the current era where there's basically a class for any car...!! (my avatar is myself in our Modprod class Mini 1275 proceeding (slowly!)  up the Epynt hillclimb a few years back - love hillclimbing!)

Lovely job - cracking little ERA!

Keith

2 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Very nice indeed, really like the paintjob, shine looks just right, and I love that colour! (can I ask what paint it is?)

I've got a few hillclimb cars 'in progress', but from the current era where there's basically a class for any car...!! (my avatar is myself in our Modprod class Mini 1275 proceeding (slowly!)  up the Epynt hillclimb a few years back - love hillclimbing!)

Lovely job - cracking little ERA!

Keith

Paint is a 25% green/75% white mix of Mr Color Green 6 and White 1, matched til it looked about right from memory (ERA R1A is painted this colour nowadays).

Would love to do any of the Gould or Pilbeam single-seaters or a Pilbeam MP43, but I'd be surprised if anyone made kits of those. I did toy with scratch-building Graeme Wight Jr/Sr's GR51, using the Tamiya Opel Calibra DTM engine as the starting point but just too much of a stretch. I think the best hope would be for someone to do a 1/24 F3 Reynard or RALT and start from there.

And I've got drenched at Epynt a few times!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sabrejet said:

Paint is a 25% green/75% white mix of Mr Color Green 6 and White 1

Thanks for that!

1 hour ago, Sabrejet said:

And I've got drenched at Epynt a few times!

You and me both!

Keith

Definitely, I saw one at Shelsey Walsh in 1993! 

• Like 1

To quote a line from The Italian Job - "Preeety car".

Like that a lot and the colour suits it (although it shouldn't, far too Seventies).

I remember painting the hall of our first house in a very similar colour, you learn by your mistakes!

Dave

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Coors54 said:

To quote a line from The Italian Job - "Preeety car".

Like that a lot and the colour suits it (although it shouldn't, far too Seventies).

I remember painting the hall of our first house in a very similar colour, you learn by your mistakes!

Dave

It's black nowadays but as far as I can find, it never hill climbed in black with the beam front axle. I have the book of the car (R4D by Porter Press) and it is pretty in-depth apart from technical detail and colours worn. We still need a definitive ERA book!

Edited by Sabrejet
  • Like 2

That's beautifully done,and a very smart colour for an ERA.  I read the other day that SMTS are moving to bigger premises,which is always a good sign as I know they moved to a smaller place last time! Chris

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kitkent said:

That's beautifully done,and a very smart colour for an ERA.  I read the other day that SMTS are moving to bigger premises,which is always a good sign as I know they moved to a smaller place last time! Chris

Well I just ordered their Aston AMR-1 (lovely kit), so hopefully I've helped their profits a bit!

That's a lovely little model, it's always nice to see well built 1/43 kits. Nice to see a dedicated hill climb racer as well, there are too few of those. A very well done conversion indeed. It even inspired me to restart a sleeping hill climb project, although not as dedicated as this one.

• Like 1