FV-603B Saracen

Hi everybody,

hope that everyone is fine and safe. While I'm slowly slowly crawling towards the finishing line with my current project (Zvezda Tiger M w/Arbalet) I will start this little thingie, just to stay in the flow.

It's one of the newer kits of Ace and I really look forward to building it, I really like the Ace kits.

Before I begin let's have a look what's inside the box:

y4mMN8wnK5w4OwhXQey8LsnFH5xyyshB3fVoizZF

y4mM7y4RUpXX9hvzj6kEGEe4-wB7DQDrACCsTnPl

Typical for Ace kits are the very small and delicate detail parts - this is going to be fun!

y4mBGBSk0F2813B_4gr91hEHYSAx1cHHKM7C_NE0

y4mj0zCAVL8c9DhF656ub2SPdI5aQapAYu8HjTQN

y4mOfMpZ-379_y49sOl4hljSnKsn3tMllDWMN-RI

Most likely I will build the Northern Ireland version. Hope to show you some progress soon!

Have a nice day

Nick

• Like 8

@Courageous Hi Stuart, nice to have you along.

I can show a bit of progress already. Cut off and cleaned the first five parts of the main hull. More flash than expected, but no problem.

y4mYuaX9y2MW-OJqgfJvLuFInta5gNOj43IFuUQv

...and glued them together, fit is okay, not quite as good as their Tiger, but maybe my fault, sometimes it's hard to tell which is flash and which is the part..

y4mRt890YISxU68R3y1ZYXCmtViCKsAXFkQav64g

y4mnur_C6Wa24bueHz2eZ2Qe1hl-fjC7giVy8dPY

y4mk-ExKUCss4azyk8mzUWZ0orH81mFxwhjj7Uny

That's it for now, thanks for looking!

Have a nice day

Nick

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

@Jasper dog @Courageous Hi Darryl and Stuart, thank you very much for your kind words. Yes it's tiny, I couldn't do it without magnifiers, but it's fun and a good training for my hamfisted fingers! Re the rear doors - unfortunately all the hatches are moulded closed and it would take quite a surgery to open them without destroying them... There is no interior provided. I'm not good at scratch building at all so I leave everything as is.

Have a nice day

Nick

• Like 1

Hi Stuart, thank you, I think that I understood you correctly, I just tried to explain why I won't open the doors. Usually I build oob, when there is no possibility to open up doors or hatches it's okay with me. 🍻 Building an interior from scratch is far beyond my skills. :rofl:

Have a nice day

Nick

• Like 1

Hi everybody,

in between my many commitments this weekend I found some time to get on with this little vehicle.

Six lifting eyes and the first parts of the suspension were attached to each side.

y4m14318BcZdC1RUBvNo561hqwBkA3ByztYRIPNh

y4mdGD6KwXxUR48ozX9ezqn5vIoVoiigyX40xmT1

Went on as per instructions with the wheel shocks and a kind of torsion bar.

y4m4VCp7PSx_P_yO5dxNydmAmKbG3SEniCMlajmB

I have to say that it seems like the moulding forms are already worn out and seem to be out of alignment, each of the parts is somehow misaligned in itself by about half a millimeter, which is a lot for such tiny parts. Therefore much time was spent cleaning up the parts.

The attachment of the above shown parts was a bit difficult, first you had to stick the shocks through the openings on the torsion bar and then you have to attach all the parts together to the hull sides,

y4mvqBbkcQ1rZFHlG5xpOYe761XeIv67VHnYWtJW

After a lot of swearing an fettling it was done. The fit is less than perfect, but I think most of these parts will be hidden.

y4m1vl7GbjGOwg6Q2Sr52JUqIrr9LH4Qohq267Dj

After this I added the attachment points for the wheels, also not a very good fit and much work to bring them there.

y4mTXJb3KCwsHG6K-_2JPjTl3fYy42Q_2wsZ8XyI

y4m9Z4uMUofxxA25QqZH0HmmAb7VxWCMqwUE2v8G

Next parts of the suspension - this vehicle seems to have a very complicated system! Parts cleaned and ready for some glue...

y4mVXMb9Hv2DOl0tpP9Wc5-utvREGcS7fZyEh7Yr

...glued together...

y4mJ6IMnqq_roueB9ILZGnXMLaFNfH_Oa3eJtnRS

...and in place!

y4mzLK_CLndY_Th1dzk_2pNb2uXWm5WGEE7PrOcQ

y4mMOGADUloWNpkzdZB2MwyVkn-LTyhYApbpSz8a

Suspension is still not finished, there were still some tiny parts that wanted to be attached.

y4mYK5Uu_JrguTNyczP5fa_z3lRiEZX2HLC-vCin

Well, this is the result of the on and off modelling during the weekend - the suspension is completed, and I am glad that it's done because it was quite difficult.

y4mNBSjeh0q_eEqbRnB5nSSn4q2TE66guKE_Dqjx

y4mG-s2a_Y0JFAZdJniMhi8V7P6GoKQiubRa0BBA

Thanks for looking, any comments are welcome!

Have a nice day

Nick

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

A good bit of weekend work Nick. With such small suspension parts it was always going to be difficult. It will be interesting to see how much of it will be seen when the wheels are on and that may influence my decision on what I would do :hmmm:. I also like to offset my wheels, I think that would be a tricky job to do but something else to look at, we'll see.

Stuart

• Thanks 1

Hi Stuart,

thank you very much for your comment. I think that most of it will be hidden. When you look at pics of the real thing you don't see very much of the suspension. To offset the wheels it just would need some minor surgery on the suspension parts of the front an middle axles I think, it could be worth a try.

Have a nice day

Nick

• Like 1

This one is coming along nicely Nick. I have a few of those ACE kits in my stash, though not this particular one. I quite like the finesse of the detail they provide, while not being OTT.

Will follow with interest.

Terry

• Thanks 1

Hi all,

had some progress last day. I applied the exhaust pipes to the rear, and the fenders and the storage boxes beneath them. I had to remove some flash from the parts but otherwise this was quite straightforward.

y4m-4LhnWrlzfCK7sYng3ZRBPhP_WQkt7Mt_It80

y4m57ajpYKw8qCViXUZVjFMvHN_27LTRnlqicJYH

y4mzr_kwDtfTQG0o75nPQHzLs7iKM88lUljsSVTe

Next will be the upper parts of the hull and the front grille.

Thanks for looking. Any comments are welcome.

Have a nice day

Nick

• Like 7

@Bullbasket Interesting! Must have been no fun riding in these vehicles cross country, they seem to have been very cramped inside for 3 crew + 8!

During the last days I got the hull done, but it was quite tricky, more than expected. All the parts didn't fit quite well and it was rather difficult to get them all in place. Some filler was needed, especially at the rooftop, because the part is a tad too short.

y4mGWwL-Wx_aNDf4vNw7v7-Y_KCsaiVt0sgLwGhS

y4m_E-BhxTXQ9vRH4flWavRvBA1nwnIpI5E3dIDA

y4mWW7Kb7rGmJzrxG70GhSmmQftRBRGxN2sKvi9M

y4mNZN8oMY6lNObF6sEZsceWCRERPqE6GDMm-QGS

After that I built the tiny turret, which consists of 5 parts. Fit of the parts is good. I drilled up the lifting eyes.

y4mVY2hGvD9KaEAtQbj1iOsL42YLILDzGP3V51vS

y4m8NeBf_wriJTaXNKoPWqqkNiCEZrq391AfkFOp

Here it is where it's supposed to be.

y4m3ZCS3OEDG9YLU5MkwBYvGukU545R2Czjojov2

y4mXrp6DHwqVQkofj91K2tUl0uH-MR7-j2mj3_pB

y4mfIiVBxWbtTJaDWunovABw-VHvsryWF0hsamO1

Next will be some detail parts and primer.

Thanks for looking! Any comments are welcome.

Have a nice day

Nick

• Like 10

Hi all,

there has been some progress. First I sprayed a coat of primer to see if all the gaps are closed, especially the gap on the rooftop. After this I started to attach most of the detail parts. Some of them are very small, and I spent more time on my hands and knees searching for the jumped off itsy bitsy parts than attaching them. Fortunately my parquet monster wasn't hungry, I found them all!

y4m1y4Ll96nOee2KRBg-i56ef13VdDgleC9i6usT

y4m9GJefq8Ym1NReZevxonApBLC58wunoF0m3U41

y4mDtBauqXGLto-NHGjL0QsIVwmWHgSkqdjIk8ce

y4m326KZNKr2eHQ7RsuME-pXU0_Iv3KYhODXzScs

Next I sprayed another coat of primer, this is the current status.

y4mgtmyTaxXWue0tT0l0ToZyrjsU54oRQogNn13A

y4mBzeQPsC0B8m1jhfFpPluE9TGONIurb0gK_cmq

y4mFZtKWbgc69wtMoiBMEDkKaXfJk5hyI1VzGumm

y4m6oGAfjYO3TG_ru330ivCTgp61s0YPhTxQk-Yb

Next will be building the wheel disks, and then I might spray the first coat of green overall.

Have a nice day

Nick

• Like 8

@Courageous @Bullbasket @Dads203 Thank you very much for your very kind words, Stuart, John and Dads! 

14 hours ago, Courageous said:

Recently acquired my copy.

Great! I hope you'll enjoy the build as much as I do!

14 hours ago, Dads203 said:

....but you make it look like child's play Nick  :thumbsup:

Not at all in fact, I swear and curse and say things not suitable for children's ears during handling such small parts! :wall: Anyway, I think the hardest part is done now.

Have a nice day

Nick

• Like 3

Hi Nick, just catching up with your build, progressed really well, looks good even in primer. 

Still to small for sanity!:shocked:

Good luck

Darryl 

• Thanks 1