Some clarity in the trading section.

Bullbasket

Is there any way that posts in the For Sale and Wanted sections could have a bit of clarity in the title? The vast majority are for aircraft, so for the likes of me, who are not interested in that genre, it's like wading through treacle to see if there is anything that appeals to my interests. It must be even worse for people who are interested in the even less supported types of modelling. Titles such as "Stash Clear out" or "downsizing" give no indication as to what's being offered for sale. A simple title such as "Aircraft kits for sale" and possibly including the scale would save having to open up each thread, only to discover that it's of no interest to you.

John.

• Like 14

Often asked and repeated yet ignored. 

More clarity is always good for all sides, sometime I cant be bothered to look at a post that says Wanted, and then what wanted is in the post, where as wanted 1/72 Fairey Friutbat might illicit the response o I have 2 so could let one go.

The same goes for Buying as well. 

However like I say this has been asked for numerous times and gets ignored.

JUlien

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

Is there any way that posts in the For Sale and Wanted sections could have a bit of clarity in the title? The vast majority are for aircraft, so for the likes of me, who are not interested in that genre, it's like wading through treacle to see if there is anything that appeals to my interests. It must be even worse for people who are interested in the even less supported types of modelling. Titles such as "Stash Clear out" or "downsizing" give no indication as to what's being offered for sale. A simple title such as "Aircraft kits for sale" and possibly including the scale would save having to open up each thread, only to discover that it's of no interest to you.

John.

What, people can get models of boats and stuff, why didn't somebody tell me....

good point though.

• Haha 3

59 minutes ago, PLC1966 said:

why didn't somebody tell me....

Because they couldn't be bothered to clarify their title.

It's basically the for sale page as of the 24 or so posts, at least 10 of them are nondescript. The wanted page (at least page 1) are all clearly set out in their relevant titles. It's not as if there is no way to do it. All that's required is to fill out the tags, as some people have done. Maybe if those fields were "required" before they were allowed to proceed, they'd have to fill in the info.

John (washing the treacle from his boots).

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Julien said:

Often asked and repeated yet ignored. 

More clarity is always good for all sides, sometime I cant be bothered to look at a post that says Wanted, and then what wanted is in the post, where as wanted 1/72 Fairey Friutbat might illicit the response o I have 2 so could let one go.

The same goes for Buying as well. 

However like I say this has been asked for numerous times and gets ignored.

JUlien

Can I suggest it is made mandatory rather than just "asked for" and posts which don't comply are deleted?  

23 minutes ago, Skodadriver said:

Can I suggest it is made mandatory rather than just "asked for" and posts which don't comply are deleted?  

To be frank no, people are free to make their own post as per the rule there and this would only make more work. It would then be to judgemental to consider as well.

If people put more/better descriptions they will find it easier to buy/sell/trade what they want so they can decide for themselves.

I would have thought it's obvious to add more detail than less if someone wants their stuff to stand out and sell quickly. Ah, maybe that's where I'm going wrong, I should try 'BlackMike's Doodahs.com', it all makes sense now :) (actually that's an even worse idea than the real name, we already get a lot of random likes on our FB Page from young ladies!!)

Duncan B

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, Julien said:

To be frank no, people are free to make their own post as per the rule there and this would only make more work. It would then be to judgemental to consider as well.

If people put more/better descriptions they will find it easier to buy/sell/trade what they want so they can decide for themselves.

What about what I suggested earlier ie; that the tags be made a required field. At least that way we might get some hint at what they are selling or looking for. Yes, I know that you'd still get the one who'd still manage to put something unhelpful in the tags, but at least it might get some doing it right.

John.

That's just another additional overhead, and who would police it?  Aren't we busy enough, with all the other expectations demanded of the Admin Team?   Even if the sections were broken down further, by the use of tags or whatever; people would still circumvent that by putting "various" or "too many to categorise/list" etc.

The subject has already be sectioned into Wanted, For Sale, and Trade and those are descriptive enough for most.

Mike

10 minutes ago, bootneck said:

That's just another additional overhead, and who would police it?  Aren't we busy enough, with all the other expectations demanded of the Admin Team?   Even if the sections were broken down further, by the use of tags or whatever; people would still circumvent that by putting "various" or "too many to categorise/list" etc.

The subject has already be sectioned into Wanted, For Sale, and Trade and those are descriptive enough for most.

Mike

Well, all I did was ask if it was possible. You see, plebs like me don't understand the workings of the site, so it would have been useful if it could have been explained why it wasn't possible. That's all.

John.

The Mod workload is high, and the laziness coin is many-faceted.  Some folks can't be bothered to list their sale stuff individually, which gets deleted and of course moaned about.  Some can't be bothered putting prices on - that gets requested and if no response deleted.  People compain about that too.  Some people can't be bothered to put shipping prices, which we tell them about and remove the listing if they don't comply.  That of course also gets people all boo-hoo too.  Then there are the folks that can't be bothered to read a few lines of a listing to see whether there's anything that suits their interests.  There are so many ways that the area could be made better if we had the person-power to do that, but we don't, so we have to rely on people to self-police, or report stuff when they see it on the off-chance that we don't see it.

Then you have to consider that this is a free service to all the members after they've made 100 meaningful posts.  We don't get a bean for this, unless the seller or buyer has or does make a donation to help out.  There's only three of us so you can imagine how tricky it can be to spend extra time on running round telling people off for not crossing their eyes and dotting their tees.  Also, think of the extra moaning we'd have to endure :owww:

So short answer, we can't do much about it, so either ignore people that can't post up their listings to your taste, or take a few minutes to speed-read through listings.  Most sensible folks give you enough information to get through that quickly by breaking it down into sections.  What more can you ask? :shrug:  What would you do with the extra time?  Speak to your family? :mental:

7 hours ago, Duncan B said:

Ah, maybe that's where I'm going wrong,

Duncan -  watch and learn.

You could save a lot of time keeping your website up to date if you just put 'KITS' at the top of each page then a list of prices and a 'buy now' button. 😉

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Mike said:

The Mod workload is high, and the laziness coin is many-faceted.  Some folks can't be bothered to list their sale stuff individually, which gets deleted and of course moaned about.  Some can't be bothered putting prices on - that gets requested and if no response deleted.  People compain about that too.  Some people can't be bothered to put shipping prices, which we tell them about and remove the listing if they don't comply.  That of course also gets people all boo-hoo too.  Then there are the folks that can't be bothered to read a few lines of a listing to see whether there's anything that suits their interests.  There are so many ways that the area could be made better if we had the person-power to do that, but we don't, so we have to rely on people to self-police, or report stuff when they see it on the off-chance that we don't see it.

Then you have to consider that this is a free service to all the members after they've made 100 meaningful posts.  We don't get a bean for this, unless the seller or buyer has or does make a donation to help out.  There's only three of us so you can imagine how tricky it can be to spend extra time on running round telling people off for not crossing their eyes and dotting their tees.  Also, think of the extra moaning we'd have to endure :owww:

So short answer, we can't do much about it, so either ignore people that can't post up their listings to your taste, or take a few minutes to speed-read through listings.  Most sensible folks give you enough information to get through that quickly by breaking it down into sections.  What more can you ask? :shrug:  What would you do with the extra time?  Speak to your family? :mental:

I'm beginning to wish that I'd never started this. Yes, I get all of what you  have said, My suggestion/question was meant to see if it was a way of preventing you having to police it all, and to make it easier for the members to find what they might be looking for. My question in case anyone has missed it was, could the tags be a ""required field". If not a simple No, would suffice.

John.

2 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

My question in case anyone has missed it was, could the tags be a ""required field". If not a simple No, would suffice.

No.  You can't make tags mandatory for general members without limiting it to a few, which would have worked (at least in theory), but there's nothing to stop anyone from just ignoring them.  Those people are probably at least a subset of the ones that don't put sensible titles on anyway :shrug: