1/32 - Fokker F.1,Dr.I (early & late) by Meng - released

Homebee

1 hour ago, HMSLion said:

I'm not going to argue, I'm just going to buy three or four of them.  And build them.

WRT the O/400 and Lancaster, we need to remember that those "Christmas present stash queen" kits were probably the death of WNW.  The last WNW releases were the Felixstowe, AEG, Gotha G.1 - and the O/400, Dr.1, and Lancaster cued up right behind them.  And those $350 monsters with 30-inch wingspans may sound appealing, but I'm a firm believer in the Rule of 225 (or 1600, in metric units).  A model needs to fit onto a rectangle of roughly 15 x 15 inches (or 40 x 40 cm).  Much larger than that, and you've got nowhere to put the blasted thing.

You forgot the early Albatros ,Camels  ,the Junkers J 1,and the Halberstadt releases tho.... all of them coming out after the Felixstowe and the Aeg .  I was a few years back part of the NZ distribution chain for Wingnut to NZ hobby stores  (Via Replicant Hobbies ) and it was surprising how well the larger obscure  kits sold locally compared to smaller well known subjects .( The Aeg and Felixstowe in particular.) They also sold well through our storefront (in a city of 40,000 ) to local modellers  so IMHO I don't think any of the more obscure Wingnut subject matter contributed to their demise . They were all  appealing to Joe Public .

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Neil Lambess said:

You forgot the early Albatros ,Camels  ,the Junkers J 1,and the Halberstadt releases tho.... all of them coming out after the Felixstowe and the Aeg .  I was a few years back part of the NZ distribution chain for Wingnut to NZ hobby stores  (Via Replicant Hobbies ) and it was surprising how well the larger obscure  kits sold locally compared to smaller well known subjects .( The Aeg and Felixstowe in particular.) They also sold well through our storefront (in a city of 40,000 ) to local modellers  so IMHO I don't think any of the more obscure Wingnut subject matter contributed to their demise . They were all  appealing to Joe Public .

Interesting, did you notice a difference in popularity of the different versions of Felixstowe? It took me days to choose between the early and late (I settled on late in the end).

Source: https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=3094474330665870&id=195290177250981

More than one hundred years ago, Europe was in a state of devastation. Farms and pastures were ruined by shell craters and muddy water. Laughter in bars was replaced by people’s sobbing. Bank managers became soldiers hiding in the trenches and primary school teachers plunged bayonets into others’ chests. Everyone on the battlefield was surrounded by the angriest roars and the most vicious curses. But even in the desperate twilight, there was one gem shining brilliantly. Its brightness was so dazzling that it’s still remembered by the once warring parties. Manfred von Richthofen, the cavalry officer who learn to fly in 1915, became the top-scoring ace of World War I by winning 80 air combat victories in less than two years. His iconic red aircraft was well known to both warring parties. The Germans rejoiced in it, and the Allies were convinced by his exquisite combat skills and precious chivalry. As a legend, his death was dramatic because of the bizarre possibilities. The story of the “Red Baron” has gone across time and beyond hatred and is still being told today.

The QS-002s Fokker Dr.I Triplane “Red Baron” is a limited edition product based on the MENG QS-002 Fokker Dr.I Triplane kit. This kit includes a 1/10 resin bust of the “Red Baron” Manfred von Richthofen and a Fokker Dr.I Triplane kit. This Manfred von Richthofen bust features calm and confident facial expressions. The figure wears a leather flight jacket over the Imperial German Army uniform. He wears an M1910 Officer Visor Cap on his head and a Blue Max medal on the neckline. This is the most well-known image of the “Red Baron”. This product is limited to 1,000 kits.

104416517-3094473070665996-2788066120602

105558892-3094473113999325-2693774394151

V.P.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Excellent news that this kit will see the light of the day. Here's to all those other older WNW kits getting re-releases down the road.

The kit is shown at 69,95 euros on the Aviation Megastore website in NL, with the caveat that this price is indicative, but that would be a few tenners less I think then if WNW released it. I suppose the complete package will be a bit thinner, with less decal options and less documentation but that is a fair trade-off.

Putting one on backorder now.

Think I might get one while hoping for another release with interesting decals( the Manfred Von scheme is just an easy option). So I will just sell the bust off in my bargain bin!

20 hours ago, KITCAT said:

Think I might get one while hoping for another release with interesting decals( the Manfred Von scheme is just an easy option). So I will just sell the bust off in my bargain bin!

While it is an easy option it will be an option which sells.

22 hours ago, KITCAT said:

Why spend more on the Ltd.Ed (if you can get one) and then get rid of the thing that makes it, a: more expensive and b: the Limited Edition? Just curious as to why that's a purchasing option worth considering.

Duncan B 

Anyone seen anything on what colour schemes will be included - not that interested in doing a red one.

I’ve seen some UK retailers taking pre-orders around the £60 mark.

Cheers,

Nigel

1 hour ago, Duncan B said:

Why spend more on the Ltd.Ed (if you can get one) and then get rid of the thing that makes it, a: more expensive and b: the Limited Edition? Just curious as to why that's a purchasing option worth considering.

Duncan B 

That's if we get some options, at present I've heard of a double issue early and late versions, a single version and now with a bust(not original) so it all depends on what we get.

1 hour ago, KITCAT said:

That's if we get some options, at present I've heard of a double issue early and late versions, a single version and now with a bust(not original) so it all depends on what we get.

QS-002 is the standard edition with 3 build options, F.1 and Dr.1 early and late versions, and the Ltd. Ed QS-002S is the same plastic as the standard kit but with the bust of MvR. You'll pay another £20 for the Ltd.Ed.

Duncan B

4 hours ago, Duncan B said:

QS-002 is the standard edition with 3 build options, F.1 and Dr.1 early and late versions, and the Ltd. Ed QS-002S is the same plastic as the standard kit but with the bust of MvR. You'll pay another £20 for the Ltd.Ed.

Duncan B

I too am really interested in whether there will be any decal options with this kit? At worst it could just be a Red Baron machine in which case Pheon and Aviattic will be rubbing their hands together!!

Simon

Luckymodel in HK is listing the 2 kits, with and without the Bust.  The standard, no bust kit is shown at $39.99 which seems like a great deal.  I really which Meng the best in sales with this - it would be good for the hobby to have this a success.

On 6/26/2020 at 10:07 AM, Duncan B said:

QS-002 is the standard edition with 3 build options, F.1 and Dr.1 early and late versions,

Duncan B

This must mean that there are other decal/colour schemes - not just all over red (Richthofen).

That would have me interested.

Cheers,

Nigel

19 minutes ago, nheather said:

This must mean that there are other decal/colour schemes - not just all over red (Richthofen).

That would have me interested.

Cheers,

Nigel

I hope you are right but having all the parts options doesn’t mean they will include decal options. But if you check the Aviattic site - as I did yesterday- there must be 4 or 5 Richthofen options alone for the Red Baron! I wonder where the true market price of the kit will end up? The cheapest Wingnut ever I suspect!!

• 2 weeks later...

Probably the most shoddily assembled Wingnut (sorry, Meng) kit I've ever seen! The pre-production Lanc and O/100-400 looked great, even without paint and I'm sure the Dr.I looked better than that although I must admit that, last November, I wasn't all that interested in it!! End of August yes?

• 3 weeks later...
48 minutes ago, krow113 said:

LOL

Wow so pre-order means pre-judging a kit not even out yet!?

I'll wait until it comes out and see for myself before listening to any drivel of that sort.

The parts are great, the assembly is poor. I have 3 on order. It’s Wingnut- it will be great plastic and great etch, the rest, who knows, but we’ll see.