1/32 - Fokker F.1,Dr.I (early & late) by Meng - released

Homebee

Yes I'm up for the Triplanes but pray Meng provide a decal sheet that is'nt the usual  Manfred Von and wonder Voss schemes. I would really like decals for Jasta 11 for instance.

I hope the price is ok too because recent expenditure on WnW's kits have left me eating Pot Noodles( not really ).:violin:

• Like 1

Reading from several sites all over the net and reading between the lines too ... sure does seem this would have been the WnW Dr.I kit.

Meng had licence for moulds for this kit apparently?, we all knew WnW never moulded the kits themselves and the moulding went to contractors (or so I'm told) but I don't mind, was really looking fwd to the WnW Dr.I, shame we wont have the quality box art, guess the decals are still to do, wonder what the final price will be, WnW price or Meng price ... actually, not sure what Meng charge?  :)

This has got to be good news for WW1 Aviation scale modellers though no matter where kit originated from ... count me in for one at least.

19 hours ago, RichieW said:

Very good news!

I cannot help but wonder if Meng will be releasing a rather large Lancaster model soon too.

Will you be stocking this Duncan? I shall order mine from you if so.

Richie

On a FB forum David Johnson, a former staff of WnW, stated that the Lanc was not moulded at Meng‘s. So Meng probably won't issue it. (WnW's Fok. Dr.1 was moulded at Meng's.)

• Like 1

I'd hate to think all the work done on the WnW Lancaster may come to nothing. What a beautiful creation that was. Glad the Dr.1 will be released though. 

Interestingly, reading the information on the box it would appear that both the early and late versions are in the same kit. WnW was going to do 2 separate kits.

Also, do MENG actually do their own tooling/moulding or is it another company further down the line?

Edited by keithjs
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Caerbannog said:

So what else did Meng tool for WNW? And who did the other toolings for WNW - is this known?

I don't think anyone really knows for sure? have heard WnW spread the tooling around between different company's? ... all in China apparently, so my guess is, Meng probably did other kits for WnW, the big question many must be asking is, did they start tooling for the Lancaster's, and will they finally get a surprise release like the Dr.I

Hope so, had pre-ordered a 1/32 WnW Lanc from Hannants ages ago, both versions actually, but cancelled them but kept the WnW Hannants Dr.I's on backorder ... now that the Lancs are in doubt, do hope they get a release somehow, would buy the Dambuster version for sure.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, One 48 said:

I don't think anyone really knows for sure? have heard WnW spread the tooling around between different company's? ... all in China apparently, so my guess is, Meng probably did other kits for WnW, the big question many must be asking is, did they start tooling for the Lancaster's, and will they finally get a surprise release like the Dr.I

Hope so, had pre-ordered a 1/32 WnW Lanc from Hannants ages ago, both versions actually, but cancelled them but kept the WnW Hannants Dr.I's on backorder ... now that the Lancs are in doubt, do hope they get a release somehow, would buy the Dambuster version for sure.

Former WNW employees know, they have said that Meng were not involved in making the moulds for the Lancs or HP's. They did not elaborate on who did and no-one asked, and I doubt they will say anything unless we see something similar as what happened with Meng. Former WNW are quite active on WNW fan pages on FB and of course the WW1 forum where the news was broken about WNW troubles. Dave over on the WW1 forum is very close with the former WNw employees.

• Like 3

On 6/18/2020 at 7:37 AM, JohnT said:

I did suspect that their moulds and other designs would not just end up in the dustbin of history - at least I had hoped so.  Too valuable an asset to end up at the back of the store room.

you are right, the molds are very valuable and probably the most valuable asset of WNW other than maybe the brand itself.  And these are not short-run molds so they hold up for a long time so I am certain this asset will need to be monitized by WNW which I think will result in reissues of the kits down the road, including discontinued kits.   I don't think it matters much who made them or created their plastic as I am sure WNW owned them - but you never know - just speculation.  But this is a great sign for the modeling community indeed!

• Like 1

Please do not troll.

Meng sells licensed F-35 and P-51 Mustang kits. Also the Jagdpanther was done through Bovington and the boxes all acknowledge this.

PJ is not a shyster, if he was to sell or lease rights to a mould to keep the books in order he will do it legally and above board. 

They are both high end operations, no need to bring in any suppositions.

Marcus

14 hours ago, Gentleman Jim said:

Do you suppose that Meng are observing copyright rules ?

Innocent until proven otherwise? Meng is a reputable firm, as far as I know.

It is a legitimate question though, and not fair to call asking it trolling. Copyright issues should be taken seriously, and I would be happy if all customers first checked if there were any shenanigans involved before buying, no matter from where. Plenty of model kit companies are involved in IP theft. My answer here is to consider it legit. No complaints have been heard from WNW.

Edited by Torbjorn
  • Like 1

• Greg B locked this topic

How do you propose that model kit customers should check? WNW is defunct, there is no-one there to check with, and no-one apart from the two companies is in any position to know the details of their commercial agreements. This comment is potentially defamatory and you have provided no ground whatsoever for suspicion so it does amount to trolling. 

Edited by Work In Progress
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Gentleman Jim said:

Do you suppose that Meng are observing copyright rules ?

Not so much copyright I think as they helped develop the tools and probably picked it up as payment etc for services.

Unless you have proof I would be wary of banding accusations like that around as you could open yourself and the forum up for legal action. 

• Like 4

There is silence from WNW/WETA, I would presume if there was an issue we would have heard (plus copyright and ownership with China is complex from what I picked up). Meng looks like a good company, sadly only got one kit of theirs so far :). Also, I know a former WNW member is looking forward to buying a few of these kits and I am also looking to buying one or two, hopefully I can get at least OK with figure painting as I have the Manfred boxing of the Albatros D.V and it would look nice to have him posed with different planes and schemes.

1 hour ago, Work In Progress said:

How do you propose that model kit customers should check? WNW is defunct, there is no-one there to check with, and no-one apart from the two companies is in any position to know the details of their commercial agreements. This comment is potentially defamatory and you have provided no ground whatsoever for suspicion so it does amount to trolling. 

I’m not sure who you are addressing, and which comment you find defamatory. Maybe it’s a language issue, but I did not perceive his question as an accusation. Why should I provide ”ground for suspicion” when I’m not suggesting anything other than this being legit? 

As how to check - ask on a forum, for example. He did, and got several answers, all suggesting it’s perfectly legit.

Edited by Torbjorn
  • Like 1

In case people didn't get the email from Hannants last Saturday:

"Message; As you probably know Wingnut Wings have sadly recently ceased trading.
We have just been told that Meng Models will be releasing the Wingnut Wings Fokker Dr.I Triplane in their own range.
Meng Models were going to be producing the Fokker Dr.I Triplane plastic parts for Wingnut Wings so quality will be exactly the same.
We do not have any more information such as price or release date yet.
We urge you to reserve your kit by placing it on Backorder..."

I took out the link to the back order itself, not sure if its allowed on the site, but should be easy to find. Whoever told Hannants is likely to be reliable, hopefully we can move on and actually start discussing the kit :).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, FlyingPenguin said:

, hopefully we can move on and actually start discussing the kit :).

No hope in it, that topics done and we will move on.

• Like 1

I'm not going to argue, I'm just going to buy three or four of them.  And build them.

WRT the O/400 and Lancaster, we need to remember that those "Christmas present stash queen" kits were probably the death of WNW.  The last WNW releases were the Felixstowe, AEG, Gotha G.1 - and the O/400, Dr.1, and Lancaster cued up right behind them.  And those $350 monsters with 30-inch wingspans may sound appealing, but I'm a firm believer in the Rule of 225 (or 1600, in metric units).  A model needs to fit onto a rectangle of roughly 15 x 15 inches (or 40 x 40 cm).  Much larger than that, and you've got nowhere to put the blasted thing.

• Like 1

Incredible the amount of garbage I'm reading about the whole scenario.

Yes . I know I dont hafta read it , but it is news and thats digestible , the other crap being laid down is indicative of the nature of the customer base targeted ,

by Meng and other model companies.

And its not a flattering indicator.

Kudos to Meng for stepping up , if thats what happened !

I hope they can release the rest of the catalogue or the molds they have , and whoever has the rest , does the same.

As of this ponit I DONT BELIEVE ANYONE ON A MODEL FORUM regarding this news.