1/32 - Fokker F.1,Dr.I (early & late) by Meng - released

Homebee

Modelling abhors a vacuum. After Wingnut Wings (WnW) demise (link) Meng is taking up the torch with a 1/32nd Fokker F.I, Dr.I (early & late) kit - ref. QS-002. 

Sources: 

http://www.meng-model.com/en/contents/59/290.html

https://www.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=3079892082124095&id=195290177250981

In autumn 1917, machine guns, barbed wires and shell craters were all over the quiet and wet Western Europe. Accompanied by death and rats, a soldier who curled up in the muddy trenches looked into the sky. That’s the only pure place he could watch. But even in the sky, there was a dominator. From time to time, the specially shaped German triplanes appeared and dogfighted with British and French planes. Among those German triplanes, one red aircraft stood out in the blue sky. By flying excellent maneuvers, this red triplane could always defeat those British and French aircraft which tried to shoot it down. The red triplane was the dominator of the sky, and its pilot called “Red Baron”.
The red triplane flown by Manfred von Richthofen, the “Red Baron”, was a Fokker Dr.I triplane produced by the Fokker company in 1917. Its three wings were arranged in order from top to bottom with the wing areas reduced sequentially. In this way, the triplane could get more lift than biplanes and monoplanes and wouldn’t suffer too much drag. Most metal bracing wires were hidden inside the aircraft to further reduce the drag. Two MG08 air-cooled machine guns with synchronization gear were installed in front of the cockpit. Its firepower was far better than the British triplanes.
We know that you have been waiting for a carefully studied large scale Fokker Dr.I model kit with precise details for a long time. Now your wishes come true as the latest MENG QS-002 Fokker Dr.I Triplane model kit will be available soon. This 1/32 scale model kit features accurate exteriors, wing structure and realistic fabric covering. This aircraft’s cockpit interiors and engine construction are completely replicated. Exquisite PE cooling jackets and sights are provided to replicate the complete aircraft machine guns. The eye-catching “Red Baron” paint scheme is included. The finished model will be 180.44mm long and 225mm wide. It shows the classic shape and colorful appearance of this classic fighter aircraft. It can become the brightest star in your collection.

83527621-3079891408790829-96442788180389

104163737-3079890998790870-8659575457596

104297084-3079891298790840-4939422674501

V.P.

Matt-Memory2.jpg

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 7

17 minutes ago, KITCAT said:

Well well well.

3 holes in the ground , or - a quote on FB - "This appears it's the WNW tooling. I just talking to Darren who designed it"

Considering M. Bryan Wall (link) was Lead Modeller at Wingnut Wings and that Meng was the WnW tooling subcontractor for the F.I, Dr.I (early & late), we can assume this new Meng kit is nothing else than the former WnW triplane original project. 

Source: comments https://www.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=3079892082124095&id=195290177250981

DR1.png

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 2

Meng have just announced a Fokker Dr.1 in 1/32 due for release very shortly. The announcement included pictures nice CAD renderings and the long statement made more than a passing comment about WW1 fans having been waiting for a modern 1/32 Dr.1 release. 

I'm not one to believe in coincidence and my suspicious mind immediately turned to another Dr.1 in 1/32 scale that was due for imminent release back in January this year but never appeared. Is this it breaking cover under another Brand name I wonder?

Duncan B 

Edit: From people in the know it would appear to be the WnW kit as Meng apparently did the Mould engineering for them

• Like 4

Of all the WnW projects that were underway the Dr.1 was the closest to release so this all makes sense. As an aside this would confirm what we have all really known for some time that WnW will not be making a (swift) return after the CV-19 situation improves.

Let's hope some more of the ex WnW moulds reappear soon too.

Duncan B

• Like 2

I did suspect that their moulds and other designs would not just end up in the dustbin of history - at least I had hoped so.  Too valuable an asset to end up at the back of the store room.  

Less advanced projects might be another kettle of fish though.  

Can those who have insight as to industry practice say where the main costs are?  R&D or mould making and production/marketing?  If the latter then the Lanc and the 0/400 may depend on first how far along the line they are and second if the likes of Meng have the appetite to take those kits to the market now.  Now - anyone fancy my BNIB Dr1 from Roden :D  (joking as will be keeping it "just in case!")

Very good news!

I cannot help but wonder if Meng will be releasing a rather large Lancaster model soon too.

Will you be stocking this Duncan? I shall order mine from you if so.

Richie

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, RichieW said:

Very good news!

I cannot help but wonder if Meng will be releasing a rather large Lancaster model soon too.

Richie

Oh yes, I'll be in for some of these for sure. I already stock Meng so these will be a welcome addition.

Duncan B

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RichieW said:

Very good news!

Richie

Me too Duncan. Tripe and if the crystal ball is right I’ll take a Lanc too. Time to support the local team methinks

• Thanks 1

Please, please, please!!! In these times of doom and gloom let there please be the bright shining light of a Meng (Wingnut Wings) DR.1 to tempt me to spend more money with Duncan!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Duncan B said:

Oh yes, I'll be in for some of these for sure. I already stock Meng so these will be a welcome addition.

Duncan B

That's good news, you gave such rapid, excellent service when I ordered a WNW Pfalz from you when the news hit. I will be supporting your business in future for my modelling needs. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Admiral Puff said:

BUT - and this is where the story really starts - will they give us a 504? Inquiring minds need to know ...

A 504, and a Bristol Scout would be very nice. Engines for the scratch builders (I'm not in that camp yet) would be good too.

• Like 1