Heng Long Tiger I Paint Scheme

Hi all,

I'm looking some advice. I recently purchased the Heng Long Tiger I. Currently waiting for it to arrive. I'm considering painting it German Grey with a white wash. I am wondering if there are any Tigers in reality that would have been painted like this and if so what were the tanks markings and is there much reference?

Here is a picture of a 1/35 Tamiya Early Tiger that I done previously to give you an idea of what I am considering in terms of paint job:

9b9bba08a31bd1032e8007bf4ab4b91e.jpg

Thanks in advance.

• Like 4

One of the best Tiger 1 reference books I've encountered is "Tiger 1 on the Eastern Front" (I think its by Jean Restain, but don't quote me on that!). There is an accompanying "Tiger 1 on the Western Front". Not cheap books, but both a font of good knowledge. 

Chris. 

As far as i remember only very early or what the model companies call the initial production Tigers went to the Russian front in Grey, they were quite a bit different from the early production vehicles having no exhaust guards different front mudguards very early style feifel air filters and slightly different stowage box on the back of the turret and in some cases a PzKpfw III turret box fitted.....research on the vehicle needs to be done if you want an accurate build....or you can just wing it and just be happy and content with the possibility it might not be strictly correct but that you had fun building it.:wink:

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I’ve just bought one of these and it’s pretty good, in my opinion. Needs a repaint though. I’ve noticed that the wheels seem to have too much of a black area to represent the tyres. It seems to go onto what I think would be the metal part of the wheel. Just wondering if there’s an easy way to paint all those wheels and keep the rubber tyre where it should be, without going mad that is ..;)

thanks in advance 

Phil

A paint mask made out of 0.4mm plastic-card, perhaps? Once you've got produced the right size of hole in the card, painting all the wheels should be relatively easy - in theory, at least. If you're using an airbrush, you should be able to finish things off quite quickly.  

Hope this helps.

Chris.  

Edited by spruecutter96
Amending some information.

I have found these work well. Just mask off the holes you are not using.

85a07316-f831-4dfd-9733-d97add00f9fd.jpg

Think i got this from Amazon, but sure they are available in lots of other places. Less than £5.

George