Mr. Finishing Surfacer 1500 Spray Primers

Of Models & Monsters

Hola everyone, so after trying to make the Vallejo surface primers work I think I have no choice but to move on to something else.  I have heard recommendations for Mr. Hobby's primers but I hate the thought of putting anything lacquer based into my airbrush so I've been looking at their spray can primers.  Has anyone used these and if so do you recommend them?

I've not used their can based stuff but I found the 1500 through my airbrush to have no issues at all. If you're going to go down the rattlecan route then I've also found Halfords to have pleasant results as well as all the Citadel colours. 

I use the spray can Mr Surfacer on all my models. Its great stuff. I did try with airbrush, but really As long as your paying attention and use light smooth passes you wont have problems straight from the rattle can.

its great stuff, great time saver especially when you have finishes that need a nice smooth undercoat.

Ray

I've been using Mr. Surfacer 1000 or 1200 ever since I got into airbrushing. Leveling thinner to dilute it, it makes it settle very smooth.

Clean up is nice and easy with lacquer thinner, some people use IPA but I find that's a bit weak for it. Careful with the fumes, it's pretty bad stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

If you want to stay acrylic, give Badger Stynelrez a try, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. It's also bottled under UMP Ultimate Primer and if I recall correctly, Mig One-Shot. The biggest benefit is that it's easy to spray and is sandable - doesn't come off in chunks like the Vallejo seems to. 

• Like 1