Grumman A-6A Intruder, VA-35 Black Panthers, USS Enterprise 1966

Sometimes I go a bit bananas over a build.... like in this case :P

This became a somewhat bigger project than I had anticipated and a bit of my folly shines through.
My first thought with this kit was that "I will show that any model is buildable" after all the flak this particular kit had recieved I got a bit piggheaded about it.
The end product is perhaps not a silk purse sewn from a sows ear...but it´s at least fake silk....or nylon 😛

It was a challenge and to be honest about it, Kinetic didn´t help matters...this kit is crap! It comes with the composite wing, wich I discovered to late to change my mind about the subject I was going to build.
I ended up building an early "A" model and I had to convert a "E" kit with a composite wing into an early "A"...it wasn´t really doable without major reconstruction, I went with faking the win gs and that helped
a bit.
I fixed small details like removing the Chaff/Flare launchers, adding second position lights to the wingtips,moving the belly light to the nose gear door, making covers for the arrestor hook.
As for bringing the kit up to snuff I had to ad a bit of aftermarket and scratchbuilding...

The list followa: D MOld seamless intakes, wolfpack resin seats, Avionix cockpit, quick boost IFR probe, hypersonic exhausts, Res Kit wheels, Profimodeller turned brass pitot tube, Eduard masks and decals from
Furball.
I scratchbuilt the boarding ladders and added details to the struts and wheel bays.and used copious ammounts of putty all round 😛

As for the subject, I have a thing for USS Enterprise...so I went with a Early A-model, BuNo 152597 flying with VA-35 Black Panthers on their USS Enterprice cruise 1966-67. The fun thing while looking for references 
for the kit I came in contact with a gentleman who´s dad had been Squadron leader for VA-35 during that very cruise, his dad had flown the 152597 on numerous missions and I´m very grateful for all the information I 
recieved. The 152597 was later turned into a KA-6 tanker and ended up as a target drone.

Well after all that reading you want pics right?

Here they are 😄

DSC_3767_zps53ivkowv.jpg DSC_3769_zps0a7bcbzg.jpg DSC_3771_zpssma2wusk.jpg DSC_3773_zpscfzgkons.jpg DSC_3776_zpsns4hr3ck.jpg DSC_3779_zpsqciwocml.jpg DSC_3781_zpsbko0eu1f.jpg DSC_3783_zpsaahtate7.jpg DSC_3785_zpseqkjlkha.jpg DSC_3787_zpslvocd5t4.jpg DSC_3789_zps1xlbebwv.jpg DSC_3792_zps3wgyzoyf.jpg DSC_3795_zpsaogfhmgl.jpg DSC_3797_zpsnbs41fwt.jpg DSC_3799_zps48oyqmur.jpg DSC_3804_zpsp0bydayv.jpg DSC_3806_zpsb28uegsd.jpg DSC_3809_zpshrvm7n06.jpg DSC_3812_zpswwvf5ahi.jpg DSC_3814_zpscod8vzlp.jpg DSC_3816_zpst7hig6sf.jpg DSC_3819_zps0yqsu4jp.jpg DSC_3823_zpsopsjtwgv.jpg DSC_3825_zpszmunzrhk.jpg DSC_3826_zpsdkxmf2kp.jpg DSC_3827_zpsoqwd6cwv.jpg DSC_3828_zpsnbuokpjl.jpg DSC_3829_zpsuynwscd2.jpg DSC_3830_zpsncwsokk5.jpg DSC_3831_zpsuywiwevu.jpg DSC_3832_zpsmzfgvr0h.jpg DSC_3833_zpseond5afv.jpg DSC_3834_zpsv4n1uqxc.jpg DSC_3835_zpsxogovues.jpg DSC_3836_zpssrxdyrvf.jpg

Cheers!

• Like 50
  • Thanks 2

The kit may be garbage (my word) but to look at your finished model, it would be hard to even imagine that's it's a difficult build. Your work is truly extraordinary; definitely master modeler quality. And the cockpit, something I always look forward to examining, is mind boggling wonderful!

37 minutes ago, Phone Phixer said:

Wow, that looks incredible. A suburb end result for all your hard work.

Thanx Phone Phixer :D

I was content with it...lots of hack'n slash modelling in this build 😜

13 minutes ago, SAT69 said:

The kit may be garbage (my word) but to look at your finished model, it would be hard to even imagine that's it's a difficult build. Your work is truly extraordinary; definitely master modeler quality. And the cockpit, something I always look forward to examining, is mind boggling wonderful!

Thanx SAT69 :D

I do like making cockpits :D

spacer.png

• Like 2

Excellent work! :worthy:

From all that I read, you certainly put in some significant work to get that result.

I built one Kinetic kit, their 1/48 F-16D Block 52+, and that was quite enough for me!

9 minutes ago, dnl42 said:

Excellent work! :worthy:

From all that I read, you certainly put in some significant work to get that result.

I built one Kinetic kit, their 1/48 F-16D Block 52+, and that was quite enough for me!

Thanx dnl42 :D

yeah, it was a bit work intensive though not all of their kits are rubbish, the newer kits are actually quite decent. Like their Kfir.

Building the E version of this kit as we speak, OOB, agree with you about how bad the kit is, poor fit, vague instructions, nearly binned it so many times but strangely I’m enjoying trying to rectify everything! Your model is superb and a inspiration to push to the finishing post, totally museum quality, great job!

6 hours ago, Jeff G said:

Wow! Extremely nice to look at. Looks so good.

Thanx Jeff :D  

2 hours ago, Farmerboy said:

Building the E version of this kit as we speak, OOB, agree with you about how bad the kit is, poor fit, vague instructions, nearly binned it so many times but strangely I’m enjoying trying to rectify everything! Your model is superb and a inspiration to push to the finishing post, totally museum quality, great job!

Thanx Farmerboy :D

Ah, a fellow masochist :P

Thats insane detail!! looks more real than the real thing!! Stunning :thumbsup:

Well the kit may be lacking but that is a remarkable result! Lovely detailing and superb finish. It all looks very convincing and only a genuine Intruder man would be able to find anything to fault.

Cheers

Malcolm

Beautiful and exacting work!

I understand that you're rightly proud of your modelling, but, honestly, 35 photos (of which many are almost identical) is, IMHO, a bit excessive. Half the number would've been plenty and would've taken up less space on the host server.

Kind regards,

Joachim

5 hours ago, jonf45 said:

Thats insane detail!! looks more real than the real thing!! Stunning :thumbsup:

Thanx jonf45 :D

detailing is fun and av en tok start detailing it is hard to stol :P

3 hours ago, Baldy said:

Well the kit may be lacking but that is a remarkable result! Lovely detailing and superb finish. It all looks very convincing and only a genuine Intruder man would be able to find anything to fault.

Cheers

Malcolm

Thanx Malcolm :D

When AMS  gets a hold on you it never let's go :P

3 hours ago, F-32 said:

That's beautiful work

Thanx F-32 :D

2 hours ago, Butterfingers said:

That is one lovely build, detail is fantastic.

Thanx Butterfingers :D

2 hours ago, Spitfire31 said:

Beautiful and exacting work!

I understand that you're rightly proud of your modelling, but, honestly, 35 photos (of which many are almost identical) is, IMHO, a bit excessive. Half the number would've been plenty and would've taken up less space on the host server.

Kind regards,

Joachim

Thanx Joachim :D

Oh, I don't take 35 pictures because I'm proud of my accomplishment but to present the object from 3 different heights and angles and complete 3 full circles around the model plus detail pictures if I dare. I love aircraft and I like the way they look from different angles, how the paintjob looks and so on. Yes, it can get picture intensive but so far I believe the servers survive and most ppl appreciate them. I sorry if this bothers you but I will continue to present my finished builds this way  :D No hard feelings I hope :)

2 hours ago, Jos Jansen said:

Poooah...that is an extraordinary great intruder, beautifully built.

I love your subtle weathering.

Cheers, Jos

Thanx Jos :D

No need to ho overboard with the weathering since they were quite new in 1966 :D

2 hours ago, James G said:

Stunning Intruder, that is special indeed!

Thanx James :D

34 minutes ago, ForestFan said:

I’d say you’ve made a superb job of it! Nice one

Thanx ForedtFan :D very kind of you:)

Now that is a superb build, I don't know anything about this kit but the end result is a stunner.  I love early hi-viz US Naval AIrcraft, especially from the Vietnam War. 

I like the way that you have built it with slats, flaps etc open and the red really stands out.

Great effort and very nice photography, nice one buddy.

Phil

I wasted almost two hours of my life watching 'Flight of the Intruder' recently. Terrible film.

You've produced a great model though!

2 hours ago, Booty003 said:

Now that is a superb build, I don't know anything about this kit but the end result is a stunner.  I love early hi-viz US Naval AIrcraft, especially from the Vietnam War. 

I like the way that you have built it with slats, flaps etc open and the red really stands out.

Great effort and very nice photography, nice one buddy.

Phil

Thanx Phil :D

I wanted it colourful and the red is a really nice contrast to all the white and grey.

2 hours ago, markmcguire25 said:

I'm not familiar with the kit (still have a few Revell/Monogram in the stash), but I think it looks great!

Thanx  Mark :D

The Revell/Monogram kit is far better than the kinetic, only thing it really brings to the table are sunken panel lines.

The Hobby Boss kit is the best option as I understand it.

1 hour ago, IanC said:

I wasted almost two hours of my life watching 'Flight of the Intruder' recently. Terrible film.

You've produced a great model though!

Blasphemy! It is an amazing film!! It got intruders and skyraiders in it....what more do you want? :P

Thanx Ian :D

1 hour ago, Chanex said:

Stellar build-amazing!!

Thanx Chanex :D

50 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Sterling work and a lovely finish.

Thanx Stephen :D

38 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

Magnificent work on her well worth the end product.

Thanx Steve :D