1/72nd Valom Vickers Valetta C.1 ***FINISHED****

2 hours ago, 71chally said:

I would say they're wrong, I've held my fuselage halves to some scaled side on photos (good ones on BAE site), and when you get the fuselage length and depth scaled right the fin is a perfect match dimensionally, even to the extent that my removed rudder fits the pictures perfectly.

I found s slight issue with fin leading edge sweep back but that could be due to perspective distortion in the pictures, certainly doesn't seem off on the kit.

Re the stb'd cabin windows, they vary a bit between the various types and believe it's to do with if the galley is fitted or not (no window, galley fitted), C.2s did for example.

They should point out in the instructions to open up that last one for most Valettas though.

On the stb'd fuselage half there is a narrow upper window to cut out, this is for Vikings/Valettas with a galley.

There are some Valettas that have the mid stb'd window blanked over, possibly just T.4s, but definitely worth checking photo references if you can.

The very rear window I'm going to lay tracing paper over to give that bathroom window look!

Cracking work Tony, really coming alive with the stripes going on!

Cheers Chally and good comments re the windows,...... good idea re the tracing paper,.... I was going to apply glue to the inside of mine to cloud it over,..... but then forgot until after I had fitted it,...... doh! Thats the thing when you go haring off and start modelling,..... I really should calm down and cover every base sometimes.

I`m going to go and have a look at your progress now,...... cannot wait to see it finished,..... thoe trainers were very colourful,

All the best mate

Tony       

• Like 1

Hiya Folks,...... well,..... after my dabble with Light Stone,...... here is the model with its stripes repainted yellow,...... using Humbrol Trainer Yellow;

DSCF8305.jpg

I`ll be applying the black stripes in between as per the original free hand,

Cheers for now,

Tony

• Like 12

13 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Doh!  Party foul, but good save on this one.  That's a nicely rendered cut-out in the fuselage to receive it, too.  It's really looking nice.

Cheers mate,....... yesterday was just a bad modelling day when everything you touch just seems to go wrong! I was very lucky with the cut out,..... but I should have realised much earlier! Glad I did as the stripes were almost twice the sie they should be!!

All the best

Tony 

• Like 2

Another update,...... got some black on the Suez stripes,...... might do another coat yet,..... but hopefully it i untidy enough without looking too obvious?

DSCF8307.jpg

DSCF8308.jpg

I still need to add tape over the door hinges etc and paint it silver to replicate the doped fabric which was applied to stop the static lines of the parachutes snagging, 

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 15

28 minutes ago, Dave Swindell said:

Make sure you use Izal for the genuine period MoD look!

Still available from Tesco: at least it was before the virus. :toilet:

Martian 👽

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, tonyot said:

I still need to add tape over the door hinges etc and paint it silver to replicate the doped fabric which was applied to stop the static lines of the parachutes snagging, 

Now that's a bit of detailed info that can only come from someone involved with such things.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, John_W said:

Still is, no one is that desperate...

I have to say it's pretty discomfiting to learn that Izal loo paper is still available.... 🧻 mind you, not as discomfiting as the days when this abrasive stuff was routinely found in school toilets and public conveniences. The "harsh" price of spending a penny away from home! :rofl:

• Haha 1

On 7/17/2020 at 5:22 PM, RichG said:

I have to say it's pretty discomfiting to learn that Izal loo paper is still available.... 🧻 mind you, not as discomfiting as the days when this abrasive stuff was routinely found in school toilets and public conveniences. The "harsh" price of spending a penny away from home! :rofl:

We used to get this stuff in Army ration packs and we used to wind up sprogs and cadets on how to use it properly `the Army way',.... fold it here, fold it there, rip here,.... etc,....anyway it ended up with the gullible victim getting their finger quite sticky!! Those of us with a bit of sense took a part used roll of nice soft bog roll, flattenned it down, stuck it in a sealable plastic bag and kept it in our smock pocket ready for any shovel recce!   

A good friend of mine went for a shovel recce in Kuwait during Gulf War 1 and while in the process of snapping one off he was approached by over 80 Iraqi soldiers,....... so he set off running back to the AFV 432 with his pants around his ankles to start ripping the plastic bag off the mounted GPMG,.....but as he was ripping said plastic they all stuck their hands up and surrendered to him!!

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Hiya Folks,

Having finished off the second Sunderland I gave the black Suez stripes another coat and then got down to sourcing the decals for the Valetta today, including some black walkway lines from the spares box,.... and yes I realised that I should have cut out the serial letters VW rather than VX for the undersides of the wings and I changed them in time! The photo top right actually shows the walkway lines in place and this photo was used as a reference;

DSCF8330.jpg

I also got on and finished painting the propellers,........ 

DSCF8331.jpg

So tonight the decals were put on, including the yellow cheat lines and I shall post some pics in the morning,

Cheers for now

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 12

Hiya Folks,....... decals on,..... and silver doped fabric around the para door replicated by silver painted tape;

DSCF8332.jpg

DSCF8333.jpg

DSCF8334.jpg

Cheers,

Tony

• Like 16

Tony, this is really magnificent.  I dare anyone out there to call this a "pig!"  What's the width of yellow stripe you used so I can file for reference?  You applied it nice and straight!  Can't wait to see the navigator's bubble go on.  That'll interrupt the lines a little bit and do much to hide the flatness of the forward fuselage roof.

Question: If I do this with the stripe running through the cabin windows, as opposed to over them, would you advise putting the decal stripe as one continuous decal over the window masks, then carefully cutting with a sharp blade after applying clear-coat and (obviously) before removing the masking?  What has worked for you in the past?

1 hour ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Tony, this is really magnificent.  I dare anyone out there to call this a "pig!"  What's the width of yellow stripe you used so I can file for reference?  You applied it nice and straight!  Can't wait to see the navigator's bubble go on.  That'll interrupt the lines a little bit and do much to hide the flatness of the forward fuselage roof.

Question: If I do this with the stripe running through the cabin windows, as opposed to over them, would you advise putting the decal stripe as one continuous decal over the window masks, then carefully cutting with a sharp blade after applying clear-coat and (obviously) before removing the masking?  What has worked for you in the past?

Cheers mate,....... I`m not sure of the size,... but it was number 5 on the Xtradecal sheet,.......they also do other colours such as red and blue too. I almost went for a narrower one,... but after checking out tons of pics I went for this one just by eye,..... fully expecting to be ripping it off later.... but I think it is OK? These are really handy sheets to have in stock. If I were you I would apply it in one full line, then cut it later around the windows after the decal has dried. 

Yeah the bubble will go on in good time,..... I`ve yet to add some varnish to seal the decals (which had a coat of gloss varnish applied to settle them into the model) and then add some weathering and a watercolour panel line wash.  

All the best

Tony

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, 71chally said:

Superb work there Tony, really turning out a treat!

Cheers Chally,...... glad to get the decals over with to be fair, I was worrying about the cheat line! 

• Like 1

Hiya Folks,

Well after seeing the model nice and clean with the decals on, the next photo might be a shock as I gave the model a water colour wash;

DSCF8336.jpg

This was then wiped away with damp kitchen towel, leaving some watercolour behind in the panel lines but unfortunately some slipped under some of the decals and I had to remove some of the yellow cheat line;

DSCF8338.jpg

And a closer view,...... but no worries because after I`d cut the affected parts out new strips of decal were added in their place;

DSCF8339.jpg

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 13

47 minutes ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Looking really good there with the weathering!  BTW: I now have the roundel blue Xtradecal stripes.  First use will be on an HS-125 CC3.

Cheers mate,..... glad you got the stripes OK,...... be careful not to get numbers 5 and 6 mixed up,.... they look identical until they are on the model but they are very slightly different sizes,... you can goess how I found out LOL!! 

Cheers,

Tony 

That does look good with the Suez stripes on! I'm busy fleshing out my Suez lineup; just yesterday I received an Ouragan. I haven't bought the Valetta yet, but it's just a matter of time.

Regards,

Jason

P.S. Just after posting this, I bought a Valetta. Now how about a Sea Venom, or maybe a Hunter...

Edited by Learstang
Additional comment added.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Learstang said:

That does look good with the Suez stripes on! I'm busy fleshing out my Suez lineup; just yesterday I received an Ouragan. I haven't bought the Valetta yet, but it's just a matter of time.

Regards,

Jason

P.S. Just after posting this, I bought a Valetta. Now how about a Sea Venom, or maybe a Hunter...

Thanks Jason,...... the thing is with Suez you can go on,....and on,....and on,.....Austers, Whirlwind`s, Sycamore`s, Shackleton`s, Meteor`s, Avenger`s, Sea Hawks etc,.... then the French stuff,....Israeli stuff,.... and Egyptian stuff,...... even the US 6TH Fleet got involved too! 

1 hour ago, bigbadbadge said:

Very nice indeed Tony, looking good, shame about the decal cheat lines though.

All the best

Chris

Cheers Chris,....ah not to worry,..... all sorted out now mate! 

• Like 2