1/72nd Valom Vickers Valetta C.1 ***FINISHED****

Hello Tony, 

Yes, I`ve read that book too. It`s a very good read.

Your Valetta is coming on brilliantly, I want one of these kits and want to do one from RAF Fayid. Hope someone does some aftermarket decals for this a/c. Hopefully Xtradecal or Air Graphics.

Best Wishes,

Steve.

12 hours ago, Learstang said:

Lovely - so the Noratlas did have the Suez stripes! Definitely on my list now. I suppose Heller is the only company that every produced a kit, at least in 1/72nd scale. Regarding the Hastings, who knows, maybe Vaclav Lomitzki (Mr. Valom) will grace us with one!

Regards,

Jason

Hi Jason.

Last September I was invited to attend the Battle of Britain Air Show in Jersey, Channel Islands by the local RAF, one of the aircraft taking part in the show was a Nord Noratlas which dropped a stick of parachutists on the beach at St Helier from very low level, it was amazing how slow the aircraft could fly as it overflew the sea front.  This is I think the last flying example in the world.   Robin.  

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Learstang said:

Lovely - so the Noratlas did have the Suez stripes! Definitely on my list now. I suppose Heller is the only company that every produced a kit, at least in 1/72nd scale. Regarding the Hastings, who knows, maybe Vaclav Lomitzki (Mr. Valom) will grace us with one!

Regards,

Jason

Hiya Jason, yeah the old Heller kit,..... but it is a lovely kit. 

Here is a nicely built model;

https://modelpaintsol.com/reviews/aircraft-armor-suez-canal-crisis/attachment/scs-noratlas-1

And here is a period photo;

https://www.chemin-de-memoire-parachutistes.org/t1399-noratlas-pour-suez

As for the Hastings,..... wouldn`t it be nice is Mr. Valom did the decent thing eh? If the Valetta series sell well you never know!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Rafdec said:

Hello Tony, 

Yes, I`ve read that book too. It`s a very good read.

Your Valetta is coming on brilliantly, I want one of these kits and want to do one from RAF Fayid. Hope someone does some aftermarket decals for this a/c. Hopefully Xtradecal or Air Graphics.

Best Wishes,

Steve.

Thanks Steve,..... I have asked Colin at Freightdog about adding a Valetta or two to a forthcoming sheet and provided some photos for reference,..... he said he would consider it,... so we`ll see, but he does`nt normally like transports! 

Hope you enjoy your kit,..... have a look on e bay because you can save over a tenner if you find the right seller,..... and at least Xtradecal have the codes and serils decls which also include titles, plus the roundels sheets as you will need to replace those in the kit.

Cheers

Tony 

4 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Looking great with some paint laid on Tony. Great work.

All the best

Chris

Cheers Chris,..... yeah we are slowly getting their mate!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

She looks suhwheeet!!!  Looking forward to doing mine.  You're part of the "pathfinder platoon" in this group (2nd Para?) and blazing a nice trail for the rest of us to follow.  

LOL,....  Pathfinder,..... I know my place and could never put myself in the same league as those blokes! I don`t mind being lead scout on this project,..... although the point man is always the first to get shot! 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, tonyot said:

Hiya Jason, yeah the old Heller kit,..... but it is a lovely kit. 

Here is a nicely built model;

https://modelpaintsol.com/reviews/aircraft-armor-suez-canal-crisis/attachment/scs-noratlas-1

And here is a period photo;

https://www.chemin-de-memoire-parachutistes.org/t1399-noratlas-pour-suez

As for the Hastings,..... wouldn`t it be nice is Mr. Valom did the decent thing eh? If the Valetta series sell well you never know!

Cheers

Tony

That does look nice! Rather more dainty-looking than the C-82/C-119 Packet/Flying Boxcar despite the similar configuration. Re the Valetta, Mr. Lomitzki can look forward to a couple of sales to me in the near future, I suspect (one for Aden, and one for Suez). Perhaps I can send him a nice e-mail suggesting how many Hastings he could sell - it certainly would be up his alley, seeing how many other British transports he's done such as the Bombay, the Albermarle, the Albatross (Albatross, Get Your Albatross! - sorry, couldn't resist), and our friend the Valetta. Personally I think there's a market for one. And that one would be for me!

Best Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang
  • Like 1

Sorry for the digression: I have the Heller Noratlas kit, and did finishing touches on one for a friend many years ago.  I also have built a couple iterations of the hulking Italeri/Testors C-119, and can attest that the Noratlas is an extremely dainty aircraft.  The Heller product is also a more difficult kit to do well in comparison to the Italeri/Testors Box Car, and requires much work to make look right, particularly with the cockpit section; the lower front windscreen windows are much too short, and must be raised.  You'll need to use metal tube inside the wings to maintain dihedral, too.  It does, however, have an interior, and you could pose it with the clamshell doors open or removed entirely, depending on the load.

Regarding a Hastings, wouldn't this be about the size of a C-54?  If so, then we're talking about a kit of far greater tooling complexity and injection mold size.  Just getting the fit roughly right on something that big would be a challenge.  Depending on the size of Valom's injection molding machine, it might require dividing the fuselage into forward and aft sections.  Valom might take up the challenge, but it would be a big leap, I think.  Just my $.02.  

Back to the lovely Valetta...

• Like 2

I really hope that if sales of the Valetta are good enough that Valom will consider a Varsity and maybe even a Hastings.  They have already given us some British transports that we wouldn't have expected, such as the Twin Pioneer, Harrow and Bombay.

Of course, the Noratlas and and the Valetta have something in common, their Bristol Hercules engines.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Learstang said:

That does look nice! Rather more dainty-looking than the C-82/C-119 Packet/Flying Boxcar despite the similar configuration. Re the Valetta, Mr. Lomitzki can look forward to a couple of sales to me in the near future, I suspect (one for Aden, and one for Suez). Perhaps I can send him a nice e-mail suggesting how many Hastings he could sell - it certainly would be up his alley, seeing how many other British transports he's done such as the Bombay, the Albermarle, the Albatross (Albatross, Get Your Albatross! - sorry, couldn't resist), and our friend the Valetta. Personally I think there's a market for one. And that one would be for me!

Best Regards,

Jason

You could put me down for three or four Hastings,...... a Suez aircraft with Jeeps of course,....... a Coastal Command Met Recce aircraft, possibly with radar in the nose, a Berlin Airlift one in early colours plus either a later transport or one of the `1066 Sqn' Cod War warriors. If it was kept below £50 I think that it would sell extremely well.

Good luck with your Valetta,...... maybe I should be on a retainer from Valom eh,...LOL!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Sorry for the digression: I have the Heller Noratlas kit, and did finishing touches on one for a friend many years ago.  I also have built a couple iterations of the hulking Italeri/Testors C-119, and can attest that the Noratlas is an extremely dainty aircraft.  The Heller product is also a more difficult kit to do well in comparison to the Italeri/Testors Box Car, and requires much work to make look right, particularly with the cockpit section; the lower front windscreen windows are much too short, and must be raised.  You'll need to use metal tube inside the wings to maintain dihedral, too.  It does, however, have an interior, and you could pose it with the clamshell doors open or removed entirely, depending on the load.

Regarding a Hastings, wouldn't this be about the size of a C-54?  If so, then we're talking about a kit of far greater tooling complexity and injection mold size.  Just getting the fit roughly right on something that big would be a challenge.  Depending on the size of Valom's injection molding machine, it might require dividing the fuselage into forward and aft sections.  Valom might take up the challenge, but it would be a big leap, I think.  Just my $.02.  

The Hastings is approx Halifax sized Indeed it is basically a transport variant of the Halifax really, like the York was for the Lanc!),..... but I was thinking exactly the same,.... would Valom have to do major retooling size wise? 

I`ve built the Heller Noratlas and agree,.... it is dainty compared to the C-119,..... with very good interior detail. 

Cheers

Tony

2 hours ago, 71chally said:

I really hope that if sales of the Valetta are good enough that Valom will consider a Varsity and maybe even a Hastings.  They have already given us some British transports that we wouldn't have expected, such as the Twin Pioneer, Harrow and Bombay.

Of course, the Noratlas and and the Valetta have something in common, their Bristol Hercules engines.

Agreed,.... and agreed!!  

• Like 2

On 7/10/2020 at 10:11 PM, Robin said:

How did you manage to fit the windows, I tried, but found that the glass is smaller than the opening,

Surprised you had problems with fitting the windows, Robin. I went to fit them on mine today, expecting similar problems... but much to my surprise actually found the windows were a perfect push fit. So much so that I'm now wondering if I need any adhesive at all as they they are pretty tight and perfectly aligned with the surface of the fuselage and perfectly clear. I just wonder  as they have a frame moulded on them if a coat of primer / paint will be sufficient to keep them in place.

A bit of a mystery... but a great kit!

Rich 

PS put me down for a Hasings, Mr Valom - if you fancy doing one. I'll take 2 if its as nice as this Valetta.   

Edited by RichG
  • Like 2

Hi Rich.

Thank you for your reply, afraid I havn't  been back to the model since I messaged.  I had only tried one of the windows, - this was on the rear starboard side, as I didn't want loose glass floating around for the carpet monster.  I have now had another try, and find that the other windows are as you said, and fit perfectly, the question is what will be the best way to secure them.  Thank again.

Robin.    

Noted your avatar.

When were you in the RAF, I was one of the last few National Servicemen to enter the RAF in October 1960.  As I had just finished an apprenticeship, I just did the 2 years, really enjoyed the life. 

Edited by Robin

Hiya Folks,..... the latest update,..... I`ve masked off the upper fuselage and started to apply the White `lid'

DSCF8283-NEW.jpg

I`m using Humbrol s an undercoat and will finish off with Tamiya Glossy White

Cheers

Tony

• Like 11

You're a machine, Tony!  This is looking great, and I'm eager to see the "great unveiling."  Just got my greedy hands on the Scale Aircraft Modeling 1995 issue featuring this and the Varsity, and I can see where you're going with it, based on the beautiful color profiles in the article.  Alex

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

You're a machine, Tony!  This is looking great, and I'm eager to see the "great unveiling."  Just got my greedy hands on the Scale Aircraft Modeling 1995 issue featuring this and the Varsity, and I can see where you're going with it, based on the beautiful color profiles in the article.  Alex

Cheers mate,...... note how they got the Suez stripes the wrong way around in the side view drawing in that issue! I couldn`t find mine so I bought one from e bay myself.  

On 7/11/2020 at 7:12 PM, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Quite agree and on that note I think a Hastings in 1/144th would be better due to the tooling price, cost of any subsequent kit and size. Maybe we should lobby Micro Mir, who have already made Argosies and Beverleys for us in 1/144? 

1 hour ago, AMB said:

Quite agree and on that note I think a Hastings in 1/144th would be better due to the tooling price, cost of any subsequent kit and size. Maybe we should lobby Micro Mir, who have already made Argosies and Beverleys for us in 1/144? 

Its been on the cards for a few years now... but still waiting for news of the plastic. It was to follow the Argosy.

Rich

• Like 1

Hiya Folks,

Here is another update,..... masking removed,..... next job to dig out the Xtracolor RAF Light Stone enamel and to start painting the Suez stripes. On Cyprus yellow paint was at  premium with aircraft having yellow and black stripes applied and many aircraft made use of the local vehicle paint instead,..... the `yellow' colour on many of the Valetta`s appears to be darker than usual and indeed on 84 Sqn aircraft darker than the yellow cheat line. That is the plan so far anyway,......I`ll do a little more research before I apply paint;

DSCF8290-NEW.jpg

DSCF8291-NEW.jpg

Cheers

Tony

• Like 12

Looking great Tony, this is the first one that I have seen get to this stage, and it has to be said that they've caught the lines of the aircraft really well.

Really nice paint work👍

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, 71chally said:

Looking great Tony, this is the first one that I have seen get to this stage, and it has to be said that they've caught the lines of the aircraft really well.

Really nice paint work👍

Thanks Chally,...... yeah it is a hard aircraft to get right, especially around the nose,.... but it looks the business to me,..... some are saying the fin is too short,..... but I can live with that.

Cheers mate

Tony 

• Like 1

Hiya Folks,.... another update,........... while measuring the stripes up I realised that I had to add another window,...... so this was carefully cut out;

DSCF8292.jpg

Then I started to apply the masking for the stripes,..... I didn`t make it too accurate as they appear quite rough on the real thing;

DSCF8294.jpg

DSCF8295.jpg

Then I applied Xtracolor enamel Light Stone,...... with some rough black stripes added on top of the masking to see what the finished stripes would look like,.... and to be honest,..... I thought the Light Stone would look more yellowy,....... so I might just repaint them yellow instead?

DSCF8296.jpg

DSCF8304.jpg

Cheers

Tony

• Like 8

2 hours ago, tonyot said:

I realised that I had to add another window

Doh!  Party foul, but good save on this one.  That's a nicely rendered cut-out in the fuselage to receive it, too.  It's really looking nice.

• Haha 1

Great progress, yes there should be ten windows on the starboard side,

don't know why Valom provided the outline without cutting out the ninth window. Fortunately they provide 16 windows in the transparencies!

Cheers, Paul

PS the rearmost, tenth window is semi opaque on the real aircraft, presumably for the toilet

• Like 4

19 hours ago, tonyot said:

some are saying the fin is too short,..... but I can live with that.

I would say they're wrong, I've held my fuselage halves to some scaled side on photos (good ones on BAE site), and when you get the fuselage length and depth scaled right the fin is a perfect match dimensionally, even to the extent that my removed rudder fits the pictures perfectly.

I found s slight issue with fin leading edge sweep back but that could be due to perspective distortion in the pictures, certainly doesn't seem off on the kit.

Re the stb'd cabin windows, they vary a bit between the various types and believe it's to do with if the galley is fitted or not (no window, galley fitted), C.2s did for example.

They should point out in the instructions to open up that last one for most Valettas though.

On the stb'd fuselage half there is a narrow upper window to cut out, this is for Vikings/Valettas with a galley.

There are some Valettas that have the mid stb'd window blanked over, possibly just T.4s, but definitely worth checking photo references if you can.

The very rear window I'm going to lay tracing paper over to give that bathroom window look!

Cracking work Tony, really coming alive with the stripes going on!

• Like 1