Gulf War GB Chat

gosh or Dear Leader has gone power crazy.......or does he just have a stack of models in the stash suitable for thus theme he needs to clear out!!! :D

Either way count me in......I have another Tamiya F-14 just waiting to be built.......or maybe a surprise!! :wicked:

ok off to update the Holy Spreadsheet of Order. 

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...

I've been considering my entries for this one.  Probably all aircraft

Buccaneer S2B

F-15E   Currently considering whether to do a SCUD hunter or a tank plinker

F/A-18    Again considering either a USMC aircraft or a Canadian CF-188

French Mirage F1   I really want to build one with that huuuuuge belly tank.

I should really have an opponent in there.  Maybe an Iraqi Super Etendard or Mirage F1.

21 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

I should really have an opponent in there.  Maybe an Iraqi Super Etendard or Mirage F1.

The Super Etendards had gone back to France by the time of the conflict being replaced by more Mirage F1s that could carry the Exocet missile.

• Thanks 1

On 23/08/2020 at 16:00, Jabba said:

The Super Etendards had gone back to France by the time of the conflict being replaced by more Mirage F1s that could carry the Exocet missile.

Well, that one is out of the window then.  Maybe a Mig of some description. 

I should probably go paw through my decals and see what I already have that is eligible.  I'm pretty sure my EF-111 is good to go (MO or UH...I forget).  The 1/72 Jag or Tornado (GW1 boxings) are good for a backup plan.  But I'm really curious what I have for USN decals.  I've already got the list made of the air wings/squadrons that deployed...just need to check my decals for squadron/tail code/modex/carrier alignment w/ the time frame.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, helios16v said:

I should probably go paw through my decals and see what I already have that is eligible.  I'm pretty sure my EF-111 is good to go (MO or UH...I forget).  The 1/72 Jag or Tornado (GW1 boxings) are good for a backup plan.  But I'm really curious what I have for USN decals.  I've already got the list made of the air wings/squadrons that deployed...just need to check my decals for squadron/tail code/modex/carrier alignment w/ the time frame.

A good place to look is here:- https://www.dstorm.eu/pages/en/usa/usa.html

• Thanks 1

On 8/22/2020 at 5:58 PM, Enzo Matrix said:

I've been considering my entries for this one.  Probably all aircraft

Buccaneer S2B

F-15E   Currently considering whether to do a SCUD hunter or a tank plinker

French Mirage F1   I really want to build one with that huuuuuge belly tank.

There’s a guy who knocks about on these forums from time to time who would gently encourage you to build them all....so keep your voice down, if he gets wind of this...

• Haha 4

On 22/08/2020 at 17:58, Enzo Matrix said:

Decision made.  The Air Graphics decal sheet has a scheme for a CF-118A which was on CAP when it spotted an enemy naval vessel.  Having no air to ground ordnance, the crew strafed the vessel and then disabled it with a Sparrow missile!!!   The vessel was later sunk by USN A-6s, but the Candian Hornet thereafter carried a ship kill marking. 

• Like 2

Awesome, was looking forwards to Desert Storm GB. Good to see it's coming sooner rather than later :)

At the moment my choice would be 1:72 Academy F-117. 

BTW are there any decent 1:72 F-4G kits in the market currently?

2 hours ago, reini said:

BTW are there any decent 1:72 F-4G kits in the market currently?

If you can find a Hasegawa one then yes, but only if. Italeri did make one but that was a long time ago.

• Thanks 1

I'd like to participate. Probably an F-16, Bullseye Model Aviation have a decal sheet due out which covers most of the USAF F-16's flown during combat operations. A US Navy A-6E would be another possibility.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/24/2020 at 7:29 PM, Jabba said:

A good place to look is here:- https://www.dstorm.eu/pages/en/usa/usa.html

Yeay thanks!   According to that link, my Lee E-2C Hawkeye  162797  AB602, with VAW-123 Screwtops of USS America, is credited with 4 missions   -  I'm in.

Edited:   Checked  - and that is what's in the box, despite the misleading boxart.

Lee-Hawkeye.jpg

Gotta say that I was really struggling to find something eligable from my stash - none of my Intruders, Eagles, or AV-8Bs qualify.

On 6/17/2020 at 8:11 PM, Jabba said:

I think that the main rule would be if it took part in the actual war, and the invasion that caused the war, it can be made.

Surely you’ve got that covered, I’ve seen your impressive displays at shows😙

I think that the main rule would be if it took part in the actual war, and the invasion that caused the war, it can be made.

9 hours ago, speedy said:

Are but I am sure that there are still a lot missing.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Bbdave said:

I have a Hobby boss 1/48 a10 I could use if I can find appropriate decals and a pilot.

Dave

https://www.reidairpublishing.com/decals/war-weary-warthogs 

https://www.reidairpublishing.com/decals/heavenly-hogs-part-i-hogs-in-reserve

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/QAB480175?result-token=87rhw  This is for the F-16 but both the F-16 and A-10 use the same ACES II seat.

Edited by Stephen
  • Thanks 1