Gulf War GB Chat

OK, I know I said I probably wasn't going to try another GB but the idea of cranking out an F-15E or some manner of F-16 for this was appealing to me.

Plus unlike the BoB build at least this time I won't have to rush after coming in late and end up burning out that way.

UPDATE: Well that lasted right up until I ran into the relative drought of era-appropriate decals for a 1/48 Strike Eagle. Like there's plenty of OEF and later ones, but none for the Desert Storm mudhens. Will need to do some more digging and see if I can come up with ideas.

Edited by PinkThorn242

20 hours ago, PinkThorn242 said:

UPDATE: Well that lasted right up until I ran into the relative drought of era-appropriate decals for a 1/48 Strike Eagle. Like there's plenty of OEF and later ones, but none for the Desert Storm mudhens. Will need to do some more digging and see if I can come up with ideas.

There were only a couple of decal sheets for the F-15E and these are very old and probably not available. Sorry that I could noy be of more help.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jabba said:

There were only a couple of decal sheets for the F-15E and these are very old and probably not available. Sorry that I could noy be of more help.

That's OK. Right now I'm mulling between trying that Italeri Tornado set despite the relative lack of aftermarket stuff for it or trying to track down a Kinetic Hornet. 

1 hour ago, albymoore said:

I'm itching to build another 1/48th scale Monogram AH-1F Cobra, so count me in. 😀  

What I have in mind for the paint scheme and marking...

https://www.airliners.net/photo/USA-Army/Bell-AH-1F-Cobra-209/227159

You're most welcome to join in, Albert.  Especially with something that looks as cool as that! :thumbsup: 

• Like 1

Anybody got any info on F-15E units that were involved in this conflict - my kit  is a Hasegawa one issued in 1988 and the markings are for the first one made and one with the 405 TTW tail code LA, both in gunship grey. At that point I guess it would be another year before it actually reached service squadrons.

Pete

Edited by PeterB

1 hour ago, PeterB said:

Anybody got any info on F-15E units that were involved in this conflict - my kit  is a Hasegawa one issued in 1988 and the markings are for the first one made and one with the 405 TTW tail code LA, both in gunship grey. At that point I guess it would be another year before it actually reached service squadrons.

Pete

Hi Pete,

Here is a list https://www.dstorm.eu/pages/en/usa/f-15.html

• Like 1

Knowing very little about this conflict make for lots of questions.  I have a Hobby Boss Jaguar A, French service...

Which on elf these profiles would be correct for the Gulf?

50843334623_cac6c56e93_k_d.jpg

or this?

50844145847_68e9de2d62_k_d.jpg

Or both?

--John

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, John Masters said:

Knowing very little about this conflict make for lots of questions.  I have a Hobby Boss Jaguar A, French service...

Which on elf these profiles would be correct for the Gulf?

50843334623_cac6c56e93_k_d.jpg

or this?

50844145847_68e9de2d62_k_d.jpg

Or both?

--John

Does this help John ? 

https://www.dstorm.eu/pages/en/france/jaguar.html

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Does this help John ? 

Yes, thanks.  It shows that neither of the profiled Jags were there...😭

Jura didn't send 11-YC. YG, N, D, K...no C.  And, in any case, the tail serials don't match either.  I might sit this one out.

• Sad 2

18 hours ago, PeterB said:

Pete

The F-15E's deployed to Saudi Arabia came from the 4th Tactical Fighter Wing at Seymour-Johnson AFB (SJ tailcode). The wing was in the process of converting from the F-4E to the F-15E when Iraq invaded Kuwait and only two of the three squadrons had completed conversion. These were the 336th TFS (Rocketeers, Yellow fin flash)and the 335th TFS (Chiefs, Green fin flash). The 336th deployed first and then later the 335th. Initial deployment was to Thumrait in Oman and then to Al Kharj in Saudi Arabia. 

. All aircraft had the LANTIRN navigation pods .The F-15E was so new in service that there were not enough LANTIRN targeting pods for both squadrons .  This limited weapon options to buddy lasing when using laser guided bombs. As full weapon clearance hadn't been completed so the aircraft were only cleared for the 500lb Mk82 bombs , Mk84 2000lb bombs and Mk20, SUU-30 cluster bombs. 

You didn't mention if your kit is 1/48 or 1/72 but the kits issued in 1988 didn't have the correct pylons mounted on the conformal fuel tanks as they were based around the F-15E demonstrator. In 1/48 Hasegawa reissued the kit in 2005 with the appropriate pylons, I'm not sure about 1/72.  

For a good reference on F-15E operations during Desert Storm  read William Smallwood's book Strike Eagle

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Strike-Eagle-Flying-F-15E-Warriors/dp/1574888854/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=William+Smallwood&qid=1610896895&sr=8-2

• Thanks 2

Thanks Stephen,

It's the original Hasegawa 1/72 kit so the pylons will be wrong I guess. No matter as I doubt it will get built just now. Incidentally, my memory is not what it used to be but I seem to recall that during the war I was driving up the M5 from Bridgewater, and as I passed the end of the runway at Filton a B-52 flew low over me - I thought at the time it was taking off but Wiki only mentions them at Fairford so perhaps it was a low pass. Can't remember the date but I know I had just heard that there were some either based in the UK or staging through. Can anybody shed any light on this? 

Pete

Edited by PeterB

On 1/10/2021 at 10:40 AM, PinkThorn242 said:

OK, I know I said I probably wasn't going to try another GB but the idea of cranking out an F-15E or some manner of F-16 for this was appealing to me.

Plus unlike the BoB build at least this time I won't have to rush after coming in late and end up burning out that way.

Aside from a couple of sheets from Replicscale and Superscale which were produced when the F-15E entered service and could have the markings used (modified)  for Desert Storm aircraft I don't know of any aftermarket sheets for the Strike Eagle during Desert Storm. The Revell-Monogram 1/48 F-15E included an option for a 335TFS F-15E which scored an air to air kill on a helicopter during a mission but those are the only options I can think of.

9 hours ago, John Masters said:

Yes, thanks.  It shows that neither of the profiled Jags were there...😭

Jura didn't send 11-YC. YG, N, D, K...no C.  And, in any case, the tail serials don't match either.  I might sit this one out.

Sorry I was trying to help and Ive gone and ruined it for you. 

4 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Sorry I was trying to help and Ive gone and ruined it for you. 

haha!  Not at all...Merely cleared up my confusion!  I'll figure a way out , not to worry.  I still have a Warthog...😉😁

I'll see if I can scavenge and utilize other decals to make it work.

• Like 2

So early in the year and already I feel like I've overcommitted on Group Builds.... but I should be along sooner or later with a Jaguar and/or a Fishbed.

• Like 2

Woah, what a learning experience this day alone has been, as I know I've only scratched the surface on the massive amount of information there is about the modern/-ish (look, it's already 30 years ago) era of military aircraft modelling. And I've only searched for information about how the F-15C paint scheme differed in -91 from the Mod Eagle scheme my kit instructions depict...

• Like 1