Gulf War GB Chat

1 hour ago, Jakub Cikhart said:

You were working on Nimrods ? Any chance you have knowledge/pics of their "towed radar decoy" which was supposedly installed/used during Gulf war ?

Sorry Jakub, I was working in air ops, planning etc. so I have nothing on that. Apparently it was installed in the top tail fairing but that is all I know.

13 hours ago, trickyrich said:

ok I'm now at a bit of a loss what to build for this one having checked the rules (????? :whistle:).

I've been trying to figure out the dates as it now looks like my current planned build is now ineligible, VF-31 F-14A's were only part of the following Southern Watch, which started 1992.

There seems to be some variation in Wiki (no surprise) over these dates or is it how the services decided when Desert Storm started?

Wiki lists USN Op's for Desert Storm were Oct90 to Apr91, with Carriers:

USS Midway  - 02Oct90 - 17Apr91

USS Saratoga - 07Aug90 -28Mar91

USS Ranger - 08Dec90 - 08Jun91

USS America - 28Dec90 - 18Apr91

USS John F. Kennedy - 15Aug90 - 28Mar91

USS Theodore Roosevelt - 28Dec90 - 28Jun91

But go to Wiki just for the Desert Storm Op and it only listed the date 17Jan90 to 28Feb91......so those are the dates I take it were working too? 

My wee planned tank, well someone else is building the exact same model and my stash actually doesn't have any other suitable builds.......plus now that the ANZAC GB is on at the same time and I can't NOT build in that one. Then I may sit this one out...for the moment.

Operation Desert Storm commenced 17th January 1991 and ended 28 February 1991. The above dates for the carriers are their deployment dates. 

On 12/4/2020 at 6:18 PM, rafalbert said:

Sorry Jakub, I was working in air ops, planning etc. so I have nothing on that. Apparently it was installed in the top tail fairing but that is all I know.

No problem, thanks anyway !!! Looks like the TRD is a bit of a mystery ....

• 2 weeks later...

I might be adding an Iraqi MiG-21 to my Jaguar. @JWM kindly sent me some Fishbed decals, but the Heller kit I have in the stash is for the C variant whereas the Iraqis flew the quite different MF. Fortunately there is nothing inscribed in law that says I cannot build kits other than Heller, so I may go with a KP kit.

• Haha 2

On 11/19/2020 at 10:23 PM, Ernie said:

I'm in, this was delivered today. Really looking forward to building a decent Sheridan.

50622225671_bf43548fe1_b.jpg

I did not know that these were in Gulf War I. Had I known I might have been tempted in 1/72 scale. However I'm going for this:

201204a Box and Decals

I have found a photo online (i.e. for free!) of this particular tank (Royal Scots Dragoons) to help with the weathering.

Looking forward to this: strictly OOTB (honest,) so as to finish on time (really!)

Alan

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in on this one. I've got the Kittyhawk 1/32 OV-10D Bronco with lots of extras so it will give me the opportunity to get stuck into it. Will have to look at decal options. Two of the kit options are potentially from Desert Storm but I've also got the Caracal sheet which has at least one DS option.

• Like 2

Last year I was hoping to enter the Buccaneer GB, but had to give it a miss for a number of reasons. One of the kits I was thinking of building was the new Airfix version, but I was also hoping to do the prfevious release with a few modifications, including a Freightdog improvement set and grafting on the intakes from a spare Matchbox kit as shown in an article in a 2000 edition of Scale Aircraft Modelling International. I had not intended to do a Gulf War version, but as the Matchbox kit has the decs, perhaps I might enter the 2nd mould Airfix/Matchbox one in this GB. We will see if I have time.

Cheers

Pete

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Stephen said:

The February Combat Aircraft magazine has a good few Desert Storm articles in it.

Was just reading through that Stephen. A good article on one of my entries!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dansk said:

I’m on for this GB with this little fella with the kit’s gulf markings🤗

That is if it escapes the UK and comes into the EU without too much import/export hassle! 🤞

spacer.png

Hope you get your kit in time Paul!

For inspiration, a couple of A-10 photos I snapped at the 2019 Dubai Airshow. Seems like a little more training on catching the air-to-air refueling hose might be a good idea 😁

a713fe38ef7df888f086bb5f09d692f1.jpg

37f98622c797bda807d87d63b957ff75.jpg

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, desert falcon said:

Hope you get your kit in time Paul!

For inspiration, a couple of A-10 photos I snapped at the 2019 Dubai Airshow. Seems like a little more training on catching the air-to-air refueling hose might be a good idea 😁

37f98622c797bda807d87d63b957ff75.jpg

Thanks mate 👍

i thought those things were supposed to be super tough? They (i thought) could survive losing an engine  and a rear wing and an outer main wing etc and still be fine.

Love them in grey but I’m going for the camo finish of The kit’s ‘Chopper Popper’ scheme: It scored the A-10’s first air-to-air kill against an Iraqi helicopter in the gulf war.

a little copy and paste gulf war a-10 stats:

The A-10 was used in combat for the first time during the Gulf War:

Iraq Assets Destroyed by A-10's

987 tanks destroyed

2 Helicopters (air-to-air aircraft) kills with the GAU-8A 30mm Avenger cannon: 6 February 1991 by Capt. Bob Swain in 77-0205 of the 706th Tactical Fighter Squadron, 926th Tactical Fighter Group "Cajuns" from New Orleans Louisiana and the second by Capt Todd "Shanghai" Sheehy in 81-0964 with the 511th TFS "Vultures" out of RAF Alcombury United Kingdom.

501 Armor Personnel Carriers (APC) destroyed

249 Command Posts (CP) destroyed

11 Frog missile launchers destroyed

281 Military structures destroyed

96 Radar installations destroyed

72 Bunkers destroyed

9 SAM sites destroyed

8 Fuel tanks destroyed

2,000 other military vehicles

1,306 trucks

53 SCUD missiles and launchers

10 aircraft on the ground destroyed

Suppressed enemy air defenses

Attacked early warning radars

quite a hero!

Edited by Dansk
  • Like 1

I have SEPECAT Jaguar E from Hobby Boss in 1/72nd.  It looks like the French used them during this time but would my aircraft kit be included in this roster?

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/hobbyboss-87259-jaguar-e--254021#

I also have Robert Swain's Warthog from Saudi Arabia in 1991.  I think this one is ok.

--John

24 minutes ago, John Masters said:

I have SEPECAT Jaguar E from Hobby Boss in 1/72nd.  It looks like the French used them during this time but would my aircraft kit be included in this roster?

As far as I am aware, all the French Jaguars deployed to Op Daguet were of the single seat A model.

21 hours ago, desert falcon said:

Wow ... Id hate to be the pilot, wait till his Chief sees that nose ! 

Hi,

Apart from the 1/144 Victor and a likely 1/72 Tornado, I'd also like to build a 1/48 F-16.

I could build other F-16's, but I'm rather keen to finish this Hasegawa F-16A started many years ago.

Is it still under the 25 % rule?

JQcT7vQ.jpg

Cheers, Stefan.

• Like 1

On 07/01/2021 at 12:18, Stephen said:

The February Combat Aircraft magazine has a good few Desert Storm articles in it.

Got this myself today and there really are some very interesting articles.

7 hours ago, Stefan Buysse said:

I could build other F-16's, but I'm rather keen to finish this Hasegawa F-16A started many years ago.

Is it still under the 25 % rule?

That is way under 25%.  It's in!  :thumbsup: 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Enzo Matrix said:

That is way under 25%.  It's in!  :thumbsup: 

Thanks, Enzo.

She'll be in the markings of the South Carolina ANG, decals from the new Bullseye Decals sheet.

Depending on how it all goes, I may enter more F-16 builds from that sheet in the GB.

Cheers, Stefan. 

• Like 1