Gulf War GB Chat

I'm surprised no one has yet suggested this subject.

Next year will be the 30th anniversary of the major combat phase of the Gulf War.  Known as Operation Desert Storm by the US, it went by other names:  Op Granby in the UK;    Op Daguet by France; Op Friction in Canada; Op Damask in Australia.  There were lots of other names as well.

Desert Storm was, in my opinion, the start of modern precision warfare as we know it.  I feel it should be commemorated with a groupbuild.

When Mike gave me the role of Group Build Moderator, he told me that I was like He-Man.   I thought he meant I had to wear a silly haircut and a leather harness thingy wot was bound to chafe.  Thankfully no.  He meant that I have the POWER !!!!

Well, that power had obviously gone to my head. :)   Because I feel the subject is so important I am going to add it into the mix as a fixture for 2021, bypassing the annual bunfight.

We can discuss rules in this thread.  The GB will commence on 17 January 2021.    The end date is 16 May 2021.  The end date has no historical significance.  I just didn't want a GB that would last for 42 days.

I am happy to act as host but I would appreciate a co-host.

Any suggestions for the rules? 

• Like 11

12 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Any suggestions for the rules? 

I was thinking of suggesting this for a GB as @modelling minion asked me too, just trying to figure out how to word it.

Only equipment that participated during the dates of the war. Some US aircraft carriers were there for Desert Shield (as the Americans called it)  but were not there for the actual war, being replaced by another carrier. Also RAF Tornado F3s were rotated about due to their MOD state.

Count me in for this one.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jabba said:

Only equipment that participated during the dates of the war. Some US aircraft carriers were there for Desert Shield (as the Americans called it) but were not there for the actual war, being replaced by another carrier.

How about we modify that to "Only coalition equipment that participated during the dates of the war".

That way we can include Iraqi and Kuwaiti equipment that saw combat in the initial invasion.  Maybe a Kuwaiti Chieftain.

Count me in.

As @Jabba is curator of the IPMS Gulf War SIG, he's a very valuable person to have as a consultant (if you know what I mean :whistle:).

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

How about we modify that to "Only coalition equipment that participated during the dates of the war".

That way we can include Iraqi and Kuwaiti equipment that saw combat in the initial invasion.  Maybe a Kuwaiti Chieftain.

Certainly, there are the pictures of the Kuwaiti Saladins vainly firing at the Iraqi tanks defending the Royal Palace. Don't forget that the Kuwaitis did fly operational combat flights during the conflict.

• Like 1

I can build a Victor K2, they were involved in the gulf until retirement in 1993. I'm in.

In fact I'm working on one now, but you know what's better than one Victor K2? Two Victor K2s. 

Edited by Adam Poultney
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

Count me in What about the civilian crews that came in to clean up Husseins scorched earth oil field fires ? Would Civilian equipment be allowed ? I think Red Adair deserves his due for cleaning that mess up way quicker than it was ever thought possible. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Adair

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

6 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Erm... I may have just read this thread and then immediately ordered a 1/48 Tornado to build for this GB....

Dan 

If you want to build it sooner there is a Tornado single type build coming up in the fall. If not I think that would be a great option for this build as well. 

• Like 1

Just now, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

If you want to build it sooner there is a Tornado single type build coming up in the fall. If not I think that would be a great option for this build as well. 

That’s a good call....

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

I forgot to mention that Iraqi forces that were in the theatre of operation during the war (not just the invasion) should also be included, as some of them put up a bit of a fight (battle of khafji etc) before being deployed elsewhere.

• Like 1

Hi,

Good call, Enzo.

I was hoping that there was going to be a GB for this somewhere.

My entry will most likely be the new Airfix 1/72 scale RAF Buccaneer. If that one doesn't get released by then, I'll switch to a GWH 1/144 scale Victor K2.

Cheers, Stefan.

• Like 1

I'd be interested, I like representing the more modern conflicts.

I've got a Brengun resin and brass T62 that would suit Iraqi colours. Maybe some whitemetal Warriors from Arrowhead for British forces too...🤔

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...