Gulf War GB Chat

7 minutes ago, Stephen said:

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/QAB480175?result-token=87rhw  This is for the F-16 but both the F-16 and A-10 use the same ACES II seat.

F-16 seats are further reclined, and may have issues w/ fitment due to bulkhead angle.  An F-15 seat is close, but some of the handles are in different locations.  Most wouldn't know the difference there though.  Legend does some resin A-10 seats, though they weren't the greatest of quality.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Oooh I'm up for this - always nice to build some British armour (wifey getting worried by the number of Panzers taking over :) )

I've also got a Tornado kit that I was meaning to do in the GB but haven't got around to, so a 2nd chance to get it done started would be good.

• Like 1

oh dear, I just realised I put my hand up for this (was checking the Holy Spreadsheet)......I really have to learn some proper self-control ......... someday!

I was going with the idea of a F-14A, again part of my VF-31 SIG build, but there's also the F-14 STGB later.......so I may leave one of them for that (have A & D models).

So what to build now....I'll soon have a M551 and M1A2 SEP in my hot sticky hands (but dam the Abrams is the later model.....does this mean I have to buy a M1A1 as well? :D)......

........guess I could go with an A-10......or maybe an Apache chopper to satisfy my current chopper addiction..........or I could just build the F-14 as planned....... or maybe I should think of something else........or maybe.......  :frantic:

Dam you Enzo for coming up with good ideas!!!!  :rant:   ......and me for having no willpower! :D

• Haha 1

On 11/6/2020 at 10:18 PM, trickyrich said:

Dam you Enzo for coming up with good ideas!!!!  :rant:   ......and me for having no willpower! :D

What good is willpower if not for breaking?  :shrug:

• 2 weeks later...

I need some inspiration.

I am looking at the list of aircraft participating in the conflict and find to my horror none which I want or can build ATM.

My preference would be:

- A OV-1 Mohawk (but I lack the IsraDecals to convert the verenable Hasegawa OV-1B kit into a OV-1D)

- A F_4G Wild Weasel (but I don't see any kits available in my vicinity ATM) 

- A OV-10D+ (also an availability issue of kits - also I#d rather build the 10G version)

- AN EKA-3B Skywarrior (Found a kit on ebay - outprices even the Hasegawa F-111)

- An AV-8B Harrier II (as above, particularly if one is aiming for one of the Hasegawa kits)

Most of the other aircraft I have in the stash are either earmarked for another scheme/loadout, have been out of service in 1991 , or not in service yet, or had the "wrong" scheme in during the shenanigans in the desert (like the Apaches or Thunderboldts)

Currently the most likely entries are - either a Mirage 2000C or a SEPECAT Jaguar or a F/A-18C.

So while trolls and fairies are causing havoc in the bunfight poll, thanks to the power of @Enzo Matrix, there are now only 7 weeks till the Desert Storm GB will be on!

And right in time, I was fortunate enough to get some new reading materials for my birthday (ordered it myself on Amazon 😎). 

e3cbffb6b62c736df2cb885a7c6264cb.jpg

Though I have only had time to have a quick look at the illustrations, the “Desert Storm” book seems very relevant for this GB. But even the “Hot skies over Yemen”, got some very nice colour graphics of some of the very same aircrafts which took part in the Gulf War.

Seems like I had this GB in mind even before it was suggested, as most of my (limited) stash would qualify: 

-      MH-53E Sea Dragon, US Navy

-      Mirage 2000EAD, UAE Air Force

-      Tornado GR.1, RAF

-      A-6E TRAM Intruder, USMC

-      A10 Thunderbolt, USAF

-      F-16E Desert Falcon, UAE Air Force

And no, I will not build them all !!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, desert falcon said:

Seems like I had this GB in mind even before it was suggested, as most of my (limited) stash would qualify: 

-      Tornado GR.1, RAF

butbutbut...  You've said them, now you have to build them.  It's The Law.   You know you want to...  :wicked: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, desert falcon said:

-      Tornado GR.1, RAF

F-16E was not in the Gulf war.

• Thanks 1

Oops... I just ran into a thread about (Academy 1:72) F-15C MSIP:s and it said these (the real ones) were quickly dispatched to the Gulf before Desert Storm. I have one kit in my stash I've been trying to trade for more than a year now and as it doesn't move I might as well keep it. If a kind fellow Britmodeller could help me and tell me which decal set I should get to replace the Oregon ANG set, I might slide into this too :hmmm:. V-P

• Like 1

If you go to www.dstorm.eu and then onto their decals section and scroll down to the area for the F-15C, it will give you all the information that you require. I am not sure if most of the sheets stated there are available, but you can get some idea. If you are still unable to find something you can always have a look in the sites "planes and nose art" which will give you all the F-15Cs that went to the area and you maybe able to cobble something together using an ordinary F-15C decal sheet. Sorry I am somehow unable to put up links, but I hope that this is of some help.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

Oops... I just ran into a thread about (Academy 1:72) F-15C MSIP:s and it said these (the real ones) were quickly dispatched to the Gulf before Desert Storm. I have one kit in my stash I've been trying to trade for more than a year now and as it doesn't move I might as well keep it. If a kind fellow Britmodeller could help me and tell me which decal set I should get to replace the Oregon ANG set, I might slide into this too :hmmm:. V-P

This sheet should cover it,

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/TB72099?result-token=6qHxq  

• Thanks 1

It is going to be a Nimrod from me, XV244 "Battle Star 42" based at Seeb during the war. Despite working with Nimrods at both Kinloss and Northwood she is the only one I ever got chance to fly in so I have to honor her accordingly!

• Like 1

ok I'm now at a bit of a loss what to build for this one having checked the rules (????? :whistle:).

I've been trying to figure out the dates as it now looks like my current planned build is now ineligible, VF-31 F-14A's were only part of the following Southern Watch, which started 1992.

There seems to be some variation in Wiki (no surprise) over these dates or is it how the services decided when Desert Storm started?

Wiki lists USN Op's for Desert Storm were Oct90 to Apr91, with Carriers:

USS Midway  - 02Oct90 - 17Apr91

USS Saratoga - 07Aug90 -28Mar91

USS Ranger - 08Dec90 - 08Jun91

USS America - 28Dec90 - 18Apr91

USS John F. Kennedy - 15Aug90 - 28Mar91

USS Theodore Roosevelt - 28Dec90 - 28Jun91

But go to Wiki just for the Desert Storm Op and it only listed the date 17Jan91 to 28Feb91......so those are the dates I take it were working too? 

My wee planned tank, well someone else is building the exact same model and my stash actually doesn't have any other suitable builds.......plus now that the ANZAC GB is on at the same time and I can't NOT build in that one. Then I may sit this one out...for the moment.

Edited by trickyrich
had date wrong, would have been 91
  • Like 1

On 12/1/2020 at 5:57 PM, vppelt68 said:

Hi,

if you run into any trouble, PM me about pics or info. I am admin/owner of the www.dstorm.eu site :)

On 12/2/2020 at 10:08 PM, rafalbert said:

It is going to be a Nimrod from me, XV244 "Battle Star 42" based at Seeb during the war. Despite working with Nimrods at both Kinloss and Northwood she is the only one I ever got chance to fly in so I have to honor her accordingly!

You were working on Nimrods ? Any chance you have knowledge/pics of their "towed radar decoy" which was supposedly installed/used during Gulf war ?

Keeping my fingers crossed for all your builds and will be watching them closely. If you will need any info/advice/pics, do not hesitate and contact me please :)

Regards

Jakub, the Gulf war freak

• Thanks 1