1/72 Hasegawa Shinmeiwa PS-1

1/72 Hasegawa Shinmeiwa PS-1 . It was a very challenging kit to build . The fit was not great and to add to that the raised panel lines were a struggle to keep when you fill and sand. A very big kit. I still cannot get over the size of those four engines and prop size for this giant. They look small and under powered. But again it has its dedicated engine for boundary layer control system a very unique set up. Also the MAD (Magnetic Anaomoly detector) is unique as well.Very interesting aircraft.  Hope you guys like it.

5bda7144-4df3-4ab6-af70-f9f42862f928.jpg0d73dfc8-ffad-42e9-a22e-2aa0a5eafdb9.jpgf3fae7d0-3e9e-4990-a979-9b869c2005e2.jpg6334907d-b286-41f2-9567-9a774ce261b6.jpg663285a6-3802-4532-ada3-04c2f61854c6.jpgef4b3cea-15e8-462c-852c-91fa716b0aa3.jpg8f961e32-ea24-4419-9a0c-6b61c7187754.jpg

• Like 46
  • Thanks 1

Very attractive build. You overcame the issues wonderfully. As I recall, that kit has been around for a good many years. Came out about the time the original Hasegawa P-2 Neptune kit came out, I believe.

• Thanks 1

Always good to see one of these boats built up as they are something pretty rare.

The kit dates way back to the early 1970s as it is based on the prototype machines which are lacking quite a bit of the modifications added to the production aircraft.

The kit is challenging to build and is big too but you have made a great job of it.

regards, adey

• Thanks 1

Whatever the difficulties in the build the result looks superb.  A very interesting aircraft indeed and an impressive endeavour for a company which had, hitherto, only licence built the DH Heron.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, adey m said:

Always good to see one of these boats built up as they are something pretty rare.

The kit dates way back to the early 1970s as it is based on the prototype machines which are lacking quite a bit of the modifications added to the production aircraft.

The kit is challenging to build and is big too but you have made a great job of it.

regards, adey

Adey. I got inspired by your excellent build. Thanks for that.

• Thanks 1

That's a superbly finished example on show,I've loved  this rare aircraft since I first saw one in my Observers book of aircraft in the early seventies!

• Like 2

An excellent build of a fairly complex kit ; I found the most difficult part to be the join between the two main fuselage pieces and the single piece lower front hull.

In hindsight, I should have used some scratch tabs, then I wouldn't have had such an enormous filling job.

@kapam, the pods between the inner and outer engines are torpedo pods. I did read up on the boundary layer system but it's a bit complex to explain, best ask Google.

Also, check out some youtube vids of the aircraft taking off from a heavy sea.......the thing just about stands on its tail, most impressive.

@vivkulan I wonder why you didn't use the beaching gear for display purposes...... Regardless, it's a stunning model !

Rog

On 6/19/2020 at 3:45 AM, Nev said:

Very nice job.  I have this kit in the stash and I have heard its more of a toy than a model kit.  How were your decals?

Thank you. The decals were totally fine. No issues.

On 6/19/2020 at 8:15 AM, roginoz said:

An excellent build of a fairly complex kit ; I found the most difficult part to be the join between the two main fuselage pieces and the single piece lower front hull.

In hindsight, I should have used some scratch tabs, then I wouldn't have had such an enormous filling job.

@kapam, the pods between the inner and outer engines are torpedo pods. I did read up on the boundary layer system but it's a bit complex to explain, best ask Google.

Also, check out some youtube vids of the aircraft taking off from a heavy sea.......the thing just about stands on its tail, most impressive.

@vivkulan I wonder why you didn't use the beaching gear for display purposes...... Regardless, it's a stunning model !

Rog

Rog. Yes. bottom fuselage (hull?) was a pain and the fitment was bad. 

I didn't use the beaching gear as I wanted to mount this as a inflight display in my room.

• Like 1