1/72nd Academy B-17E kit as. Fortress Mk.IIa(MET), FL455, Z9-A of 519 (Met) Sqn based at Wick 1945

5 hours ago, ForestFan said:

Great job and background. She looks nice in that scheme especially with those roundels!

Thanks mate,.... glad you like it. 

4 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Another great result Tony, excellent work on a fantastic looking scheme.

Cheers MM,.... much appreciated.

2 hours ago, stevej60 said:

That's a beautiful finish achieved Tony,always a fan of British operated B17's this has a nice twist with those upper wing roundel's,great work!

Thanks Steve,.... glad you like the twist and I`m glad I remembered about it too! Yeah I like British B-17`s too,....can`t you tell!! Got a couple more F`s lined up,....one coastal, one 100 Gp,... the latter looks great without that H2S blister under the nose! 

All the best

Tony  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, mick b said:

Excellent as always Tony, I wish I had half your mojo to get things finished ! 😊

Mike

Cheers Mike,.....if only you knew mate! Struggling with my mojo big time at the moment mate!

3 hours ago, woody37 said:

Superb mate, a cracking tribute to the crews who sadly lost their life :)

Thanks Neil,.... yeah such a sad loss too.

11 hours ago, kapam said:

Spectacular build!

It's cool how the inner and outer prop spinners are different colours.

👍👍👍👍

Thanks mate,...... I just noticed the spinners on quite a few RAF Fort`s and they used to taxi using the outer engines with the inner ones closed down too. 

3 hours ago, airbus320 said:

A lovely model in a very attractive scheme! Also interesting discussion about the roundel style!

Chris

Cheers Chris,..... glad you found the roundels interesting.

17 minutes ago, Mark Joyce said:

Nicely done, Tony, and that's an exceptional finish using a rattle can and brush.

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks Mark,..... much appreciated mate.  

Superb job as usual Tony. 

I forgot to do the leading edges on 'Hekla Hettie', something I'll put right soon. I have to something to bring the panel lines out more and break up the expanse of white.

:goodjob:

Davey.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, DaveyGair said:

Superb job as usual Tony. 

I forgot to do the leading edges on 'Hekla Hettie', something I'll put right soon. I have to something to bring the panel lines out more and break up the expanse of white.

:goodjob:

Davey.

Thanks Davey,..... yeah I plan to do one of those F`s myself, Keflavik Cutie,.... from the same unit......  in honour of my Grandad who was stationed there during the war. A slight watercolour wash should do it,........ remember that they had plates on the side of the nose where they had been fitted with ASV antennae. Your aircraft also had the three nose windows without the gun window mod,...... which makes them harder to build from an F kit. 

Cheers again,

Tony

On 6/20/2020 at 12:17 PM, tonyot said:

Thanks Davey,..... yeah I plan to do one of those F`s myself, Keflavik Cutie,.... from the same unit......  in honour of my Grandad who was stationed there during the war. A slight watercolour wash should do it,........ remember that they had plates on the side of the nose where they had been fitted with ASV antennae. Your aircraft also had the three nose windows without the gun window mod,...... which makes them harder to build from an F kit. 

Cheers again,

Tony

I used the Academy B-17E as a basis, it meant I had to fiddle with making an opening for the astrodome on the nose though. I forgot about a couple of small antenna either side of the nose as well but will add those when I do the 're-furb'.

DSC_0016

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DaveyGair said:

I used the Academy B-17E as a basis, it meant I had to fiddle with making an opening for the astrodome on the nose though. I forgot about a couple of small antenna either side of the nose as well but will add those when I do the 're-furb'.

DSC_0016

Very nice indeed Davey,..... yeah that would have been my starting point too,...... and I did the same with the astrodome as well.

Cracking model mate,

All the best

Tony

Cracking fort Tony !!

I'm still jealous of your hairbrush skills....

Very nice result !!

And thanks for the story behind the build.

Very interesting as always !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/21/2020 at 5:21 PM, corsaircorp said:

Cracking fort Tony !!

I'm still jealous of your hairbrush skills....

Very nice result !!

And thanks for the story behind the build.

Very interesting as always !!

Sincerely.

CC

Cheers CC and no worries mate,....... glad you liked it,

All the best

Tony

• Like 1

A wonderful build of an often forgotten aircraft in RAF service.

Amazed with your brush skills, if you hadn't have said i would have assumed it was all sprayed!

Thanks for the history too, don't envy those chaps waiting out the night on the hills, spent time out in a bivvi bag myself in better weather and it was far from nice.

Matt

• Like 1

On 7/9/2020 at 1:25 AM, Angell328 said:

A wonderful build of an often forgotten aircraft in RAF service.

Amazed with your brush skills, if you hadn't have said i would have assumed it was all sprayed!

Thanks for the history too, don't envy those chaps waiting out the night on the hills, spent time out in a bivvi bag myself in better weather and it was far from nice.

Matt

Cheers Matt,....... yeah you and me both re the weather,... I`ve done it without the doss bag or bivvy bag too and you don`t forget that in a hurry,.....it must have been hellish with injuries too.  

All the best

Tony

• Like 1