1/72nd Academy B-17E kit as. Fortress Mk.IIa(MET), FL455, Z9-A of 519 (Met) Sqn based at Wick 1945

Cracking build and an interesting story too Tony. I recently bought the MMP book on CC Fortresses and am bewildered by the number of differences across the many variants and roles! 

Thanks for for the inspiration!

Edge

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Edge said:

Cracking build and an interesting story too Tony. I recently bought the MMP book on CC Fortresses and am bewildered by the number of differences across the many variants and roles! 

Thanks for for the inspiration!

Edge

Cheers Edge,..... yeah I have the 1st edition and it is fantastic. 

• Like 1

Extra nice build. I like the subtle engine exhaust stains. Very believable. The B-17 in that scheme looks truly awesome. To my way of thinking, one of the best Flying Fortress schemes ever.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, SAT69 said:

Extra nice build. I like the subtle engine exhaust stains. Very believable. The B-17 in that scheme looks truly awesome. To my way of thinking, one of the best Flying Fortress schemes ever.

Thanks mate,.... yeah it is a nice scheme for a Fort,...... and probably not seen by many people in your neck of the woods?

4 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

Cracking Fortress, Tony. Looks really good in that scheme.👍

Cheers Vinnie

4 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

Another beauty, Tony.

Chris

Thanks Chris,....

Cheers Fella`s

Sad story. The model of extra quality as always! I am really surprised that in Feb. 45 already such style of roundels were in use. One can learn something new each day...

Regards

J-W

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, JWM said:

Sad story. The model of extra quality as always! I am really surprised that in Feb. 45 already such style of roundels were in use. One can learn something new each day...

Regards

J-W

Thanks J-W,.... Yeah a sad story indeed,........ the hills of the UK are littered with wrecks and similarly sad stories. I have seen an assortment of roundels on Met aircraft during 1944-45 and I think that the stipulation was to apply red white and blue roundels,....I have seen varying styles with small red dots, larger red dots like this one and then of course the C Type which seems to have been standard by the end of the war,.... I think that its resemblance to the post war D Type is purely coincidental,..... I have seen similar roundels in 1940 too! 

Cheers

Tony

11 minutes ago, tomprobert said:

Lovely. The scheme suits the Fortress so well - you’ve done a lovely job. 

Tom

Thanks Tom,.... yeah I think most aeroplanes look rather smart in white coastal colours. 

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MikeR said:

Nicely done, Tony!

Always good to see a CC aircraft modelled.

Mike.B)

Thanks Mike,...... they look so smart in their white CC colours,..... 

All the best mate

Tony

2 hours ago, Dunny said:

Lovely job Tony - the roundels set off that CC scheme really nicely!

Thanks Dunny,..... yeah the upper wing roundels are a bit different eh.

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

13 hours ago, tonyot said:

. I think that its resemblance to the post war D Type is purely coincidental,..... I have seen similar roundels in 1940 too! 

Thanks for that insight Tony, as you know, I queried this early in your build, not having seen the photo of the crash site then. Their proportions are very like those of type D roundels when one might have expected them to be closer to type A proportions, as some CC Beaufighters & DAF Hurricanes retained underwing after the shift to type C proportions, so to be more visible to trigger happy troops & matelots. I don't know when planning for a post war roundel began, but possibly an early ad hoc design like this influenced later developments. :unsure:

Steve.

• Like 1

A beautiful looking Fortress, Tony.  How you achieve such good results with a white rattle can is one of life's great mysteries.  Those 'Type Ds' are very unusual for the period.  I wonder how they came about.  Anyway, a fitting trubute to those who died in that crash.  It must have been very harrowong for the survivors sitting it out overnight knowing their deceased colleagues and friends were just a few feet away.

Edited by Meatbox8
correcting typos
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Thanks for that insight Tony, as you know I queried this early in your build, not having seen the photo of the crash site then. Their proportions are very those of type D roundels when one might have expected them to be closer to type A proportions, as some CC Beaufighters & DAF Hurricanes retained underwing after the shift to type C proportions, so to be more visible to trigger happy troops & matelots. I don't know when planning for a post war roundel began, but possibly an early ad hoc design like this influenced later developments. :unsure:

Steve.

Cheers Steve,...... who knows eh,...... the earliest I have seen that roundel is on pre war RAF Siskin`s and it was worn by many Coastal Command aircraft circa 1940 including this Lerwick;

DSCF8121.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Meatbox8 said:

A beautiful looking Fortress, Tony.  How you achieve such good results with a white rattle can is one of life's great mysteries.  Those 'Type Ds' are very unusual for the period.  I wonder how they came about.  Anyway, a fitting trubute to those who died in that crash.  It must have been very harrowong for the survivors sitting it out overnight knowing their deceased colleagues and friends were just a few feet away.

Cheers mate,.....  as I said above to Steve,.... I think this roundel was used on pre war Siskin`s and popped up from time to time including 1939-40 on coastal aircraft,...... many met recce aircraft adopted red white and blue upper wing roundels of various styles and they eventually had C Type roundels by the end of the war. The orde was probably given out to add a white ring to the B Type,..... with no measurements?

I`ve sat out storms on the hills with injured lads and it seems to last forever,.... not a nice experience and those that did were lucky to survive. 

All the best mate

Tony 

1 hour ago, Bullbasket said:

Nice to see what it looked like before "disassembly". Great job Tony.

Certa Cito and stay safe.

John.

Cheers John,...... much appreciated mate,

Certa Cito 100

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 2

That's a beautiful finish achieved Tony,always a fan of British operated B17's this has a nice twist with those upper wing roundel's,great work!

• Like 1