Flying Dutchman - P-40E, Special Hobby 1/72

Hi guys, this is the 1/72 Special Hobby Warhawk as a ML-KNIL P-40E used by 1-VLG-IV in March 1942.

I enjoyed the build as the kit is really nice indeed. Just the Master brass guns/gunsight/Pitot were added. Gunze paints and Tamiya varnishes were used. I tried DP Casper decals but at the end of the day I airbrushed the "US ARMY" on the undersurfaces and the insignias were taken from the P-40N kit (which will be built quite soon).

Thanks for looking.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 38

Thank you Vlad. The kit is - well in my opinion - the very best P-40 in this scale. And it is really easy to build, very nice and sharp parts. Just two things: I removed some material from the wing in the place of flaps - to have a nice sharp trailing edge. And the U/C legs could be more round - but I was lazy to make them better or to replace them. And next time I will use something thicker than Uschi aerial "wire" as it is invisible in the photos.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wonderful build! Forgive my ignorance, but I don't recognize the national insignia. What nation do they represent?

1 hour ago, Marcel said:

Thank you Vlad. The kit is - well in my opinion - the very best P-40 in this scale. And it is really easy to build, very nice and sharp parts. Just two things: I removed some material from the wing in the place of flaps - to have a nice sharp trailing edge. And the U/C legs could be more round - but I was lazy to make them better or to replace them. And next time I will use something thicker than Uschi aerial "wire" as it is invisible in the photos.

Having built this Special Hobby kit, as well as almost every other P-40 kit out there, I agree and think it's the best P-40 in any scale. For how detailed and accurate the  Hasegawa P-40 series are, those plugs and inserts make them a difficult build for me.

I thought I saw aerials but wasn't positive. What thickness Uschi did you use?  I only recently started using Uschi on my builds and really like it, although I know there are at least three sizes.

Cheers,

Mark

Very nice build of my favourite ww2 aircraft! And of course the RNEIAF. It's also nice that you chose a Dutch "E". The N is more common. The E's never, or very few, saw combat and were captured by the Japanese when they overrun Java island. Also only but 1 picture of a supposed ex-dutch RNEIAF P-40E is known to me, one without the engine too.

Great work.

Erik

Thank you chaps.

Mark, it is the thinnest thread made by Uschi, unfortunately I don’t have the label anymore but I am sure it’s the Superfine - 0,01mm.

Erik, I think I found the same photo - maybe the only one that exists?

• Thanks 1

Love this build! Usually, one would think an all over olive drab fighter would be a bit... "boring", but you've done a marvellous job with the weathering and the markings/decals - it s anew scheme to me, great work :D

Hello Marcel,

Clean and fast looking bird.

Job well done.

If it aint Dutch, it aint much 😂

Regards, Orion.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

An excellent P-40 of a forgotten air force 🇳🇱, which has been nicely detailed with some add-ons. I really like the overpainting effects. The rather basic Hobby Boss Kits can be converted into really nice models with some care and attention to detail as you result shows.

Edited by 112 Squadron