MiG-37MFI "Super Ferret" "многофункциональный фронтовой истребитель"

The fins were extended by adding parts from wings which will not be used in this build anymore:

1687.jpg

The same modification was done for other fin too.

Next step is to modify forward fuselage area...

Serkan

• Like 4

The original kit canopy and windshield are a bit weird therefore I decided to adopt Super Hornet clear parts for this build.

As the nose part needs to be widened, the nose was cut longitudinal and at windshield end positions:

1690.jpg

To fit windshield and close the gap through the slot plastic cards were used:

1691.jpg

The new fuselage shape looks like this:

1692.jpg

Similar modification will be done on lower surface as well:

1693.jpg

Serkan

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Serkan Sen said:

Similar modification will be done on lower surface as well:

1693.jpg

Serkan

(Just idea)

Serkan, for more realistic, You do not want to consider installing a bottom in the area of white inserts module of the station for detecting attacking missiles (SOAR) as on MiG-35:

istrebitel-mig-35-pokazat-07.jpg

from left side and gun as on MiG-31:

0_10cbe5_63c0a148_XXL.jpg

from right side?

B.R.

Serge

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Serkan Sen said:

The original kit canopy and windshield are a bit weird therefore I decided to adopt Super Hornet clear parts for this build.

I’m always thought that the original canopy shape was something unusual and very interesting, kinda gem of the kit... 😬 Anyway, the new fuselage shape is very nice, Serkan! Looks like you’re having a PhD in sanding, isn’t it?! 😹

16 minutes ago, Serkan Sen said:

My current target is to finish this build asap and go back to my pending Flankers and Blackbirds... 😉

Yes, please! 👏

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

I’m always thought that the original canopy shape was something unusual and very interesting, kinda gem of the kit... 😬 Anyway, the new fuselage shape is very nice, Serkan! Looks like you’re having a PhD in sanding, isn’t it?! 😹

Yes, please! 👏

Thanks Nikolay,

With Super Hornet canopy she looks very nice. I had to modify the spine slightly to fit the canopy and I am planning to install canopy like Su-57 way (sliding back).

I did some progress in parallel on Su-30MK and Su-33UBM build for panel line wash. I will add some pictures soon.

Serkan

• Like 3

The cockpit tub was painted and placed  trough the opening at the lower surface:

1698.jpg

1699.jpg

Also the engine compressor blades were removed from inlet duct end:

1703.jpg

1702.jpg

The instrument panel glare shield was also replaced with Revell/Zvezda Flanker part.

Next step is to close lower surface and create nose cone.

Serkan

Edited by Serkan Sen
  • Like 4

Before closing the nose lower surface I decided to install fins and reshaped intake parts:

1704.jpg

1705.jpg

To test overall shape I attached the wings which can be assembled and disassembled any time thanks to metal pin holes.

1706.jpg

1707.jpg

1708.jpg

Although the canards are still missing the aircraft now looks very nice to me...

Serkan

• Like 9

More modelling wizardry from Serkan 👏👏👏

I love how you just get on with it, see a problem, fix it, move on. Great work so far 👍

Alan

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Mikey-1980 said:

Just catching up with your build and your work is superb! 

Really like the shape it is beginning to take as well. :D

10 hours ago, Alan P said:

More modelling wizardry from Serkan 👏👏👏

I love how you just get on with it, see a problem, fix it, move on. Great work so far 👍

Alan

Thanks mates. Such special builds require more time than building three or four OOB kits.

But I am now very close to finish this model and hopefully I can go back pending Flankers and Blackbirds (and Vipers) soon...

Serkan.

• Like 3

The lower nose area was closed using original kit plastics and polystyrene cards. Also the nose cone area was filled with thicker polystyrene pieces:

1709.jpg

1700.jpg

1701.jpg

After a bit sanding and shaping the new nose looks like this:

1710.jpg

1711.jpg

Next step is to apply primer and check surface quality.

Serkan

• Like 5

On 7/4/2020 at 10:20 PM, Serkan Sen said:

To test overall shape I attached the wings which can be assembled and disassembled any time thanks to metal pin holes.

1706.jpg

1707.jpg

1708.jpg

Although the canards are still missing the aircraft now looks very nice to me...

Without canard, it looks like an F-22 Raptor ...MiG-37 "Raptorski"?

😁

B.R.

Serge

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

15 hours ago, Aardvark said:

Without canard, it looks like an F-22 Raptor ...MiG-37 "Raptorski"?

It has to look like Raptor because I have placed it over the F-22 to get new nose and wing shape:

1670.jpg

1671.jpg

Serkan

Edited by Serkan Sen
  • Like 2

All parts were coated with Alclad microfiller primer:

1712.jpg

1713.jpg

1714.jpg

1715.jpg

1716.jpg

1717.jpg

I haven't decided yet scribing panel lines. Most probably I will scribe some major lines on fins and wings but not all the panels...

Serkan

• Like 9

• 1 month later...
On 8/18/2020 at 9:05 AM, Mikey-1980 said:

Hows the build coming along?

Last few weeks I was heavily involved with garden work. I had to remove around 15 cubic meters soil and replace 5 tons rocks and concrete blocks for our new garden design. As you can imagine after such exhaustive work my fingers lost their sensitivity for precise model build... I need to give a short break till I can control my hands again... 😁👐

Although I gave a short break in my ongoing projects I have used this period to study how to modify/improve Academy and it's cheap copy MHM Flankers (which I have dozen of them) to build T-10M series (Su-35 with canards) in 1:48 scale. It won't hurt much when I chop/butcher these kits...

Serkan

Edited by Serkan Sen
  • Like 2