New paint for VIP Voyager

On 6/17/2020 at 5:58 PM, Richard E said:

A bit like this far more tasteful scheme created by Andy Evans which I discovered on the interweb

I have a tingly feeling around certain areas of my body with this image.                                                                                                                                                                                  Take the Support Command titles off, cause, well, we ain't big enough to have one....Small Union Flag painted on the fuselage at the front where the passenger steps rollup to,   Maybe another at the top of the tail.

As for the cost, was the jet due a repaint as per part of its standard maintenance programme ? So the cost maybe what is charged to approve the paint change (I guess there will be a charge and a designer, because there would have to be some top cost attached to that, LAC Smith, J, Slop Jockey in charge of baked beans in the JRM probably would not appreciate the finesse required and the old and bold (30+) just, well, wouldn't be cool.

A thread ban would head my way if I wrote how I would mark the underneath of the aircraft !!

Are the VIP bits all palletised on/palletised off ?

To be fair the 146 above would do

11 hours ago, junglierating said:

Well according to the secretary of state for defence on BFBS the other day he said  quote 'do we need 3 types of transport aircraft ,do we nèed 3 types of support helicopter do we need 8 new frigates.....etc ' ....that worries me.

He has a point if you agree we don’t need three types of politicians either

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

@PLC1966 the Voyager doesn’t have a freight door😕

Trevor

Of course I forgot that, instead of buying the A330 MRTT made for the job version we PFI'd a number of Civilan A330 Aircraft then proceeded to make them fitted for role with of for role without appropriate role kit....cause that was the only way that loon in no11 was gonna release the cash.

Brought to you by the same financial genius who told the world we were going to sell our gold reserves, gave the market time to depress then flogged the stuff way below real value if unannounced.

To be fair, a dumb enough move it could have been made by nearly any politco in the last 20 years they are that bad.

And I apologise Mike, 

4 hours ago, Dave Fleming said:

I've seen mention it is in for a C or D check (Sources vary) 

It's not having any sort of check, only paint.

Edited by Coors54
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, PLC1966 said:

course I forgot that, instead of buying the A330 MRTT made for the job version we PFI'd a number of Civilan A330 Aircraft then proceeded to make them fitted for role with of for role without appropriate role kit..

With respect, cobblers,  all MRTT's start as green civil airframes that are then flown to Getafe for conversion, customer options then decide the fit. Freight door is a bit overkill when the hold capacity is usually sufficient, I would be interested to know how often the Aussies use theirs. The boom on the other hand would have been a good choice but at the time of the contract their Airships didn't want them, now they seem to have changed their minds.

18 minutes ago, Coors54 said:

at the time of the contract their Airships didn't want them, now they seem to have changed their minds.

Are they being retrofitted?

Trevor

52 minutes ago, Coors54 said:

With respect, cobblers,  all MRTT's start as green civil airframes that are then flown to Getafe for conversion, customer options then decide the fit. Freight door is a bit overkill when the hold capacity is usually sufficient, I would be interested to know how often the Aussies use theirs. The boom on the other hand would have been a good choice but at the time of the contract their Airships didn't want them, now they seem to have changed their minds.

Cobblers, ooh I say as Kenneth Williams would say, Great word, not used that for ages.

I get that all start off as green frames, I also guess we never used the freight doors on the ex-Airliners in MOD Service.  Far too easy to have too much freight capability, wouldn't want that. 

As for our Australian chums, not sure what that has to do with anything.  My neighbor has a nice Mk1 Landie which he could take off road, he doesn't, but he could if he wanted too.  Its another club in the Golf bag.

And yes, I believe the standard 'good for everybody else' rather than a 'UK special' fit was what we needed. But on the brightside developing a special variant for us didn't involve us having to spend development costs linked to that. 

However, someone at the top decided they were fine, and I have been led to believe that the person deciding it was fine was under no illusions it was a case of these on PFI or nothing.

The Voyager is by no means an A330MRTT. It has no freight capacity beyond what can be fitted in the cargo hold. The interior features standard passenger seating only, except for the VIP aircraft, and cannot be configured for anything else. It is essentially a standard commercial A330 with refuelling bits added..

As yet there is no firm plan to fit a flying boom, though it has been discussed. The RAF would desperately like it, as an increasing number of its aircraft are only compatible with the boom: C-17A, RC-135W, Poseidon and, in the future, Wedgetail. I suspect that it would be the subject of lengthy negotiations with AirTanker which, after all, own the aircraft.

• Like 2

Seem like a goid decission to out-souce stategic capability :(

RAF is also forbidden due to that contract to add refueling capability to its Hercules and Atlas fleet.. :wall:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Truro Model Builder said:

The RAF would desperately like it,

I wouldn't say desperately, they are now prepared to discuss it with a view to something happening in about 5 years.

3 hours ago, exdraken said:

Seem like a goid decission to out-souce stategic capability :(

RAF is also forbidden due to that contract to add refueling capability to its Hercules and Atlas fleet.. :wall:

Hence why it reduced its Atlas requirement from 25 to 22. The last three were to have an IFR fit. Stupid, stupid...

• Sad 1

40 minutes ago, Truro Model Builder said:

Hence why it reduced its Atlas requirement from 25 to 22. The last three were to have an IFR fit. Stupid, stupid...

Thought it was a shot across Airbus' bows after apparently endless and uncontrollable cost escalation.  Increased price + same budget = fewer aircraft.  Wouldn't put it past the Treasury to try saving a few quid into the bargain, though.

13 hours ago, Truro Model Builder said:

The Voyager is by no means an A330MRTT. It has no freight capacity beyond what can be fitted in the cargo hold. The interior features standard passenger seating only, except for the VIP aircraft, and cannot be configured for anything else. It is essentially a standard commercial A330 with refuelling bits added..

Airbus certainly considers that the RAF got A330 MRTT in its various publications. And most of the fleet are listed as such in various registration listings.

Not all all the non-RAF A330MRTTs seem to be equipped with a main deck cargo door. The following 2015 Australian article pointed out that the French had taken up this option for its second order (8 aircraft) while the RAAF aircraft in service at that point did not. Airbus’ own literature notes that to get that door the freighter version of the basic aircraft needs to be specified. At the moment I can’t tell which other countries have taken the option. 

https://australianaviation.com.au/2015/12/france-confirms-follow-on-a330-mrtt-order/

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, jhutchi said:

Not bad - possibly inspired by the rather stylish scheme which the French Air Force have adopted for their A330 tankers ?

spacer.png

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, tonyot said:

Jingoistic clap trap 😡

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, junglierating said:

Jingoistic clap trap 😡

I hope you mean the scheme? If so,.... agreed,...... should be more in keeping with previous VVIP aircraft in my opinion,...... but the current day Crab`s treat the Air Force like a bloody business and not an armed fighting force!

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, exdraken said:

Seem like a good decision to out-source strategic capability

Eh. 
It's what they teach at Business schools since the mid-80s, what did you expect?

And it's far from the only branch where that happens.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, tonyot said:

Exactly what I feared they would dump on it. Big wavy Union Jack- not like BA and the Arrows have not done it already so hardly original thinking there, more like plagiarism. Where is the invoice from the design team?  School kid stuff. But we don’t all like the same thing so other boats may float

i can’t make it out on my phone screen but what’s the marking just before the aircraft serial number?  Looks like a small roundel and maybe lettering for Royal Air Force?

• Sad 1