Tamiya 1/12 Porsche 934

1 hour ago, kpnuts said:

Tamiya cobalt green ps54

Thanks for that. Up until now, I'd only been aware of the TS range. Can I ask why you favour the PS? Both have Cobalt Green and both have an orange that looks OK for Jagermeister and, although the oranges have different rgb values, they are very close; the cobalts, on the other hand, are identical.

25 minutes ago, MR2Don said:

Thanks for that. Up until now, I'd only been aware of the TS range. Can I ask why you favour the PS? Both have Cobalt Green and both have an orange that looks OK for Jagermeister and, although the oranges have different rgb values, they are very close; the cobalts, on the other hand, are identical.

Aren't the PS paints specifically formulated for polycarbonate bodies? I know they're popular in the RC world.

What was putting me off this kit was getting the colour right, but now I know which one it is I may be tempted again. :)

Yes the ps range is for polycarbonate bodys that's the reason I chose it, i didn't want any problems with compatibility (which I've had with the ts range) I dont know if it was a reaction with my primer or with the ts range of paint so I decided to try the stuff specially designed to work with clear polycarbonate figuring if it's safe on clear parts it must be especially safe on normal plastic 

• Like 1

Hi all well the tamiya supplied engine is done, I've looked on line but cant find picures the throttle linkages, I will have to ask my boss if he has any references (he seems to have an know anything Porsche related (hes an advisor on several official Porsche boards and is highly respected for his knowledge))started the decals, which are great but, the ones round the grill are really hard especially the ones around the square cut outs (if I could have guaranteed the colour match it would have been far and away easier to mask and spray it.

IMG-3557.jpg
IMG-3555.jpg
IMG-3556.jpg
IMG-3558.jpg
IMG-3553.jpg
IMG-3554.jpg
IMG-3552.jpg

IMG-3561.jpg
IMG-3562.jpg
IMG-3560.jpg

Ps I've barely started the decals (what ever happened to the English version (which I much preferred transfers) decals, where did that even come from you transfer the image from one place to another what you de (cant even think where cal fits in) sorry rant over, I just dont understand it.

• Like 7

Decals: Yes, tricky looking. Masking and painting, yes, but colour matching orange can be a real pest. I've just been looking at Google images and they have various shades; most, of course, are on models, which doesn't help. Why are there so few photos of the originals?

Done some work on the fuel tank. a word of caution to anyone building this kit. When it comes to mounting the oil tank, on page one of the instructions it tells you to attach the mount for the oil tank, unless you skip ahead and build the oil tank first dont attach the mount in the first picture the bracket on the left had side is for the oil tank (the shelf with the oblong rail coming out from the side.

IMG-3581.jpg

The steel pipe laying on its side next to it in the next pic goes into the tank and then into a hole in the bulkhead.

IMG-3585.jpg

In the position of the next picture.

IMG-3580.jpg

Here is a picture of the oil tank in position

IMG-3583.jpg

Getting that pipe into the hole in the bulkhead and into the hole in the oil tank with that bracket in place is impossible (on this model of course that bracket was well and truly stuck) so I cut that rail off in order to get that pipe in then glued it back on again.

A better option would have been to attach the bracket and tank with the pipe on at the same time.

Here are some pics of the fuel tank.

IMG-3575.jpg
IMG-3576.jpg

Edited by kpnuts
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

This is really good advice for me for the future, thanks, it's like an additional instruction manual! Question that has crossed my mind - would the hoses for fuel and oil be armoured? I was thinking maybe yes, if so, I'll need to get some more Tamiya braided hose.

3 hours ago, MR2Don said:

Question that has crossed my mind - would the hoses for fuel and oil be armoured? I was thinking maybe yes, if so, I'll need to get some more Tamiya braided hose.

Oh yes! And yes more braided hose needed (or you could try braided shoe laces, if you get the shiny ones they don't fray and you can matt them down for the model, nice and cheap and effective).

For the hose ends (the smooth sleeves) get some beading sleeves from Hobbycraft, again nice and cheap and painted they look good. The jewellery making section at Hobbycraft is a gold mine for car modellers, if you can put up with the funny looks! 

The real McCoy -

19effb4b-2beb-41ee-b502-94a628843ce8.jpg

And one I made earlier -

f4720ac6-fa34-4ccd-bab8-5df2f569efb3.jpg

I think I need to revisit this and beef up some of those hoses!

Dave

• Like 2

Coors54:

Thank you so much, excellent tips. For hose ends on my other efforts, I've used heatshrink over the Tamiya braiding and then painted metallic red or blue. Your laces suggestion is yet another reason why I find Britmodeler so useful!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Coors54 said:

The jewellery making section at Hobbycraft is a gold mine for car modellers, if you can put up with the funny looks! 

Funnily enough I was in Hobbycraft yesterday looking at the jewellery stuff thinking "this must be useful for something" although I couldn't think exactly what at the time.  I did find some ribbon that is perfect for seat belts.

• Like 1

Looks great the shoe lace idea is good.

I used the kit hoses but I do have some braided hose so may well change those.

Here is where I am now.

IMG-3602.jpg
IMG-3601.jpg
IMG-3596.jpg
IMG-3598.jpg
IMG-3600.jpg
IMG-3597.jpg
IMG-3599.jpg

• Like 6

Looks great the shoe lace idea is good.

I used the kit hoses but I do have some braided hose so may well change those.

Here is where I am now.

IMG-3602.jpg
IMG-3601.jpg
IMG-3596.jpg
IMG-3598.jpg
IMG-3600.jpg
IMG-3597.jpg
IMG-3599.jpg

• Like 3

This is all really, really good. I've been checking through the instruction manual, trying to identify where various sections of pipework go to. For example, the intercooler plumbing, kit seems to indicate two lengths going down each side of the car to the intercooler rads. What I couldn't work out is how on earth that achieves anything, until I found a post on Google where somebody had mapped out the plumbing and there should be a cross car pipe between the rads which, as far as I can detect, isn't modelled. Is that because it sits way down low in the front and wouldn't be seen? Anybody know?

I'll ask the blokes at work about the pipes on monday mate.

I must say I'm really enjoying this kit (although I thought it would take longer to build )

The seat is just placed there not glued loads to do to that yet.

IMG-3620.jpg
IMG-3614.jpg
IMG-3613.jpg

IMG-3618.jpg
IMG-3621.jpg

• Like 2

Hi all bought a mirror to mount the 934 on will have the car on axle stands with the engine alongside it, not sure whether to have the tyres stacked or arranged around it, also thinking of putting 2 walls up around it with pictures of the car racing on them I'm going for a look of it being in a museum display.
Any suggestions welcome.

IMG-3637.jpg
IMG-3633.jpg
IMG-3632.jpg

IMG-3636.jpg
IMG-3634.jpg
IMG-3635.jpg

• Like 6

I love the engine stand!  I want one.  I'm going to construct one for my current build.  Was it was useful during assembly?  I'm thinking so.  All around superb work.  

Hi all made a start on the axle stands but had a major set back on the bodywork looked great till I clear coated it and it went matt (strange as I sprayed the bonnet and wings exactly the same way and they are nice and glossy)

I decanted the laquer out of the can and sprayed it through my air brush, the only difference being I sprayed the body this morning (it rained over night) I sprayed the bonnet and wings during the day in the sun (i wonder if it was damp and it has bloomed)

IMG-3656.jpg

IMG-3657.jpg
IMG-3658.jpg
IMG-3659.jpg

IMG-3660.jpg
IMG-3661.jpg
IMG-3662.jpg

• Like 2