1/72 B-17G A Bit O Lace

Hi there

I wanted to build a B-17 that did not have heavy panel lines like Revell and Airfix provide, or have to worry about shimmining the wings of a NMF build that is needed for the Academy set. My cunning plan was to buy the Hasegawa kit and re-scribe it. Here is the kit with the KitsWorld decals to be used.

spacer.png

The cunning plan fell apart as soon as I got the parts out of the plastic bag. Even though Hasegawa have been selling this kit for years with my preferred marking scheme, the kit comes with staggered waist gun positions which came after Miss Lace left the factory.  So, plan B was mark the position for a new window using the raised panel lines as reference. This was cut and the old opening filled in.

spacer.png

That looked good until the 2 fuselage halves were lined up. The windows did not match. Someone in the Hasegawa factory did someting right with this kit as the raised panel lines do fit the staggered waist windows. It just so happens that the panel lines are different from one side to the other.

spacer.png

Time for Plan C, move the window again, here it is.

spacer.png

Now the windows line up better in plan view.

spacer.png

One really positive surprise with this kit is how well the wings join the fuselage, no putty expected here but some needed to fill the sink marks.

spacer.png

More pics in a few days after the window story is complete and the intercooler and oil cooler inlets are boxed in to the wings.

Regards Toby

• Like 15

The side window move was successful, verified with Tamiya grey primer followed by Alclad Aluminium.

spacer.png

The Hasegawa wings come with all the oil cooler and intercooler intakes open whic is nice. They just need boxing in with plastic card.

spacer.png

And from the inside:

spacer.png

spacer.png

The following plans include:

Rescribibg the wings and fuselage after the putty work

Button op the wings

Paint the interior walls

Add seatbelts, using tape, to the visible seats

Fill up the tail gunner space with seat and gunsite

Fill up the Bombardier compartment with panels, ammo boxes and ammo belts

regards Toby

• Like 10

I have made a bit of progress busying up the nose and tail of this kit.

The nose hase received extra instruemen panels for the Bombardier and I have made some slleeves to support the cheek guns in the nose walls. An ammunition box has also been made for the cheek guns. On the matter of the belt ammunition feeds the ideas of using folded masking tape or brass wire were quckly discarded. Plan C is to make the feed from a convoluted strip of thick paper which came to mafter remembering how to make cross belts for my Historex figures.

A nose turret gun sight needs to be made as well.

The tail gunner has a floor and ammunition boxes. A simple seat has been made, a gun sight awaits as well.

Onto the pictures.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Progress has been made but it has been slow recently.

The ammunition boxes have been painted to look like plywood. Supports were made for the cheek and waist guns so the guns actually had something solid to attach to. In the case of the waist guns the window opening around the gun was enlarged and supports back to the fuselage were made. A floor was made for the waist gunners, it was surprising how much could be seen through the waist gunner windows.

Ammunition belts were made by cutting the shape out of cardboard, priming with matt black and then painting. These are shown below with the scratch built gun sight for the chin turret. Extra detailing is being limited to what can be seen when the windows are in.

The intercooler vents in the top wing were deepeed slightly using my scribing tool to make them look more like holes.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Regards Toby

Edited by Planebuilder62
pictures added
  • Like 4

This is looking good - a lot of time and effort is going into this!

For information, B-17s were unpainted internally, other than the flight deck. The whole fuselage was left in natural metal, with only the cockpit area being painted bronze or dark dull green - interior green was never used. I thought you may be interested to know considering the extra work you are putting into this build. 

All the best,

Tom

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The Hasewaga B-17 looked always good in shape even for an older model. Not as detailed as the newer Academy one then, but very convincing.  Nice work so far on that one.  I like that kit for a good representation of the real thing without too much fuss/zz of the interior, bomb bay, flaps etc.. Maybe something on the wheel bays, which would be visible.  And the nose clear part looks correct!!

Cheers.

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Been busy with summer for the last few weeks but some progress has been made. After priming with Tamiya grey primer anf polishing with Micromesh 4000, Alclad Aluminium was sprayed on. The bottle I used was a few years old and half full. The Alclad clogged up the air brush repeatedly and this resulted in a gritty finish. This was polished off with coarser Micromesh ready for round 2 of the Alclad. Before spraying that I noticed the lamding light windows needed help. They had the same profile as the wing but were a bit short so they were packed out as shown here.

spacer.png

To avoid spraying Alclad on my hands when handling this plane I put on disposable gloves. Half way through spraying I noticed the Alclad that was sprayed onto the gloves ran off on to the plastic. Oops.

spacer.png

Ho hum. More rubbing down needed. The affected area was masked off for priming.

spacer.png

Well that went OK, the plane was Alcladed again, third time lucky. Some panels were masked and Dark Aluminium sprayed on some, White Aluminium on others. The contrast looks too much but I will wait for daylight to figure out what to do next.

Regards Toby

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Painting has started. An undercoat of white was put on the the yellow. Xtracolour Insignia yellow was sprayed on. Being in too much of a hurry caused the first yellow coat on the tail to run meaning that it had to be rubbed down and repainted. As the Xtracolour is gloss for decaling the masking/decalling sequence is a bit un-common. A coat of Alclad matt varnish went on over the yellow and the aluminium covered control surfaces. This will give a simple contrast for the fabric control surfaces.

spacer.png

For interest here is a picture of 2 other builds in progress. Iconic shapes all of them. The Heinkel and Spitfire builds can be found over on the Group Builds.

spacer.png

• Like 6

Nicely done.  I love the comparisons with the other aircraft.  You can really see from this how small the B-17 truly is, despite its being a "heavy" bomber with four engines.  But then again, it reflects 1930's expectations and tech limitations.  Eager to see the "big reveal" after you remove the masking.  Best, Alex.

And here is the plane with the masking removed. There was a small lip where the yellow paint touched the masking tape. This was rubbed down with a fine sanding stick and the yellow touched up.

Here it is.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Planebuilder62
typo corrected
  • Like 10