Cromwell D-Deck

Ray_W

Hi Guys,

Hope you can help. I am planning my next build which will be the Tamiya Cromwell. I have not chosen the subject but it will be in the June-August 1944 period. Possibly around Villers-Bocage and preferably not those Cromwell's that suffered in the town. Last year I built a Hill 213 Tiger 1 so it is a nice match up. 

Question relates to the D-Deck. It looks a simple modification without using the Accurate Armour resin. 

Cromwell_Construction_1

There appears to be some bolt hole detail around the shortened middle hatches to be added and I am aware of the commander cupola possibly needing additional viewing ports.

Too simple? What am I missing?

Ray

If you look on here you'll see on the second page a comparison between the early and late decks.

BTW. It's a good job that you didn't use the AA deck as they still got it wrong. Rescribing is the best way.

John.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

If you look on here you'll see on the second page a comparison between the early and late decks.

BTW. It's a good job that you didn't use the AA deck as they still got it wrong. Rescribing is the best way.

John.

Hi John,

Thanks for the quick reply. Brilliant! I am going to do this as a WIP when I finish the current build. Getting ready. Expect to start next weekend. 

Ray 

• Like 1

The part I found difficult were the triangular surrounds for the locking latches for the new hatches, 2 each. And I damaged a couple of existing ones while filling, sanding etc.

I ended up using the brass ones from the Voyager etch set

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Das Abteilung said:

I ended up using the brass ones from the Voyager etch set

Good pointer, I will try to fabricate in the first instance. We''ll see how we go.

Ray

2 hours ago, Ray_W said:

Good pointer, I will try to fabricate in the first instance. We''ll see how we go.

Ray

If I remember correctly, I made mine from thin card. If you get a strip of card, the same width as the triangular locks, and cut and sand them to shape, then drill a hole in the middle, before cutting it from the strip and glue in place.

HTH's

John.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bullbasket said:

If I remember correctly, I made mine from thin card. If you get a strip of card, the same width as the triangular locks, and cut and sand them to shape, then drill a hole in the middle, before cutting it from the strip and glue in place.

Thanks John,

Sounds good. I'll start the WIP thread this evening.

Ray