Here is my model of the F-15 Streak Eagle Time to Height record holder. 

This started life as the Hasegawa set with the Streak Eagle nose probe and decals in the box. A few changes were made to the set as it was built to be a closer replica to the record holder in addition to using the extended nose probe from the kit. These changes were:

1. Over the shoulder video camera added behind ejection seat port side to view the instrument panel.

2. Additional antenna fitted under the canopy.

3. Front nose gear door fiited in the open position when on the ground. This was done because the plane accelerated so fast that the gear doors did not have enough time to cycle from closed to open and then closed when taking off.

4 HUD removed.

5. Cannon opening closed off.

6. Main air brake reduced in size.

Other than that, all that needed to be done was complete the build and paint it. The Hasegawa set comes with a full decal set for this plane with the old off white colour Hasegawa used to have. The colour guide in the instructions was all black and white so something had to be done. These are lots of pictures out there of the Streak Eagle and they all show different colous for the same panel. I guess this is to do with the relative position of the sun. Microscale’s Streak Eagle decal set was bought was well. The decals were ‘white’ where they should be as well as thin. The placement guide was still in black and white though.

Rocketeer decals bought out a decal set for this kit that came with a colour guide in colour that made sense when looking at the internet images. This set was used for the build and the painting guide.

I am a big fan of Alclad 2 for NMF finishes so some experimenting was done. A couple of good things about Alclad that came in handy here is that you can mix the colours in your airbrush, and change the tone of a colour by misting a different colur over the top of it. Some experimentation was carried out as shown below. Copper, Brass, Pale Burnt Metal, Titanium Gold, Magnesium, Aluminium, Dark Aluminium and Jet Exhaust are some of the shades used, mixed and misted.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Anyway, here is the plane in its multi coloured glory. There were about 15 different colours, mixes or mists used during the build. The Rocketeer decals were fantastic.

Regards Toby

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 36

I'm old enough to remember when Streak Eagle set those records. Your model replicates the finish on that airplane extraordinarily well. Thanks for telling us how you accomplished that.

Superb 'bird of prey in a great hurry'!

Like SpeedyGonzales, I've procrastinated building a Streak Eagle for a couple of decades. But now you've done it instead, so I'll tick it as completed. 😉

Beautiful work! And a fun detail about that nose gear door…

Kind regards,

Joachim

Great finish, as always, Toby.

Pity I couldn't see it 'in the flesh' during one of our regular club sessions.........maybe someday I will get back to Stavanger.

Mark

• Like 1

Wow, that looks beauitiful. Great work!  I think you could have never achieved such a result with the colour charts of the 70'/80' Good to see technology has made progress till now. Cheers