1/72 F-89D Vermont ANG

#12 in the Vermont ANG history, now complete all the way to about 2006 or so.  PLEASE someone do decals for their GE-powered Vipers in 72nd....

Revell kit, Pavla cockpit (much needed improvement).  Alclad finish. 

Decals scrounged from 2 Scorpion kits plus Hasegawa and Microscale sheets for the F-4, F-102 and F-100, some Repliscale lettering.  Some lettering from A.I.R. (Aircraft In Review) decal sheet #8 for ANG markings, but it was old and the letters tended to crack apart leaving me to desperately try to piece them together on the airframe.  Easy to find decals for Tomcats and Vipers, but almost non-existent help for F-89's! 

Very bland markings on this bird overall; there were some D's with a stripe on the tail and some sort of unit badge, but no clear view of said badge and absolutely no decals, of course.  Had to go with this option.  As my friend Brian P once told me when looking at my F3H, "It's amazing to think they used to build airplanes like that!"

0L9UWBu.jpg

6Aauo8H.jpg

5KrSBAn.jpg

q05eB8t.jpg

5MSC5C5.jpg

IngPgi5.jpg

rGPDLPF.jpg

• Like 21

Superb collection.  Stunning work.  You live in AZ, why the fascination with VT ANG?  Served with them?   Man, seeing the F-89 next to the F-4 shows what a monster the Scorpion was.  

8 minutes ago, Ad-4N said:

Man, seeing the F-89 next to the F-4 shows what a monster the Scorpion was.  

The F-89 was a big airplane but I suspect the dark colors of the F-4 model, in contrast to the shiny F-89, might distort the size comparison, if only a little bit. No doubt, a beautiful model and an awesome collection.

Thank you for the kind comments!

-Reini, the kit was decent, although the instructions are incorrect, having the main gear legs reversed. The Pavla cockpit was a definite improvement!

-TheyJammedKenny!, Vermont flew the F-89D from 1958-60, and then the F-89J from 1960-65.

-Neil5208, it's an Alclad job.

-Ad-4N, I was born in Burlington VT, where the Vermont ANG is based. My dad worked at the GE plant in jet engine design and would often hang out at the airport watching and photographing the Guard's F-102's.  Vermont is special to my family even though they're not from there, and we moved when I was young.  I have a habit of doing collections; I did the entire Jolly Rogers history over a ten-year period, 31 models strong.  When I decided to do the F-102 that flew over my birthplace when I was born, I just kinda got on a kick to research and do their history as well.

-SAT69, I was amazed to find the 89 is definitely much bigger than the Phantom, it isn't an illusion!

In my research I came across a funny story about the Vermont Guard's Scorpions.  At that time they shared the airport with an active frontline (non-ANG) Interceptor squadron, the 37th. The 37th of course had the frontline stuff and the Guard had the hand-me-downs.  

When Vermont had Scorpions, the 37th had F-102's.  The rivalry was thus between the supersonics and the non-supersonics.  

Apparently one of the 37th's F-102's blew out a bunch of the town's windows including at a church.  The Guard quickly took the opportunity to claim responsibility, spreading the rumor that their F-89's were powerful enough that they had done the deed!

Edited by Andrew D Jolly Rogers guy

Way cool Andrew!   I love your  NMF, very effective indeed.  Take a bow sir!:clap2:

Your model reminds me that I have the Revell 1/48 version languishing in the stash locker (not even out on the shelf stash😉).   I need to take that kit out and give another look someday...🙂

1 hour ago, 28ZComeback said:

Which shade of Alclad?  You are a superb craftsman!!  

Wow, you're too kind, thank you....I start with Polished Aluminum and then redo some of the panels in Airframe Aluminum and finally just a couple in regular Aluminum.  

Lovely NMF Scorpion. 👌 I’ve that kit in the stash. I liked the collection and the reason for this build but I’ll stick to a more colourful option 😏

1 hour ago, Chrisj2003 said:

I liked the collection and the reason for this build but I’ll stick to a more colourful option 😏

I don't blame you one bit.  Vermont had such wonderfully marked P-51D's and F-94B's, but then I look at their bland P-47's and their Scorpions and see what neighboring ANG units did with the same airframe and I get jealous....

The good side is it made it easier to mark, since the available Scorpion aftermarket decals are just about nil....

• Like 1