Blackburn NA39 Redux

I've previously attenpted to build an NA39 in this GB, using the Scale Resin kit.  Unfortunately, it's a little bit beyond my skills at the moment so I have put it back in The Stash mostly untouched.  I say "mostly" because the folding radome parts have donated themselves to my folded up Buccaneer S2 build in this GB.

I still want to build an early Buccaneer though.   Thankfully Aerocraft Models   @Ali62 have come to the rescue with two timely and very nice conversion kits.

So, like a phoenix rising from the ashes *  here is my NA39 conversion.

* Okay, not really a phoenix, 'cos then it would be in 809 NAS markings. :D  But you get the idea...

First off, we have the new tool Airfix Buccaneer S2.

spacer.png

And the two conversion sets from Aerocraft,

spacer.png

As you can see, packing is minimal with no instructions.  Aerocraft are taking advantage of the internet and making all of their instruction sheets available for download from their website.  A very good move in my opinion.

https://aerocraftmodels.bigcartel.com/

I do have to point out that Airfix seem to be making an effort to bankrupt me,  Aerocraft are conspiring with them.  Consider all the 1/48 Hunter resin sets that they have produced recently... :fool: 

• Like 3

This is the main set first.  This set is essential to the conversion.  It provides the intakes, some internal bracing pieces and two engine turbine parts.  The whole package has been carefully thought out to provide some robustness to the fuselage when the S2 intakes have been removed as well as some large mating surfaces to help in fitting the intakes.

spacer.png

Back when the Airfic Bucc was in development, I speculated in the rumourmonger thread about whether someone would produce a resin conversion set for the S1.  I specifically mentioned Aerocraft as a possibility.  However, I thought that such a set would be rather expensive as it would require replacing the two largest parts in the kit with resin parts.  Obviously Aerocraft thought differently...  :D   this is not an expensive conversion set.

The other set deals with the exhaust fairings and the airbrake.  The Airfix kit provides airbrake parts with a heat shield fitted.  These resin parts are replacements with no heat shield.   As Aerocraft point out on their website, this set isn't strictly necessary as the relevant kit parts can be modified by filing and sanding.  However, the set is nice and very inexpensive.

spacer.png

• Like 4

Let's get started.  Hold on tight, rider!  :D 

It's always a big step to go all hack and slash on a nice kit. I thought I would take that big step first so I don't get the chance to wimp out.

spacer.png

Too late to go back now.  Alea iacta est. 

• Like 7

Even with the conversion kit, there will be some extra work needed to depict an NA39.  The fin needs the leading edge intake to be removed and repositioned on the side.  The arrestor hook also requires a bay for stowage.  I think I'll take the easy way out and just depict closed doors.

• Like 2

On 16/06/2020 at 18:14, Enzo Matrix said:

I think I'll take the easy way out and just depict closed doors.

I'm taking the easy way out just by watching, i didnt know about this conversion ,cut away!

• Haha 1

Looks like a good option for you Enzo. Don't forget that the NA39 also had longer exhaust pipes. The heat shields appear to be where the longer pipes were attached to the fuselage. You don't seem to have these in your pile of parts. 

Take a look at my build for reference. I used some plastic tube faired in with Milliput. 

Colin 

7 hours ago, Colin W said:

Don't forget that the NA39 also had longer exhaust pipes. 

Thanks Colin.  That's true for the prototype NA39 aircraft, such as your (excellent) build.  The pre-production aircraft were continually modified until the later ones were almost up to S.1 standard.

This build is one of those aircraft, in service use with the IFTU  700Z NAS. Although still officially designated NA39, it was effectively an S.1 with detail differences.  I chose this aircraft because I really wanted to do the scheme with the white tail and tan radome. 

• Like 2

True that the later NA39 were close to the final S1 standard. This Group build really emphasised the differences between the NA39 series. 

Colin 

3 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

This build is one of those aircraft, in service use with the IFTU  700Z NAS. Although still officially designated NA39, it was effectively an S.1 with detail differences.  I chose this aircraft because I really wanted to do the scheme with the white tail and tan radome. 

This one.  https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/161413

• Like 1

Nice! What's not to like about an S1 in White/EDSG with the all-important pale blue 'LM' on the fin? Will watch this one with interest.

Mark. 

• Like 1

Having hacked and slashed at the other side, it's now time to build things up again.  The undercarriage bays were built and painted according to the kit instructions.

spacer.png

And then the remains of the fuselage uppersurface was added.  In order to keep the whole thing quite robust, the kit part which includes the engine faces is cut down and added into the mix.

spacer.png

I've also added some ballast.

spacer.png

Now to work on the rear fuselage.  The exhaust "pen knib" pfairings were removed following the Aerocraft instructions.  The resin replacements were added and the whole assembly glued together.   I have also removed the intake from the fin leading edge.

spacer.png

The resin parts look like they stand proud of the kit parts.  That's just the lighting.  Admittedly they need a bit more work to fair in but an the whole I'm pleased with it.

• Like 4

On a bit of a roll with this one.  The next stage is to install the resin blanking plates.  These just prove some extra rigidity to the assembly.

spacer.png

I'm used to fairly major conversions like this being quite flimsy until all the parts are added.  There is usually a lot of creaking from the plastic. This one isn't like that.  The assembly you see here is just as sturdy as the standard kit components.  No creakage whatsoever.  :thumbsup:

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

No creakage whatsoever.

Good to know when I get round to mine (which sadly won't be in this GB now as I'll be getting back to work next week).

Mark.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Next step:  The cokpit and forward fuselage were built following the kit destructions.  The only thing to note is that the intrake mounts should be sanded off entirely, as should the raised rectangular poanel on the lower starboard side.

spacer.png

Added the rear fuselage.

spacer.png

The the forward fuselage.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Next comes the exciting bit!  :bounce: 

• Like 2

The interiors of the intakes were painted Lidecolor UA549.  I'm lucky with this scheme as the intakes are easy to paint.  It will be a bit for difficult for the in-service S1 aircraft as the Extra Dark Sea Grey / White demarcation continued into the intakes.

The engine faces are nice castings by Aerocraft.  I've also taken the opportunity to add some more ballast...

spacer.png

Ready for the moment of truth! 

spacer.png

And fitted. Filled in with Milliput.

spacer.png

• Like 8

You look to be making good progress with this one Enzo :) 

Tempted to take this route to an S.1 myself rather than trying to butcher the 48th scale kit :hmmm:

• Like 1