The last Douglas DC-6B

A few pictures of my DC-6B, the Heller kit in 1/72.

The model depicts the very last DC-6 built as she looked during most of the 1990’s, when being flown by NCA on charter flights and a weekly scheduled service from Windhoek to Victoria Falls.

This aircraft was originally ordered by Yugoslav Air Transport, and immediately used my Marshal Tito as his official aircraft. When he upgraded to a jet, this DC-6, along with the second last DC-6 built, where donated to Zambia. Here they were hardly used and eventually stood abandoned for almost 20 years. The two aircraft then came to Namibia when the charter company NCA was offered several tonnes of DC-6 spares to keep their cargo aircraft doing UN relief flights in Angola operational. The deal however required the two abandoned DC-6B’s to be removed from Lusaka airport. The two air frames were found to be in remarkably good condition, due to the low initial usage. In a 2 week operation both aircraft were made flight worthy and departed to Namibia. Here they were restored for the charter business. Being christened “Fish Eagle” and “Bateleur” respectively. However, as everything flying is becoming more and more cutthroat, the feasibility of operating them diminished. Fortunately for this DC-6, Red Bull bought the aircraft, and they did an even more thorough restoration of the aircraft and kitted her out with a nice health monitoring system and the works.

As part of my studies in engineering, I had to do some industry relevant work/job shadowing. I wanted to gain some insight to aircraft maintenance, and as my dad knew the boss of NCA, I was able to spend a few months at their maintenance facility. With my anorexic student build, I was put to good use for cleaning the inside of the fuel tanks and any confined spaces. I learned that I could fit completely into the nose gear bay of a Cessna 310 for example. The DC-6 on the other hand was like going first class…. During my time there, I decided to build the DC-6 kit I had; taking the opportunity to cross-reference details in person (remember that this was before cellphone cameras and proper internet).

All extra detail on the model is scratch built and the markings were hand painted with toothpicks and fine brushes. Alu-foil covers the bottom of the fuselage, as that area was always polished clean.

I have since acquired another DC-6 kit, with the intention of building it as she currently looks in Red Bull markings.

50012958977_8b90be58d5_c.jpg

50012959202_c0573e5960_c.jpg

50012168493_214a4be239_c.jpg

50012699466_7f261bec85_c.jpg

50012699776_dfa706e275_c.jpg

50012960627_9b0d6eeb6c_c.jpg

50012960822_ff1f6ba5f2_c.jpg

50012961162_11ed0616af_c.jpg

50012961652_5f88994dba_c.jpg

R

Edited by Rizon
Photo links corrected.
  • Like 45

Great job on this kit!  Your depiction of the metal work is stunningly good, and I also love how you carefully hollowed out the carb and oil-cooler intakes on the engines.  I really love your finish, and it really captures this queen of the skies well.  I've built two, and it is among my favorite Heller products--bought my first in 1985 at the Smithsonian's National Air And Space Museum.  

Just for your own reference if you decide to tackle it in a future build: 1) the kit's windscreen/clear part can use some corrective adjustment, for which pre-cut masks are available from Vintage Flyer.  2) If you're a stickler for this sort of thing, the underside of the kit's rear fuselage is too abrupt as it tapers inward/upward.  Correcting this would require some styrene sheet and lots of putty, but only if you want to do it.  And of course there are three different fuselages available depending on the plane you want to recreate: the "international" DC-6B (in SAS colors--yours), the domestic DC-6B (in Securite Civile markings), and the C-118/DC-6A in USAF colors--which gives you the cargo doors.  Happy modeling!

• Like 2

Beautiful model. I especially like a story where the model builder has a personal connection with the real airplane. I'll bet just glancing as this model brings back a flood of memories. I'm really glad this old girl is still flying in beautiful form.

• Like 1

Hi Rizon;

The Heller DC-6 kit is such a good one, and you have made her beautiful! What a great build! Always enjoy reading the history of  the real airplane that is being presented in model form...you’ve done well here...much appreciated. Great job on some fine detail, too. Thank you so much for sharing! :clap:

• Like 1

A thing of beauty! Those old prop liners take some beating for style and elegance. Fantastic craftsmanship and all the extra effort has really paid off.

Mark

• Like 1

Thank you for all comments, and advice for the next build.

The model definitely still evokes lots of memories!

Sometimes I which I had lots of money to play with to buy the second last DC-6, currently still standing in Windhoek. And maybe fit some nicely disguised turbo-props to make flying her a bit more economical and reliably....

R

Hello Rizon,

Top model. Not the most easiest type to build.

The real one is old, but the mold from heller is also aging.

Regards, Orion.

• Like 1