RFM Sherman Firefly. A Sqn, Grenadier Guards. 1/35 Scale.

So after building Wittmann’s Last Tiger I thought a Sherman Firefly would be fitting.

I built this from the box but left the spare tracks and brackets off as I really liked the texture and detail RFM had put into the hull. The model built up fine but maybe a little bit over engineered in places. Some of the photo-etch I found a bit tricky but I was pleased with the end result.

I primed it with Vallejo Black primmer. For the colours I wasn’t sure what Olive Drab to go for. In the end I went for a number of different shades of green from Vallejo to modulate it. The colour and shade might be way off what the real vehicles would of been but I don’t mind that. It then got a number of filters using a selection of 502 oils on the different panels to achieve a less monotone look and break it up a bit. I then gave it a pin wash and some streaking effects, mud and dust on the upper surfaces was achieved with 502 oils. The decals went on fine but I wasn’t confident on using a decal for the recognition star. I used a mask from AB military and I think it turned out well. The lower hull got a treatment of AK dark mud and a selection of pigments was then applied. I then used 502 oils and wilder murky water to achieve damp and wet tones.
I plan on painting a Alpine miniatures figure for it soon. A British Tank crew figure wearing a pixie suit. So will upload another picture when I get the figure done.

Thanks for looking.

50011873633_41cccdaa6f_b.jpg 50012664832_d0153a391b_b.jpg 50011873323_fc5cd8784f_b.jpg 50012406731_3b2298caa2_b.jpg 50012664582_1dfbc97879_b.jpg 50011873418_2bef1bf269_b.jpg 50011873638_0965478955_b.jpg

50036773273_447b0d65c8_b.jpg

Edited by Rangerboy83
Figure added.
  • Like 42
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Alpha Juliet said:

A really nice model (I have one in my stash).  Did you do a build log?

Well done!

Sorry mate I didn’t do a build log for it. I might do one in the future for another project. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Andimal said:

Fantastic work mate. Where did you get the base and engraving done if you don't mind me asking.

Cheers mate. Both the base and engraving came from sellers on eBay. For the base all I did was put some das clay on to make the road surface a bit uneven and then cut some Tamiya cobble stone sheet to size and stuck it down. Brush painted the cobbles some different colours and gave it a wash to break it up.

1 hour ago, Tony Oliver said:

Nice build and paint mate. Looks spot on, just enough to look interesting but not overdone. 

The only problem is that it isn’t from the best Guards Regiment... 🤔

Cheers mate. Just out of interest who is the best Guards Regiment? In your opinion? Lol

50 minutes ago, Steve27752 said:

Very nice, I love the wash treatment, were the boxes on the rear of the turret for ammo storage, or odds and sods?

I believe because the gun was that big they had drama getting it to fit in the turret so they needed to shift the radios. Think that’s why it’s got that storage arrangement at the rear of the turret.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rangerboy83 said:

I believe because the gun was that big they had drama getting it to fit in the turret so they needed to shift the radios. Think that’s why it’s got that storage arrangement at the rear of the turret.

Makes sense.