Revell 1/144 A321neo (A321-253NX Azores Airlines CS-TSH)

Following on from my A319 build it’s time to go up in size just a little...

This is the new A321neo kit from Revell.  Unlike the new A320neo Revell kit this one has an undercarriage and I’m hoping they release a version of that kit with an undercarriage but I’ll eventually build it even if it has to be on a stand.

This kit comes in the Airbus ‘house’ / prototype livery which is fine but my set was damaged in transit and Revell never did send out a replacement.  Having a look around I came across a nice set from Nazca Decals for the Azores Airlines livery.  You can choose from three different options nd I went with this one:

https://www.nazca-decals.com/html/azores_magical.htm

Not sure about the big QR Code thing but otherwise quite clean and shouldn’t present too many issues.  As the particular aircraft I’m modelling is the long range variant it has a different door / window layout I will need to fill the two inside doors but that’s about it.

Authentic Airliners do the 3D window decals for this but placing after-market windows over the top of aftermarket windows doesn’t fill me with joy.  The Nazca decals don’t appear to be plain black voids so  I may compromise and order just the AA cockpit decal set when it’s back in stock.  I’ll see about that when the Nazca one’s arrive in a few weeks.

This is the aircraft I’ll be doing:

Azores A321neo ‘Magical’

This will be the long range version of the neo.

Here’s what’s in the kit:

50010343121_8c34f57fed_b.jpg

Hopefully I can do this one faster than the A319!

Edited by BluesModeller
  • Like 6

Did a dry fit of the major parts before bed.

Fit is good for the most part but the cockpit windows fit could be better.

Also, part of one of the engine exhausts was slightly bent.  I went to gently bend it back into place and it snapped.  Will have to see if I can repair it or whether I can use the part from the other set of engines. Not the most visible piece even if I have to do a rough repair.

Another thing to note is the engraving on the wings is very fine so I’ll need to be careful not to obliterate it with paint.

50010792206_f6ff26d046_b.jpg

• Like 6

Was hoping to be a little further along with this but life - as it so often does - got in the way.  It wasn’t entirely without creative endeavour as I made this papier-mâché volcano with my 5 year old to show his teachers.

50026181342_520aa5ee36_b.jpg

With that and other things out the way I got some time to sit down and do some modelling.

50026181287_a38c97f066_b.jpg

Windows installed and the little cockpit glued together.  Given the not so great fit of the cockpit window It won’t be seen although I was always planning on painting over it and using decals but it’ll help with structural strength.

50026181347_c42e95e9ca_b.jpg

All cemented in and I’m happy to report the fit is just fine.  The kit asks for 10g of weight so I used some 5min epoxy to glue in a couple of 20 pence coins.

50025377193_f97f1c7d05_b.jpg

All buttoned up.  No real issues with the fit but a little care should be taken to make sure the two halves are properly lined up with each other as there was a couple of areas where it didn’t want to.

Edited by BluesModeller
  • Like 4

A little more work done...

The two halves of the wings have been glued together.  Really don’t like the way the flap track fairings are joined together in this kit.  Most of the fairing is moulded on the bottom half and a little tab on the top half makes up the rest.  Each one needed clamping down but thankfully I had some little pegs that did the trick for the most part.  The inside ones needed a little extra clamping power.

some filling and reshaping will be needed on these.

50027173703_c1363f082d_b.jpg

All the way from Germany in one piece.  Right up to the door at which point the postman decides to ignore the obvious ‘Do not bend’ message!!!!!!

50043773331_b02108fc48_b.jpg

Edit:

The decals are intact thankfully.

Edited by BluesModeller
  • Sad 1

Lots of filling and sanding...

Mostly because I always put too much on the joins and make more work for myself, however the cockpit window / roof needed a a fair bit not only to hide the join but blend the part into the rest of the fuselage.  It isn’t terrible but the fit could certainly be a lot better.  Also removed the two inside doors as this particular aircraft has a different configuration than the original A321neo prototype.

I filled the windows with the included clear window strips and then applied filler to make it all completely smooth for decals.  In all honesty I prefer rolling up a sausage of Milliput and pushing it through then sanding any excess.  Again, this is probably a result of applying a little too much filler.  On the other hand, when I don’t it never seems to fill the gap properly.

Also had to use a hair dryer to straighten out the tail fin which had both a lean and slight twist.  It isn’t perfect but I can live with it.  Not sure why Revell made the rudder a separate  piece.  The rudder sits a little high so needs a little work.  30 seconds with a sanding stick and all is good.

Still a little more work to do to smooth out the front edge of the wings and in particular the wing box to the fuselage.

Oh and glue one of the aerials / masts back on!!!

Hopefully I can get a coat of primer on it tomorrow and see what needs further work.

50062732873_2598ac63d0_b.jpg

Does anyone have any experience with Nazca Decals?  How do the hold up to use of Micro Sol / Set.  I know they’ll need careful cutting being laser printed but any other precautions?

Anyways...  So far, so standard.

Edited by BluesModeller
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, BluesModeller said:

Lots of filling and sanding...

Mostly because I always put too much on the joins and make more work for myself, however the cockpit window / roof needed a a fair bit not only to hide the join but blend the part into the rest of the fuselage.  It isn’t terrible but the fit could certainly be a lot better.  Also removed the two inside doors as this particular aircraft has a different configuration than the original A321neo prototype.

I filled the windows with the included clear window strips and then applied filler to make it all completely smooth for decals.  In all honesty I prefer rolling up a sausage of Milliput and pushing it through then sanding any excess.  Again, this is probably a result of applying a little too much filler.  On the other hand, when I don’t it never seems to fill the gap properly.

Also had to use a hair dryer to straighten out the tail fin which had both a lean and slight twist.  It isn’t perfect but I can live with it.  Not sure why Revell made the rudder a separate  piece.  The rudder sits a little high so needs a little work.  30 seconds with a sanding stick and all is good.

Still a little more work to do to smooth out the front edge of the wings and in particular the wing box to the fuselage.

Oh and glue one of the aerials / masts back on!!!

Hopefully I can get a coat of primer on it tomorrow and see what needs further work.

50062732873_2598ac63d0_b.jpg

Does anyone have any experience with Nazca Decals?  How do the hold up to use of Micro Sol / Set.  I know they’ll need careful cutting being laser printed but any other precautions?

Anyways...  So far, so standard.

solutions usually have less or no effect on laser printed decals...the Micro Set or the tamiya adhesive soft can be applied between surface and decal, but in generell most solutions being on top do not have a strong effect.

the best results will be achieved with a simple hairdryer. Heat is the formula for laser decals...obviously not too much/too long :)

i did this with thick f-dcal laser decals and 26 laser decals and it works awesome, actually better than any solvent...but that was on resin, which only bends and doesnt melt. so be careful :D

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, RCI said:

solutions usually have less or no effect on laser printed decals...the Micro Set or the tamiya adhesive soft can be applied between surface and decal, but in generell most solutions being on top do not have a strong effect.

the best results will be achieved with a simple hairdryer. Heat is the formula for laser decals...obviously not too much/too long :)

i did this with thick f-dcal laser decals and 26 laser decals and it works awesome, actually better than any solvent...but that was on resin, which only bends and doesnt melt. so be careful :D

Thanks for the tip RCI!

• Like 1

Possibly for the first time ever I managed to make a self imposed deadline! Outside at half past eight with the light going and the constant threat of rain I managed to get the model primed.

As expected there are a few areas that need more attention but so far so good. Little bit of work to do on the cockpit window and a little more sanding needed on some seams but nothing more than a few swipes with a sanding stick.  Probably the biggest job will be reinstating / deepening some of the panel lines but again nothing too major.

I have a new scriber on the way tomorrow and some Dymo(?) embossing tape.  I do have the Tamiya scriber but the spare blades never seemed to work as well as the first one that was in it.  The new one is the Squadron scriber.  

Hopefully get a coat of white gloss on her in the next couple of days.  The weather may scupper my plans for the foreseeable future.  Once I do get a coat of white on it then I’ll start on the engines whilst it cures.

Mike

50066483381_e3f02b2ac0_b.jpg

50066744692_b61f9b9bd9_b.jpg

Edited by BluesModeller
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...
4 hours ago, luis pacheco said:

Going well.

I already have flown in one of the Azores Airlines´s NEO.

Thank you Luis!

I can’t believe I haven’t updated this in over 6 months....

Well, 2020 was a funny old year wasn’t it?! 😬

I did get a coat of white on it. It sat for a few weeks and even then the Tamiya tape etched itself into the paint.  I have rescued it without having to strip it but it could be neater.

Time to crack on with this build methinks.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Things are starting to move along at a decent pace again.

The main fuselage and wings are finished.  All I need to do with that is a gloss coat and decals.  All other parts are into the painting stage so it feels like I can see the light at the end of the tunnel with this build.  Couple more weeks or so and it should be done.

In some less than good news...  Struggling to see what I’m doing at least when it comes down to finer details.  My eyesight was perfect about 3 - 4 years ago then declined a little to the point I was wearing reading glasses.  I’m over 40 so wasn’t to worried.  Had an eye test 6 months ago to get some proper prescription glasses and my eyes where given a clean bill of health.  6 months later and they’re getting worse.  Hoping it’s a something and nothing and Imdon’t have to worry about whether I can carry on this hobby or not.  Will see at the weekend when I have another test.

Anyhow, here are some updated pictures.  A few niggles and silly mistakes as usual but nothing that is bugging me too much.

A321neo neo Azores

A321neo neo Azores

A321neo neo Azores

A321neo neo Azores

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Decalling has begun!

Airbus A321neo LR

The Nazca decals are slightly out size wise and a pain in the backside to fit around the wing root.  Came close to giving up on them but they are tough decals and stood up to repeated prodding and poking.  There is some distortion of the decals that I’m slightly annoyed with but in all honesty I’m just glad they are on.

I have the Authentic Airliners decals which I was going to place over the Nazca windows but they are smaller so I’m not sure that would work.  The Nazca ones aren’t black blobs and have a minor bit of detail.  I will use the AA decal for the cockpit window.

Unfortunately, I have yet again had an issue with a leather like ‘crazed’ finish developing on the the fuselage after applying the Humbrol Clear gloss.  It seems to be reacting with the Halfords Appliance White even though it cured months ago.  Happened on my A319 build too.  Thankfully it doesn’t show in the pictures and can’t be seen with the naked eye except with magnifiers on and a harsh light pointed at it.  

Engines are half done.  Just need decent weather to spray them and curing time.  

Almost tempted to airbrush them white as I don’t think the subtle difference in white shades will be noticed.

On the home stretch!

I have decals to place on those winglets.  

Should I paint that area white or put a white decal on before applying the Nazca decals or will I get away with applying them straight to the light grey colour?

They are translucent being laser decals.

Hi Mike,

Great job masking the coroguard on the wings it's quite fiddly on the A320 family.

With regard to the winglet decals, I would either paint white or apply over a white decal otherwise the colours in the laser decal might come out too dark.

The engines appear to be the same white as the fuselage but the pylons are definitely Airbus grey and I think it would be noticeable if they were painted white.

Don't forget as there are overwing exits there needs to be overwing escape markings which I don't think are included on the Nazca decal sheet.

https://www.airteamimages.com/pics/367/367718_800.jpg

I can send you some screen printed ones if you like as I've got stacks of spares.

Looking good and as you say on the home stretch!

Cheers,

Ian

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Turbofan said:

Hi Mike,

Great job masking the coroguard on the wings it's quite fiddly on the A320 family.

With regard to the winglet decals, I would either paint white or apply over a white decal otherwise the colours in the laser decal might come out too dark.

The engines appear to be the same white as the fuselage but the pylons are definitely Airbus grey and I think it would be noticeable if they were painted white.

Don't forget as there are overwing exits there needs to be overwing escape markings which I don't think are included on the Nazca decal sheet.

https://www.airteamimages.com/pics/367/367718_800.jpg

I can send you some screen printed ones if you like as I've got stacks of spares.

Looking good and as you say on the home stretch!

Cheers,

Ian

Thanks Ian!

None on the Nazca or stock kit decal sheets.  I might have some spares from a previous build but I suspect they’ll be too short.  I’ll get back to you on that tomorrow.  

That’s a nice overhead shot.  It’s made me realise my coroguard is too dark.  I suspected it was but now I realise how much.  But, I’m going to live with it I think.

I’ve also placed the ‘Azores’ lettering on the tail in the wrong spot.  I followed the Nazca printout instead of referencing the photos.  Annoying as I’d spent a while looking at photos for the main ‘Magical’ section of the decal.  A minor detail, cough, cough!

• 2 weeks later...

That’s all the Nazca decals on save for the engine cowlings.

Also a big thanks to Turbofan for making me a set of over wing exit markings as none come with the kit or the Nazca set.

This shouldn’t be too much longer...

50969854893_9066204b91_b.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Not had much time for modelling recently but I’ve managed to get the decalling done.  Just final assembly and a gloss coat in the next day or two.

some of the decals are missing off the sheet whilst others are wrongly numbered.  Sloppy from Revell.  The decals themselves as well as the Nazca ones have been excellent though.

Pretty much time to wrap up this WIP.  I’ll post the finished model and a link to it in the next day or two.  Thanks for viewing!

A321neo neo engines

A321neo neo engines

• Like 3