Mil Mi-4, 1/72, Hobbyboss

Hello,

Started to work on the Mil Mi-4, HobbyBoss 1/72 kit some times ago; decided to show you my progress.

Kit with several Eduard photoetched and masks sets (interior, exterior, cargo bay) and a decal set from a Romanian supplier; my intention is to create an "all doors open" model with some basic scratch improvements.

That being said, "the stuff pile" looks like this:

Started by removing some nasty ejector marks on the cargo bay celing (the only plastic part not treated in the dedicated photoetched set); before and after:

The machine has a nice landing light in the nose; kit representation is far from convincing:

My effort spoiled by epoxy glue leaking inside the light (an aftermarket headlamp designed for some 1/48 vehicle but fitting nicely the size):

Eduard photoetched dashboard is not matching the kit plastic base; decided to make a new one from scratch including the textile hood and frame (visible on the original and not represented in the kit):

• Like 5

I've decided to paint the cargo photoetched parts on the frame and also the area around the side windows in camouflage color (masking bulged round windows might generate issues latter on); actual windows glued afterwards with epoxy resin:

• Like 8

22 minutes ago, mack said:

The side door from the kit was sandwiched between the two photoetched parts; after all the necessary filling and sanding the paint will be touched-up:

I don't know, it looks nice and weathered for a hard working heli!

Nice progress, I still have an old KP Hound somewhere in the stash.

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Hook said:

I don't know, it looks nice and weathered for a hard working heli!

Nice progress, I still have an old KP Hound somewhere in the stash.

Cheers,

Andre

I also thought about it but photoetched base color (brass) is not right.

As for the KP kit, I had both and, in the end, a kitbash between the two is an interesting idea. Pity Eduard photoetched sets are no longer available…

Best regards,

Iulian M.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, James G said:

Nice work! Looks like I am going to have to invest in this kit at some point...how is the fit?

fit is acceptable till now... but big hurdles are still to come; If you plan to glue shut the clamshell cargo doors, be aware that the profile is not quite matching the fuselage one…

• Like 2

Fuselage halfs ready for mating; firewall is scratch and not 100% accurate; it is only intended to limit the visibility inside. Some benches in cargo bay are in folded position.

40498896_2137613756309138_7877126065615798272_o

• Like 9

Looking great! I'm currently building this kit and I wish I had got that Eduard etch, although the kit detail is quite impressive OOB in my opinion.

Just a heads up, I had a big gap with the clamshell rear doors, the only fit issue I found - but it looks like you are opening them up.

• Like 2

Hi mack, i have much of the same sets of eduard , and some other etch sets for the same type of project, i look forward to seeing this , well done so far, its looking good

• Like 2

I haven't documented all construction steps - especially the sanding sessions. Meanwhile the fuselage is closed with basic painting (just 2 colors) and weathering. The decals were of awful quality with significant silvering. I’ve neglected to smooth the slightly textured surface of the kit and I was surprised how visible it became (actually enhanced) through paint coats. Not good...

20181020_121036

20181020_120929 20181020_121210

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mack said:

I’ve neglected to smooth the slightly textured surface of the kit and I was surprised how visible it became (actually enhanced) through paint coats. Not good...

And not so bad, actually. The surface looks very uniform in my opinion. Excellent build quality, Iulian! 🙂

10 minutes ago, phildagreek said:

It looks good from here.

Have you fixed your headlamp issue? 

negative; it was the only one I had fitting the size; it will have the leaking resin forever...

1 minute ago, phildagreek said:

If the resin has dried clear can you fill up the rest of the space with the resin? 

not really; there are some air bubbles there and there is a clear lens on top....